How do you feel about Apple FaceID?

PixelFree

Woodpecker
Is it too creepy for you... worried about some kind of future AI facial recognition collected detailed models?

It has creeped me out, and I've avoided it. It really felt like Apple completely designed the phone around this feature of questionable design (who hates the swipe?).

But then I thought, Apple has more than enough selfies of me it could auto detect me anyway.

How do you feel about Apple FaceID?

Security researcher Bruce Schneier wrote once to avoid using all biometric data for passwords, because when it is stolen, you won't be able to go change your retina scan like you can your Yahoo password.

That said, I do use FaceID on my iPhone. The two optical chips that achieve this, code named Jack and Jill, are really quite cutting edge (and didn't even work well when first released). Apple says the face data stored in a secure element on the phone. My guess is that is accurate otherwise the audit Wells Fargo, BofA, etc. performed wouldn't have given the thumbs up to permit those apps to use it to log in to banking accounts. Collecting biometrics for the NSA is one thing, Apple going out of business because everyone's bank accounts got sucked to zero is something else.

2D raster images of faces are everywhere - but fundamentally different than the 3D point cloud that FaceID uses. The latter has much more fidelity. It's more like that machine the Mission Impossible guys use to print masks.

One of the reasons I joined this forum was to provide technology insights from years of working in Silicon Valley and a think-tank before that. Roosh likes discussing the invasive impact of tech and I can provide color for a lot of it (like the new contact tracing in iOS). If you're worried about surveillance, that's good. But I think you'd be utterly shocked at how advanced and pervasive it already is. My conclusion? Buy a rifle and learn how to use it. You're already two years late to the party.

Rob Banks

Pelican
Keep in mind that even if you don't use this feature and you instead opt for the traditional PIN or password, the phone is still photographing and analyzing your face and the data is still being stored and sent to whoever needs it (Apple, the government, etc.).

I don't have a lock on my phone. This keeps me from putting things on my phone that I would falsely believe are private. Obviously I'm not using cloud storage for anything either. When I had social media, it was completely wide open to anyone, "friend" or not. A very wise professor told me years ago: NOTHING you put on the internet is private.

PixelFree

Woodpecker
Keep in mind that even if you don't use this feature and you instead opt for the traditional PIN or password, the phone is still photographing and analyzing your face and the data is still being stored and sent to whoever needs it (Apple, the government, etc.).
That's the question I'm asking here.

I've avoided, and have stayed with Touch ID devices, but have I actually increased my privacy in any meaningful way? (given there are plenty of photos of my face on FB, on my phone, in iCloud, friends phones tagged as me, etc).