How Old Is The Earth?

J.E.

Robin
This is the kind of response I typically get from theistic evolutionists
Your whole assumption is wrong because I don't believe in evolution. The Earth is older than reformed "theology" would like us to believe. That's all. Contrary to popular belief: I believe mankind did not progress but regress with time.

Cavalier

Robin
Orthodox Catechumen
Devil's Advocate here...

As a Christian, I can tell you that science, and the scientific method is nothing to fear, or discount. Christians, and the Christian worldview, invented the scientific method.

In John 1:1, God is described as "Logos" we get our word "Logic" from that Greek word. Christians then said: "God is logical. God must make sense, and the world God created must make sense." The demonic (and clown world) doesn't make sense. Because God makes sense, and the world God created makes sense, we can test it, and understand it.

I fear that in Christianity today there is movement similar to what happened in islam with "Occasionalism". They did away with cause and effect, at least in islam their "philosophical and theological system" allows for such nonsense when the god they worship is "pure will." When your answer to every scientific question is: "allah wills it!" Then progress grinds to halt.

There is the fact the Scientific Method was invented and firmly established in the 19th century. The Holy Bible was written long before then, c. 1400 BC for Genesis to c. 100 AD with John's Gospel . It was not written as a scientific textbook, and to treat it as such is a misuse of Sacred Scripture. I wouldn't want a Newton's Laws recited in place of the Gospel at Mass, and I wouldn't want Sacred Scriptures read in a scientific classroom or lab.

In Christianity, the sort of thinking that happened in islam doesn't work. You're asking me to believe in a God who lies, "It looks like it's old, and everything you can come up with to test it shows it is very old... But really it's only one day old."

That is a lie, and the scientific method should be thrown out entirely.

Lying is a sin, and God cannot sin. If God can deceive us about that, then what else can God deceive us about? If you really believe that God CAN LIE, and that God is lying about that, then what else can God lie about? Maybe God is lying about this: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

I think that young-earth creationism is from The Devil himself, meant to horribly distort people's view of The Almighty's Wonderful and Awe-Inspiring Creation. (I also think taking things too far in the other direction and removing The Almighty entirely is equally wrong.)

Cavalier

Robin
Orthodox Catechumen
God would not be lying or deceiving anyone by a mountain appearing very old when it is only a day old. It is the false assumption that because a mountain appears old according to limited human understanding then it must be old. It is a self deception. After all Adam and Eve would have appeared to be at least 20 or so years old the moment they were created. That would not be a deception. After creation any new creature, plant or natural formation would have started from a beginning and slowly developed. It is difficult to put aside the brainwashing of the Evolutionists so it tends to poison most people’s thinking.

Joe316

Robin
The fact of the matter is that evolution was concocted by atheists in the 19th century who needed to destroy the Creator. The most fundamental religious truth is that of creation. It is the basis of all religion, since it is the basis of the relationship of creature to Creator, which includes adoration, submission to the Creator’s laws, external signs of dependence upon the Creator, reverence, and many other aspects of religion.
Evolution also destroys the notion of original sin, and thereby ultimately destroys the notion redemption from sin, and the need of a Savior of the human race.It reduces mankind to being merely morality-free, advanced ape-like hominids, who may act as they please, just as the animals do.

I find Genesis 1 be a much better test for Christian faith nowadays than chanting "He is truly risen!" during Easter service.

From an atheist viewpoint resurrection from the dead is considered as impossible as a Creation happening within a half million seconds. With both claims you're going to ridicule yourself in those circles.

However under Christians is socially accepted to claim the resurrection, but many are very afraid to claim Genesis 1 being literal truth, because they might get ridiculed for it. That's the real test. Personally for me Jesus' birth, ministry, death and resurrection confirmed the account written in Genesis.

Blade Runner

Ostrich
Orthodox
So all the solar system round objects aren't globes or spheres, and Eratosthenes math wasn't right (go search his name with Carl Sagan showing how the ancient Greeks knew and calculated the circumference of the Earth), and we don't fly on routes that deal with the curvature ...

sorry, it doesn't matter, but it's easily disprovable, I just did

but Eratosthenes did first

FourMarks

Pigeon
They are trolling us.
Monkeydactyl” – Strange New Jurassic Flying Reptile Reveals the Oldest Opposable Thumbs
TOPICS:EvolutionNew SpeciesPaleontologyPterosaurUniversity Of Birmingham
By UNIVERSITY OF BIRMINGHAM APRIL 14, 2021

Monkeydactyl Kunpengopterus antipollicatus
Life reconstruction of K. antipollicatus. Credit: Chuang Zhao
A new 160-million-year-old arboreal pterosaur species, dubbed ‘Monkeydactyl’, has the oldest true opposed thumb — a novel structure previously not known in pterosaurs.
An international team of researchers from China, Brazil, UK, Denmark, and Japan have described a new Jurassic pterosaur Kunpengopterus antipollicatus, which was discovered in the Tiaojishan Formation of Liaoning, China.
It is a small-bodied darwinopteran pterosaur, with an estimated wingspan of 85 cm. Most importantly, the specimen was preserved with an opposed pollex (“thumb”) on both hands.

The species name ‘antipollicatus’ means ‘opposite thumbed’ in ancient Greek, in light of the opposed thumb of the new species. This is the first discovery of a pterosaur with an opposed thumb. It also represents the earliest record of a true opposed thumb in Earth’s history. The researchers published their discovery today in the journal Current Biology.
A true opposed pollex is mostly present in mammals (e.g. primates) and some tree frogs, but extremely rare among extant reptiles except for chameleons. This discovery adds to the list that darwinopteran pterosaurs such as K. antipollicatus also evolved an opposed thumb.
The research team scanned the fossil of K. antipollicatus using micro-computed tomography (micro-CT), a technique making use of X-ray to image an object. By studying its forelimb morphology and musculature, they suggest that K. antipollicatus could have used its hand for grasping, which is likely an adaptation for arboreal life.
In order to test the arboreal interpretation, the team analysed K. antipollicatus and other pterosaurs using a set of anatomical characters related to arboreal adaptation. The results support K. antipollicatus as an arboreal species, but not the other pterosaurs from the same ecosystem. This suggests niche-partitioning among these pterosaurs and provides the first quantitative evidence that at least some darwinopteran pterosaurs were arboreal.
Fion Waisum Ma, co-author of the study and PhD researcher at the University of Birmingham, said: “The fingers of ‘Monkeydactyl’ are tiny and partly embedded in the slab. Thanks to micro-CT scanning, we could see through the rocks, create digital models and tell how the opposed thumb articulates with the other finger bones.
“This is an interesting discovery. It provides the earliest evidence of a true opposed thumb, and it is from a pterosaur — which wasn’t known for having an opposed thumb.”
Xuanyu Zhou from China University of Geosciences who led the study commented: “Tiaojishan palaeoforest is home to many organisms, including three genera of darwinopteran pterosaurs. Our results show that K. antipollicatus has occupied a different niche from Darwinopterus and Wukongopterus, which has likely minimized competition among these pterosaurs.”
Rodrigo V. Pêgas from Federal University of ABC, in Sao Bernardo, Brazil, said: “Darwinopterans are a group of pterosaurs from the Jurassic of China and Europe, named after Darwin due to their unique transitional anatomy that has revealed how evolution affected the anatomy of pterosaurs throughout time.
“On top of that, a particular darwinopteran fossil has been preserved with two associated eggs, revealing clues to pterosaur reproduction. They’ve always been considered precious fossils for these reasons and it is impressive that new darwinopteran species continue to surprise us!”
Reference: “A new darwinopteran pterosaur reveals arborealism and an opposed thumb” by Xuanyu Zhou, Rodrigo V. Pêgas, Waisum Ma, Gang Han, Xingsheng Jin, Maria E.C. Leal, Niels Bonde, Yoshitsugu Kobayashi, Stephan Lautenschlager, Xuefang Wei, Caizhi Shen and Shu’an Ji, 12 April 2021, Current Biology.
DOI: 10.1016/j.cub.2021.03.030
The team was made up of researchers from: China University of Geosciences; Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences; Beipiao Pterosaur Museum of China; Federal University of ABC; University of Birmingham; Hainan Vocational University of Science and Technology; Hainan Tropical Ocean University; Zhejiang Museum of Natural History; Aarhus University; Copenhagen University; Fur Museum (Museum Salling); Hokkaido University; China Geological Survey; Dalian Natural History Museum.

jeremy

Chicken
Thank You! God does exist outside the insanity of Evangelism!!!!
God, the creator of the whole of existence, of every thought and idea is not contradicted by or at odds with science. Jesus spoke against religion. Jesus spoke of faith. Don't let such fanaticism place god in a box; a microcosm; and negate history, the infinity of space and universes, and the fabulous complexity that is existence and physics, for the fairy tales of a bunch of miserable Hebrews who suffered the severity of life 2500 years ago instilling strict fear of God's wrath due to their most serious existence! There is no party or ideology of God. There is only God, and the teachings of Christ! Unfortunately, Satan distorts God's message by making a lot of his followers bigots!

MagyarMan

Chicken
Devil's Advocate here...

As a Christian, I can tell you that science, and the scientific method is nothing to fear, or discount. Christians, and the Christian worldview, invented the scientific method.

In John 1:1, God is described as "Logos" we get our word "Logic" from that Greek word. Christians then said: "God is logical. God must make sense, and the world God created must make sense." The demonic (and clown world) doesn't make sense. Because God makes sense, and the world God created makes sense, we can test it, and understand it.

I fear that in Christianity today there is movement similar to what happened in islam with "Occasionalism". They did away with cause and effect, at least in islam their "philosophical and theological system" allows for such nonsense when the god they worship is "pure will." When your answer to every scientific question is: "allah wills it!" Then progress grinds to halt.

There is the fact the Scientific Method was invented and firmly established in the 19th century. The Holy Bible was written long before then, c. 1400 BC for Genesis to c. 100 AD with John's Gospel . It was not written as a scientific textbook, and to treat it as such is a misuse of Sacred Scripture. I wouldn't want a Newton's Laws recited in place of the Gospel at Mass, and I wouldn't want Sacred Scriptures read in a scientific classroom or lab.

In Christianity, the sort of thinking that happened in islam doesn't work. You're asking me to believe in a God who lies, "It looks like it's old, and everything you can come up with to test it shows it is very old... But really it's only one day old."

Lying is a sin, and God cannot sin. If God can deceive us about that, then what else can God deceive us about? If you really believe that God CAN LIE, and that God is lying about that, then what else can God lie about? Maybe God is lying about this: "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

I think that young-earth creationism is from The Devil himself, meant to horribly distort people's view of The Almighty's Wonderful and Awe-Inspiring Creation. (I also think taking things too far in the other direction and removing The Almighty entirely is equally wrong.)
But He didn't lie, He told us in the scriptures exactly how it happened. You are assuming human measurements are more reliable than God given scripture.

How would the scientific method account for miracles like parting the Red Sea, or Jesus raising the dead or healing people? There really is no other explanation than God wills it.

Our tools of measurement are not infallible is what I'm saying, just because some scientists measured the Earth to be a billion years old, doesn't mean God is lying when he tells us the Earth is young.

This is a tricky subject. I cannot fathom what 'science' has become nowadays. Everything is being edited to serve women, faggots, and anyone who is a staunch reviler of Christ. I suppose if none of us carried within us the knowledge of good and evil, we wouldn't care about such things as the age of the earth. Such curiosities of man may never be fulfilled as if drinking water that never quenches. God have mercy on the inquisitiveness of us unruly humans.

Science is an invention of man, not a sacred dogma handed down by God. It's a tool, like a gun. Its utility depends on those who wield it.

Mostly I see it today in the hands of Christ-haters and death-cultists.

"It looks like it's old, and everything you can come up with to test it shows it is very old... But really it's only one day old."

I understand what you're saying here, but I feel like this is a leap. Is a photograph a lie because it depicts the past in the present?

Christ turned water into wine, was that also a lie because it looked and tasted like wine, was called "the best wine", but was never fermented or even extracted from grapes? Clearly not. Do you not believe that God could miraculously make something that is in every way as it should be instantaneously?

Or perhaps put in a more naturalistic way... Do you believe that He couldn't compress 14.5 billion years of natural process into a single moment?

The mountain may have existed for a day to our perception, but it is how ever many years old. In the same way it takes light eight minutes to travel from the sun, but from the photon's perspective the trip is instantaneous.

At the end of the end of the day, God made the mountain and the mountain is good.