How many books have you finished during the lockdown?

louisjxn

Pigeon
I've probably read at least 25 books in 2020. I ordered some and also read some that had been sitting on the bookshelf for ages. I used to be bad about buying too many books and then just stacking them up on a shelf.

EndlessGravity

Woodpecker
Maybe 10. I don't often count. However, I'll aim for 50 going into next year, just because we have little interest in going out anymore.

Bizet

Woodpecker
I set myself a goal of reading 20 books this year (20 in 2020), then Covid happened and I found myself with a lot more time on my hands than anticipated. So I've already finished 21 books in 2020.

My favourites so far have been Travels by Michael Crichton, Finally Some Good News by Delicious Tacos and When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi.

Fortis

Crow
Gold Member
Early 2020 I read a fuck load, but at this point, I just wanna be outside. Much of my reading now is relegated to health/fitness forums and research. I can't really get into novels so easily these days.

Salinger

Woodpecker
How do you guys find the time to read so much? I haven't even gotten through my first novel of 2020 yet.

I got maybe 4 hours of free time after I finish work before I go to bed. 1 - 1.5 of those is for cooking/eating dinner. Another .5 is for exercising. Another hour is for TV. That leaves me with 1 hour/day to read. The problem is, I'd rather be on Youtube watching videos than reading a book so I usually opt for that instead.

kel

Pelican
How do you guys find the time to read so much? I haven't even gotten through my first novel of 2020 yet.

I got maybe 4 hours of free time after I finish work before I go to bed. 1 - 1.5 of those is for cooking/eating dinner. Another .5 is for exercising. Another hour is for TV. That leaves me with 1 hour/day to read. The problem is, I'd rather be on Youtube watching videos than reading a book so I usually opt for that instead.
Read for twenty minutes a day. Just resolve to do that. You'll be surprised how many books you get through with just that.

It s good to cut internet or not have access to phone while reading.
I am finishing a novel now and got 8 books waiting....but internet is always kind is slowing me down and distracting me

EndlessGravity

Woodpecker

Grab an audiobook and hit it on 2x speed. Just 20 minutes a night is really almost an hour of reading that way. EZMODE.

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member

As EndlessGravity said above: get audiobooks. Audible is an amazon company which obviously is bad, but they have everything. Your local library will card will be able to sign up for audiobooks through the library system. You download a program such as Libby, which honestly is a better audiobooks program than audible I feel. Its free to use through the library, though you will have to put holds on books and wait for them.

I do a two tier system where I am listening and placing holds on books through the library. If there is really something I want from audible, I get it from there, using credits. I get one credit a month, so that is around $15 a month. The piratebay also has almost everything too, an option.

I listen to audiobooks when I cook, drive, wait at the doctor's office, walk the dog. Sometimes I relax and have silence, but usually Im listened to a great book and want to keep it going. Cooking is great for audiobooks. I also listen to podcasts then. Driving I much prefer books to music.

I'm listening to Grain Brain now which is about the effects of gluten on the brain and heart. As result Im cutting it out of my diet and already felt some number of benefits.

Salinger

Woodpecker
As EndlessGravity said above: get audiobooks. Audible is an amazon company which obviously is bad, but they have everything. Your local library will card will be able to sign up for audiobooks through the library system. You download a program such as Libby, which honestly is a better audiobooks program than audible I feel. Its free to use through the library, though you will have to put holds on books and wait for them.

I do a two tier system where I am listening and placing holds on books through the library. If there is really something I want from audible, I get it from there, using credits. I get one credit a month, so that is around $15 a month. The piratebay also has almost everything too, an option.

I listen to audiobooks when I cook, drive, wait at the doctor's office, walk the dog. Sometimes I relax and have silence, but usually Im listened to a great book and want to keep it going. Cooking is great for audiobooks. I also listen to podcasts then. Driving I much prefer books to music.

I'm listening to Grain Brain now which is about the effects of gluten on the brain and heart. As result Im cutting it out of my diet and already felt some number of benefits.
Yeah, I'm currently listening to an audiobook which are great since I'm a slow reader. I'll have to start dedicating 20 minutes a day so I can make headway on my reading list.

japtats

I like to use audiobooks (as well as motivation), whilst going to the gym. I run a business, so i typical listen to start up books. The lean start up is the best book to get initially

EndlessGravity

Woodpecker

I'll tell you dudes a secret: I listen to audiobooks on 3x speed regularly. Takes some getting used to but you wouldn't believe how many books you can get through.

kel

Pelican
More popular audiobooks can be torrented from the usual places. There are ebook specific private trackers as well.

Zagor

Robin
Grab an audiobook and hit it on 2x speed. Just 20 minutes a night is really almost an hour of reading that way. EZMODE.
Since when is listening reading? If so, I've just been reading youtube.
On a serious note, I just can't listen to audiobook. If I want to listen to something, let say while going for a walk, i'll listen to a podcast.