Homeschooling

Optimus Princeps

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
I have made this argument on this forum in the past. I do not know how exactly homeschooling works, but I will say that the social environment in middle school and high school is important for a person's development. If kids are raised in an isolated envornment at home , they will have trouble when they reach this environment later on. Lots of college kids got some pretty hard shock therapy after being the quiet kids and high school and suddenly being immersed in the college environment. The other students are ultimately the greater influence on your kids. See what the student body of a school is like and if you want your kids to end up like them.
I question how old the people are who have this view. I can tell you from being a few years removed from college that school is not like it was 20 years ago. They are indoctrination camps and your kids can be abused, bullied for not being pro lgbtbbq, etc.. You don't need to send your kids to indoctrination camps to become socialized. Have you seen the average college student recently? They are basically all autistic! They're not socialized. You don't want your kids stuck in a room for 8 hours with fat, no-life liberal women who hate men and hate God being their authority. There are plenty of other ways to socialize for kids. They can play sports, other hobbies, participate in church, etc...

BLMeToo

Robin
Catholic
There are plenty of other ways to socialize for kids. They can play sports, other hobbies, participate in church, etc...
This is something I don't get about people who oppose homeschool because kids won't have opportunities to socialize with their peers. How about putting them in enriching activities they actually want to be in, with other kids that also want to be there? There are so many better ways for kids to socialize with each other outside of public schools.

Stoyan

Banned
Orthodox
Ah-ha, it's that argument again that, kids allegedly need to go to school in order to be "socialized". As if that's ever a good thing?! I agree with Optimus that these schools are indeed indoctrination camps, and what makes them such is the constant propaganda combined with a regimented system which tolerates no dissent.

How in the world is a social environment in middle and high school important for a person's development?! It is in fact detrimental for a person's development, being exposed to these tyrannical beurocratic teachers and abusive bullies, fascists all of them! From personal experience in the US, kids at my school smelled glue as a past time. I realized even then that I don't want to belong to the same society as these people. I am personally glad that I got out of that swamp in right time.

What is "socialization" in modern schools anyways, becoming an obedient member of the society, to be turned into mindless biological robots? No, better to be a free thinker. Better to be a lone wolf than a herd sheep.

Lots of college kids got some pretty hard shock therapy after being the quiet kids and high school and suddenly being immersed in the college environment.

I was fully homeschooled during my high school years, and immediately after went to college. I was basically working alone in my homeschool, basically having to teach myself the subjects using the internet. It was indeed an isolated environment. Yes, I was suddenly immersed in the college environment, not having nothing similar before. Although adjusting to the increased work load was difficult at first, I soon got the hang of it, and went on to be pretty successful in my college career. I don't understand what do you mean by "hard shock therapy". You are throwing around vague terms without defining them. I think that if someone is disciplined, then he can adjust to the work load.

Have you seen the average college student recently? They are basically all autistic!

I would disagree. College is completely different from school. The college students that I interacted with were all intellectuals, respectful, virtuous individuals. There were no bullies, no obnoxious people who would throw books around the class room during the lesson, no arrogant "popular" kids, no glue smellers.

Philip Dru

Sparrow
Trad Catholic
I do not know how exactly homeschooling works, but I will say that the social environment in middle school and high school is important for a person's development.

That social environment that you speak of is exactly the danger. They will undermine every value. Open every nihilistic door. Twist every fact.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -Jiddu Krishnamurt

The other students are ultimately the greater influence on your kids. See what the student body of a school is like and if you want your kids to end up like them.

It is exactly due to peer influence that I don't plan on sending any of my children to school, private or public. There are a handful of decent private schools out there, but even in most private schools there will be a massive amount of propoganda and filth filtering in. I'm surprised you see the power of peer influence but don't see how invariably this is going to work against good parents in this deranged society.

CaliforniaBased

Woodpecker
Catholic
How in the world is a social environment in middle and high school important for a person's development?! It is in fact detrimental for a person's development, being exposed to these tyrannical beurocratic teachers and abusive bullies, fascists all of them! From personal experience in the US, kids at my school smelled glue as a past time. I realized even then that I don't want to belong to the same society as these people. I am personally glad that I got out of that swamp in right time.

What is "socialization" in modern schools anyways, becoming an obedient member of the society, to be turned into mindless biological robots? No, better to be a free thinker. Better to be a lone wolf than a herd sheep.

I would disagree. College is completely different from school. The college students that I interacted with were all intellectuals, respectful, virtuous individuals. There were no bullies, no obnoxious people who would throw books around the class room during the lesson, no arrogant "popular" kids, no glue smellers.
That social environment that you speak of is exactly the danger. They will undermine every value. Open every nihilistic door. Twist every fact.

It is exactly due to peer influence that I don't plan on sending any of my children to school, private or public. There are a handful of decent private schools out there, but even in most private schools there will be a massive amount of propaganda and filth filtering in. I'm surprised you see the power of peer influence but don't see how invariably this is going to work against good parents in this deranged society.

I will diverge the argument here and say it is important for boys/men to be exposed to the harshness of the real world. At some point you must learn to say no to drugs. At some point you must learn to face bullies. Social aptitude is VERY important. For girls I think being too exposed to the world is not a good thing. I do not know much about raising girls, I just know which ones I like and which ones I do not.

In college I faced the exact same social environment as in a middle school. There where bullies and arrogant "popular kids" and glue smellers. There were also intellectual, respectful, virtuous individuals. I learned from being around all of these people.

the average college student recently? They are basically all autistic! They're not socialized.
I agree this seems to be a trend, among the kids of the educated. I am in a smaller city in rural California, and I previously lived in the urban ghetto. At the college I attended (in rural small city in California), most of the first generation college students where and are totally fine as far as being properly socialized. The students are overwhelmingly conservative (including the non-white students) despite the liberal propaganda from the school.

The hood/countryside are a couple decades "behind" the cosmopolitan urban middle class as far as social values. Yes, the drug use and crime,etc. is very degenerate, but gender roles are very sharply defined, and you must be manly to get by.

Last edited:

Philip Dru

Sparrow
Trad Catholic
I will diverge the argument here and say it is important for boys/men to be exposed to the harshness of the real world. At some point you must learn to say no to drugs. At some point you must learn to face bullies. Social aptitude is VERY important. For girls I think being too exposed to the world is not a good thing. I do not know much about raising girls, I just know which ones I like and which ones I do not.

In college I faced the exact same social environment as in a middle school. There where bullies and arrogant "popular kids" and glue smellers. There were also intellectual, respectful, virtuous individuals. I learned from being around all of these people.

I agree that there are a few good lessons to learn from schools. Most homeschoolers, however, have a very easy time saying no to drugs. Much easier than us public school kids for whom it has been normalized. As for bullies: there are plenty in the world. We may just need to seek a few out.

Check out John Taylor Gattos book, weapons of mass instruction. The reasons to keep your children out of the system are far more compelling.

rainy

Pelican
Other Christian
I was fully homeschooled during my high school years, and immediately after went to college. I was basically working alone in my homeschool, basically having to teach myself the subjects using the internet. It was indeed an isolated environment. Yes, I was suddenly immersed in the college environment, not having nothing similar before. Although adjusting to the increased work load was difficult at first, I soon got the hang of it, and went on to be pretty successful in my college career. I don't understand what do you mean by "hard shock therapy". You are throwing around vague terms without defining them. I think that if someone is disciplined, then he can adjust to the work load.
That's good. It's also anecdotal and I say that as someone who can understand both sides of the argument.

I knew homeschooled kids who went off to college and had success. Others who became complete train wrecks. And the same goes for kids who went thru school. Some are fine. Others become failures. There is no one size fits all solution here.

As an aside, I think the best benefit of homeschooling is rarely mentioned here. The result might be, why go to a modern indoctrination camp. I can agree with that. However the solution is parents having the tools thru homeschooling to teach their kids (unless going the trade route) the fundamentals and instilling the ability and self confidence to go out there and build something themselves. A company, a startup, create a product/service, etc. That's the true test.

A major benefit of homeschooling is teaching your kids the skill set needed to actually succeed in life. Accounting, taxes, investing, creativity, problem solving, to be rational, ingenuity, understanding business, so they can succeed outside the employee/employer prison camp. With those tools a person can gear their life towards their interests as they have the foundation to succeed individually and independently.

That's the culmination of homeschooling.

It's not about avoiding CRT or LQBTQ propaganda at a young age. That's just the first chapter of the book. The book ends with a young man being able to transition out onto his own and have the foundation to support himself and his future family without being dependent on the system he grew up outside of.

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
An alternative to pure homeschooling and public schools was discussed awhile ago in Return of Kings and I am posting it here for those that missed it. If public schools followed this curriculum, they would be worth sending kids to. One couple likely doesn't know all these skills well and this is why homeschool partnerships/community schools would be good.

Note: #10-Game for Boys might not fit the new Roosh forum. However, a Christian friendly courtship/relationship class would be useful about how to properly court a lady and what it takes to be a good husband (and a similar course for females). This course would be useful even for non-Christians and likely lead to better outcomes that the modern 90%+ failure rate we have now (assuming one dates 9 times before marrying the 10th date).

Many of these topics can be taught in a homeschool assuming the parents value learning and would enjoy passing down knowledge to their kids, but several would be better in small groups with instructors that have good knowledge and passion for the subject.

This was one of my favorite posts on return of Kings. Schools really do a poor job preparing people for life overall.

Cynllo

Kingfisher
Other Christian
v7u0gNun9Pv6.jpeg

square_it

Pigeon
Protestant
Most likely I would have my children homeschooled from middle or high school. On the side they'd join groups of their interest (ex sports) to make up for social skills. I know a few middle school dropouts, and they do not have problems with socialization at all. The only issue would be a proper education, and I would know how to provide that.

Mike_Key

Woodpecker
The kids in school themselves were ruthlessly homophobic all throughout school. There was not a single openly gay kid. It as unheard of. (I graduated from HS in a large city in 2014)
Back in 1996 - 1997, the large Youth group (80 - 120 kids) that I assisted with and chaperoned a few camps and ski trips - did a "study" of their Pub-lick schools and showed camcorder videos of multiple same sex couples (white couples mostly) openly kissing on school grounds before, during class exchange, during lunch and after school (a few High schools).

I don't know why you are here promoting Pub-lick schools. You care about kids so much that you want them to "toughen up". (rhetorical)

I decided to homeschool my kids about 10 years before I had them when I was forced to take classes in humanities and I was exposed to a handful of homosexuals that were getting teaching degrees. To hear them talk.

No thanks ... I'm a part of a wholesome group that does much camping (95% are Christian kids/home-schooled kids) and all the Pub-lick school kids that occasionally join us are not bright, basically trouble makers. Edit: I feel for them, I exhaust precious energy trying to clean them up. They are fish that need to be saved and cleaned up.

John 3:16

Last edited:

icxcaonika

Chicken
Orthodox
When I lived in the west I also thought about homeschooling in the future, but in Russia it's not a popular idea and not even sure that it's possible. If you were living in Russia, would you still insist on homeschooling?