How to download videos from mainstream platforms [Youtube, Bitchute]

TheFinalEpic

Pelican
Gold Member
Here's a couple aliases I use in my zsh config (you can do this in your bash config as well) to avoid typing out a bunch of syntax each time:

Code:
alias ytvid='youtube-dl -f best'
alias ytmp3='youtube-dl --extract-audio --audio-format mp3'
And then just copy paste the url in afterward. So the new syntax is simply:
Code:
ytmp3 <URL>
for audio only downloads

and
Code:
ytvid <URL>
for video downloads

Enigma

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I personally use y2mate.com

Just paste the video url, choose the format (video, mp3, etc.) and quality (1080, 720, etc.) and hit download. I mostly use it to rip audio from videos, so I can listen to it on the go, but I've used it for videos as well.

rapaz12

Woodpecker
If you're using Android newpipe is great for downloading from YouTube/SoundCloud. It's also sweet because you can watch videos without all the ads and other invasiveness of the official YouTube app.

You'll have to get F-Droid to install it however as it's not on the play store. Also, you might have to manually add newpipe's repository to fdroid since they can be slow to update the latest versions; you'll know you might need an update when you start getting alotta guru meditation errors.

DeWoken

Sparrow
Is anyone else struggling to download Bitchute videos on Linux at the moment? My go-to app is youtube-dl. I upgraded it to a July2020 version - but I had to go through the hassle of running a "don't flag sketchy sources" using wget. Even so, Bitchute still gives me the 'No video formats found' bug.

DeWoken

Sparrow
Is anyone else struggling to download Bitchute videos on Linux at the moment? My go-to app is youtube-dl. I upgraded it to a July2020 version - but I had to go through the hassle of running a "don't flag sketchy sources" using wget. Even so, Bitchute still gives me the 'No video formats found' bug.
Okay I fixed it just by putting --no-check-certificate at the end of the line :boring:
link
I can once again catch Roosh's podcasts! :D

PixelFree

Kingfisher
I personally use y2mate.com

Just paste the video url, choose the format (video, mp3, etc.) and quality (1080, 720, etc.) and hit download. I mostly use it to rip audio from videos, so I can listen to it on the go, but I've used it for videos as well.
Amazing resource! Easy as.

Sandstorm

Kingfisher
I currently use this:

Its free - will download 98% of YT and all Bitchute so far.

It can do the 3 hour long docos you get on YT - you can choose what quality to dl at too.

What it struggles with is dling any video that was a "livestream" first. It can't do those.

Batman_

Kingfisher
I currently use this:

Its free - will download 98% of YT and all Bitchute so far.

It can do the 3 hour long docos you get on YT - you can choose what quality to dl at too.

What it struggles with is dling any video that was a "livestream" first. It can't do those.
4k downloader is great.