Housework

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
I don’t do housework every day. Monday, Wednesday, Friday are my work days. I’d say 5-7 hours a week, which would be about 1 hour a day if I worked daily.

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
I used to have such a good routine!

These days I probably spend less than an hour total per day on cleaning and household maintenance stuff. I don't have a schedule or a routine, I just kind of do things frantically as they demand my attention, when I have the time.

We have four adults (me, hubby, brother and his girlfriend), plus my two kids and the one cat.

The cat is a lazy freeloader, and the kids will do basically anything I ask them to - I've just straight-up neglected to load them up with household chores in the past. I am only recently beginning to do this.

I told my husband before we married that housework is MY JOB. I might have been a little neurotic in asserting this in the early days. So he generally does not clean or do housework.

My brother and his girlfriend, I love them to death and they are top-notch housemates otherwise... but they are clueless slobs. They usually do not clean or tidy up after themselves, or when they do, they do it in ways that actually make more work for me than if they had just left their messes. I get a little "lol" in my head though when I think about complaining or trying to "train them" to clean up after themselves: it will be pretty funny if I keep my mouth shut about most of the little things, when they move into their own place and see how disgusting it gets when there is no "dish fairy" or "vacuum fairy," etc. in the house. They really ARE just clueless. I KNOW my brother will eventually apologize when he gets the full picture of what his messes look like when they're allowed to just sit and stack and get old. If it's wrong to hold out for this instead of nagging him now, I don't want to be right. :laughter:

An hour per day is not enough to have the house as clean and tidy as I want it. But it's hard to be motivated to do much more than that knowing that I could be putting in 5-6 hours and would not really be any happier with the state of things, because the root of the problem is just that my systems are not followed by those sharing the space. It's hard to put in more than an hour because I KNOW that without the housemates, and hour would be plenty. Been there done that.

I'm a place for everything/everything in its place kinda gal. They have more of the "where is the closest and most convenient place I can shove this right now" approach.

I DREAM of the days when I can open a cupboard in the kitchen, and never be greeted by the horror of a housemate having cluelessly moved a bunch of stuff into a place that makes no sense, or into a space where something else is suppose to "live" - as I'm going to put that thing away.

For now I have learned to live with a certain constant level of clutter and sticky countertops, as my personal sacrifice toward keeping my little brother out here in the sticks and working hard with the goal in mind of designing and ordering an engagement ring for his girlfriend - instead of being off in the big city somewhere in a modular tube dwelling, engineering by day and playing WoW all night. Whatever. I can live a little dangerously. YOLO!

Luna Novem

Woodpecker
Woman
@Kitty Tantrum That's super nice of you (and your man) to let bro and his girl live there. I'm so introverted, I think that would drive me insane.

I think I'd also be a "place for everything" person if I didn't live with others. Because, if I didn't live with others, I could follow my minimalist nature to my heart's content. As it is, there is just always too. much. stuff.

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
I’d say, on average, about an hour a day. Some weekends I tackle larger organization cleaning projects for a full day, other days it’s just little bits of tidying. Doing dishes by far takes up the most time since I like to cook. Mr. Leeloo splits that with me for a few reasons, partly because I’m having some trouble with my hands, and partly because he likes it.

I don’t really have a set day per week to do a specific room or thing weekly like my mother did when I was growing up (except laundry, that gets done every Thursday) since it’s just my husband and I right now.

Starlight

Woodpecker
Woman
So I kept track of my hours last week: I did 6 hours of laundry (washing/folding/ironing), and about 7 hours of house cleaning (2 hours on Thursday doing a thorough tidy-up and 5 hours actually cleaning the house today, Friday) for a total of 13 housekeeping hours.

Luna Novem

Woodpecker
Woman
So I kept track of my hours last week: I did 6 hours of laundry (washing/folding/ironing), and about 7 hours of house cleaning (2 hours on Thursday doing a thorough tidy-up and 5 hours actually cleaning the house today, Friday) for a total of 13 housekeeping hours.
Not terrible. Thanks for counting for me! :)

Selena

Chicken
Woman
How many hours/minutes a day (on average) do you spend on housework? Don't count cooking; and don't count outdoor stuff like gardening/yardwork.
Since we are four women at home (my mom, my two sisters and I), we share the housework among all of us, so individually we don't spend that much time doing it. My mom made us help around the house as soon as we were able to, so it made things easier for everyone in the long run. I guess of all chores, the one I dislike the most is cleaning the fireplace or the grill because it's disgusting. :squintlol: