How to Make Money While Traveling/Expatiating

MongolianAbroad

Ostrich
Gold Member
chrisblackbeard said:
Makes me think, I'm 22, I don't know how old you are, but I know men who live their WHOLE LIVES simply existing and planning for their next move. The 4 months I spend in Asia, I felt alive for the first time. It's hard to explain for someone who is trapped in the western mindset, but I think you really did put it as well as possible. Every day was a blessing. Even the bad ones. The uncomfortable ones

I came back almost 2 years ago now, and my life has been forever changed. I think about how meaningful and exciting my life use to be, if not hourly, daily.
Ditto.

chrisblackbeard said:
Thank you for your accurate motivating words, and I will definitely keep in touch with you over our journies!

Be well
Likewise, man.
 

Stickman

Sparrow
Gold Member
Do you have a camera? if you don't I'd use part of that 20k and invest in one and start doing video content for Youtube, IG and possibly your own blog. You'll go as far as your imagination takes you.
 

devilsaki

Newbie
I live in the Philippines and I do affiliate marketing. I don't make enough to live comfortably in a tier 1 country. But in the Philippines a couple thousand bucks can go a long way.
 
Mentavious said:
You could sell nudes or panties like every other female ‘nomad’, freelancer, long term traveler, etc.
Sell nudes or panties of the girls you bang (consented of course).

Now you have a lifestyle business.
 

aeroektar

Pelican
Knowing what I know now at 32, if I had 20k ten years ago, I would absofuckinglutely go for it and buy the one way ticket. You're young, you have tons of time to recuperate if your business attempts fail. You have enough saved up to keep a good sized emergency fund if you have to move back to the states and find your footing again, and if that happens, you're no worse off then you are now and you've gained valuable experiences.

If you keep analyzing, the "right time" will never come. I know, because I've been analyzing my situation, my bank account for the last 3 years waiting for some magical number or idea where I feel comfortable quitting my day job and buying a one way ticket instead of a round trip. I think I've realized at this point its never going to feel comfortable unplugging from the system.

I live in New England too and can't wait to leave, its definitely not a place I want to put down permanent roots, too expensive, too much liberal progressive bullshit, people are fleeing this part of the country for a reason. The way I see it, if I don't find a way to sustain myself abroad and have to come back after a few months or years, I can explore other parts of the US that I've had on my mind.
 

MongolianAbroad

Ostrich
Gold Member
aeroektar said:
Knowing what I know now at 32, if I had 20k ten years ago, I would absofuckinglutely go for it and buy the one way ticket. You're young, you have tons of time to recuperate if your business attempts fail. You have enough saved up to keep a good sized emergency fund if you have to move back to the states and find your footing again, and if that happens, you're no worse off then you are now and you've gained valuable experiences.

If you keep analyzing, the "right time" will never come. I know, because I've been analyzing my situation, my bank account for the last 3 years waiting for some magical number or idea where I feel comfortable quitting my day job and buying a one way ticket instead of a round trip. I think I've realized at this point its never going to feel comfortable unplugging from the system.

I live in New England too and can't wait to leave, its definitely not a place I want to put down permanent roots, too expensive, too much liberal progressive bullshit, people are fleeing this part of the country for a reason. The way I see it, if I don't find a way to sustain myself abroad and have to come back after a few months or years, I can explore other parts of the US that I've had on my mind.
I've seen guys here talk about a million, two million, three, four million as their target.

Those guys are dreamers, they're never going to make the move. Even if they get to the 1, 2, 3, or 4 million, they'll want 2, 3, 4, 5 million then in order to feel "safe," but once they get there, they'll want more. They're never going anywhere and they'll be living vicariously through those of us with the balls to take on the level of risk this entails. Meanwhile, every year they delay is one less year of priceless youth which they wasted sitting in a cubicle half the day, then watching netflix the other half.

Anyhow, different strokes for different folks, man.
 

CleanSlate

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Spaniard88 said:
Meanwhile, every year they delay is one less year of priceless youth which they wasted sitting in a cubicle half the day, then watching netflix the other half.
The other problem with this is that they usually come home too tired to work on their side business, and they never get it off the ground, further fueling their procrastination.

Besides having sufficient savings (at least 2 years worth of living expenses in the TARGET country or region, not the current location), it helps to set a firm deadline to get out. Say, it could be 3 months from now. Or 6 months. Whatever works.

The key is this.

Once the deadline is set, a mental transformation takes place. Instead of being in dream mode, you are now in action mode. You are now taking the steps to meet your own deadline, including building your business with whatever income goals you've set for yourself. You'll put more energy into your business than vegging out on the couch binge watching Netflix.

I'll say this, though. Because you'll be burning both ends of the candle for some time, I don't recommend setting that deadline too far into the future, like a year or more. If it's too far out, then it's easy to get discouraged and lose motivation, or worse, suffer burnout from working too much on both job and business.

I almost got burned out myself and that lead to a string of several months of non-productivity (and bleeding cash) once I did bail. I would not underestimate the seriousness of burnout -- it takes several months to recover and costs massive amounts of money in the meantime.
 

BlueMark

Woodpecker
Gold Member
^ I'll second what CleanSlate wrote about burnout. I am in a similar situation, just made the move abroad but got burned out by the process of finishing up my previous work followed by dealing with the logistics of moving. I'm surrounded by by pussy but have no desire right now. I'll probably take some time off from work next year to recover, if I don't get back on track in the next month or so.

Three to six months sounds like the ideal amount of time based on my experience.
 

TopPanda

Robin
I've been making money online for 20 years now. But it's run its course really. I make a fraction of what I once did. To get something going now requires collosal effort. You'd be better doing something else.

I now make 3x more money from my investments than I do online. I'm invested in high yield stocks/bonds and rental property. I used to invest in P2P but the glory days are over on that as well. Investments are true passive income. Making websites or YT videos is NOT.

The most lucrative thing I do is teach at a Chinese university. I'm able to save a similar amount to what I did when I was working in London. But I only effectively work for 7 months of the year.

For the other 5 months I work on hopeless make money online schemes. Although I do seem to be having promising results starting a forum in the NSFW niche...
 

the-dream

Kingfisher
If you are good at writing, making videos and growing social media accounts then there are so many ways to make to make money. Pick a niche that you're somewhat knowledgeable about that people who are interested in it would be paying $100+ for things in that niche relatively often and become and authority in that niche, reviewing things, giving advice, keeping people updated with new products with a blog and YouTube channel.
 
Thank you all for the helpful responses.


CleanSlate said:
or worse, suffer burnout from working too much on both job and business.

I almost got burned out myself and that lead to a string of several months of non-productivity (and bleeding cash) once I did bail. I would not underestimate the seriousness of burnout -- it takes several months to recover and costs massive amounts of money in the meantime.
I currently am burnt out. I've tried for 2 years straight, of nonstop work and ventures to achieve the goal of location independence. Life is nothing more than going through the motions for me. Every day I imagine getting back to traveling and living once again.

The way you said that really changed my perspective on it all. I just need to go for it. At nothing else, I get away for a few months, fix my mental health, and come back to the states to earn. best case, I become an internet shitlord and upgrade from Asia to Eastern Europe, South America etc.

I don't even have the mental energy to work here anymore. No point going on like this.

Buying the ticket over the next 7 days (price watching). Aiming to leave in the next 1-3 months.
 
Stickman said:
Do you have a camera? if you don't I'd use part of that 20k and invest in one and start doing video content for Youtube, IG and possibly your own blog. You'll go as far as your imagination takes you.
the-dream said:
If you are good at writing, making videos and growing social media accounts then there are so many ways to make to make money. Pick a niche that you're somewhat knowledgeable about that person who are interested in it would be paying $100+ for things in that niche relatively often and become and authority in that niche, reviewing things, giving advice, keeping people updated with new products with a blog and YouTube channel.
I have thought about doing this exact thing. I actually enjoy making videos, and that's kind of a dream I've always had.

I already invested in a Sony FDR X 3000 4k for those exact purposes.

I think I will experiment more with it once I get into 'Action mode" or actually get over there and clear my mind.

Thanks for the helpful responses!
 

Stickman

Sparrow
Gold Member
TopPanda said:
I've been making money online for 20 years now. But it's run its course really. I make a fraction of what I once did. To get something going now requires collosal effort. You'd be better doing something else.

I now make 3x more money from my investments than I do online. I'm invested in high yield stocks/bonds and rental property. I used to invest in P2P but the glory days are over on that as well. Investments are true passive income. Making websites or YT videos is NOT.

The most lucrative thing I do is teach at a Chinese university. I'm able to save a similar amount to what I did when I was working in London. But I only effectively work for 7 months of the year.

For the other 5 months I work on hopeless make money online schemes. Although I do seem to be having promising results starting a forum in the NSFW niche...
I was making money online since 1999. Every other week sure enough someone on the IM forums someone would say Internet marketing is over or how the good ole day is gone. Truth is, there has never been an easier time to make money online.

Back then, you'd have to know html or use something like dreamweaver. Now people are making millions filming themselves eating. There is some kids in the states that makes 14 mil a year reviewing toys.

You can travel across the world easily and hire talent on the cheap to scale your business. Back then outsourcing was a foreign concept.

It's hard now if you don't adapt yourself and grow with the times. If you keep doing what you did 10-20 years ago, you obviously missed the boat. There are more tools now than ever before. Everything is more easily accessible. Websites are easier to build. There are more competition but there are also way more tools to scale. You have to learn what those tools are and grow with it
 
Stickman said:
TopPanda said:
I've been making money online for 20 years now. But it's run its course really. I make a fraction of what I once did. To get something going now requires collosal effort. You'd be better doing something else.

I now make 3x more money from my investments than I do online. I'm invested in high yield stocks/bonds and rental property. I used to invest in P2P but the glory days are over on that as well. Investments are true passive income. Making websites or YT videos is NOT.

The most lucrative thing I do is teach at a Chinese university. I'm able to save a similar amount to what I did when I was working in London. But I only effectively work for 7 months of the year.

For the other 5 months I work on hopeless make money online schemes. Although I do seem to be having promising results starting a forum in the NSFW niche...
I was making money online since 1999. Every other week sure enough someone on the IM forums someone would say Internet marketing is over or how the good ole day is gone. Truth is, there has never been an easier time to make money online.

Back then, you'd have to know html or use something like dreamweaver. Now people are making millions filming themselves eating. There is some kids in the states that makes 14 mil a year reviewing toys.

You can travel across the world easily and hire talent on the cheap to scale your business. Back then outsourcing was a foreign concept.

It's hard now if you don't adapt yourself and grow with the times. If you keep doing what you did 10-20 years ago, you obviously missed the boat. There are more tools now than ever before. Everything is more easily accessible. Websites are easier to build. There are more competition but there are also way more tools to scale. You have to learn what those tools are and grow with it
You bring up a lot of good points.

I think it's important to mention that while the opportunity is greater, so is the competition. Niches get saturated fast, And automation is growing rapidly. Outsourcing is good for the business owner but bad for the freelancer. You have to be willing to work at competitive India prices.

I think that's really what most people are talking about when they say its harder to make money online these days.
 
UPDATE:



I did it!​

I bought that one-way ticket to the Philippines, leaving this January!

I decided I'm going to break free from the trap of overplanning and dreaming about something vs. just going for it.

Roosh recently wrote a great article Comfort Will Not Give You Meaning In Life. After reading this, as well as much of your advice, I realized I'm being controlled by the pursuit of meaningless comfort. I'm obsessing about earning great money online, so I can seamlessly go from living and earning here, to living and earning in paradise. No more.

I don't care if I struggle financially for months, or years pursuing it. My basic needs will be getting met, and I will enjoy the process. If I fail and have to come back, What did I really lose?

Anyways, Thanks everyone for the advice. I hope this helps inspire some of the many young men who feel they are in the same boat.
 
Top