Hunting & Fishing Thread

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
This thread is for guys to share hunting and fishing stories, spots, videos, and articles and maybe some of their results. Gear, guns, and great spots can be shared here, along with videos and articles.

It looks like I will be getting a deer tag for the first year up here in Canada. Deer season in Canada is October with crossbows and November with a shotgun. I've never actually hunted but I have a couple local buddies who do. We've got a piece of property we can hunt on, and my buddy is going to set up stands and cams to see how the deer pass through. If we bag one he knows how to gut it and we have a place (old barn) we can hang it up, then he has a guy who knows how to make the cuts.

My other buddy is a fisherman, I was talking to him and he was saying how on a good day he can pull about $120 worth of fish, and the quality is just a whole level up from what you get in the grocery store. I'm hoping to get out with him a few times this year.

Renzy

Pelican
Great idea for a thread! Kinda ironic it's a forum full of guys and not many hunting/fishing threads have come up...

Anyway, you're really fortunate to have some private land to hunt on! I'm jealous lol. Not only will you have less pressure from other hunters to contend with but since you can set your stands up ahead of time it'll be a lot easier to get in there real quiet. No fiddling with a climber or sticks in the dark. Plus you won't have to worry about other hunters getting into your spots before you.

I'm on public in Maryland and on the WMAs here I've hunted you can't leave stands overnight. Opening day here for firearms season is a sea of orange so I go out a lot more during bow season. Going into the woods before the sun comes up and it's still dark feels really exciting every time I do it. The woods, when it's still basically nighttime, feel sort of intimidating in a very cool, primitive way and I always get pumped up when I am heading out in the mornings. I think you'll have a blast and it's great you already got a group of friends to head out with.

You got any hunting shows you been watching yet? I like The Hunting Public a lot. Very down to earth group of guys who make a great show hunting public land around the US:

Catman Outdoors is another good one.

deerhunter

Sparrow
Gold Member
Excellent video Laner. I love calling big bulls like that in the rut. The way his head was swinging is intense to see up close in person. I follow those guys on instagram and they have great hunts and pictures. Hunt and fish here, bought a new to me boat yesterday and ready to get out on the ocean.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
I went salmon fishing off the south coast of Vancouver Island yesterday, my friend and I chartered a boat for the morning and caught about twenty salmon, mostly springs which aren’t in season and a bunch of coho, both wild and hatchery, we kept four of the latter which is the limit. They weren’t very big, about 5-7 lbs each, the springs were bigger at about 10-12 lbs. The captain set some crab traps and we hauled in 7 big keepers, we BBQ’d one salmon last night and the crab, I’m taking a couple of salmon back home with me. 2F60339F-8708-41F9-A62D-50F942BC2E47.jpeg6ACC0483-3900-44C3-9372-AED53E6E7821.jpegE9BC4C4C-74C9-4309-B1D3-97F6984C6A48.jpegF696C611-71E6-4DB3-81D5-642E1F7E8754.jpeg

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
OK So i discovered that South Dakota is the new Switzerland - they removed the perpetuities limits on their Trusts and have implemented Trust Secrecy second to none to the point the Guardian and FT complaining - so planning a trip for my new project and looked up 10 best trout fishing rivers in SoTa and the 10 best New Hampshire Trout Rivers preferably with natives vs Stocked... I am an intermediate Fly Tyer have to use a pro tied fly and then watch YT on how to copy it... Takes me at least a hour so time value of money cheaper to buy off Amazon... trick is to dap a brush tip of superglue on the head/hook eyelet to reduce shredding - like to float on the rivers with a guide to catch big natives of course brown trout can tolerate warmer water as I read brown trout were imports from Germany - I think rainbows were also imports to NH from out west.

Articles mention a number of dry floating and wet sinking flies I never heard of so even old sea dogs can learn new tricks.

I like this guiderecommended.com site ...

i think rainbows were

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
Damn Ruger added some magnum calibers to it's Precision Rifles line check out the scoped bipod options scroll down for the video... Hunting with a spotter can achieve accuracy to approx 2500 yards at reasonable prices. Rather have one of these than an AR. Just saying - 5 round clips good for hunting or long-range neighborhood defense against anarchists.

Thanks for starting this thread, NoMoreTO!

What I'm posting below was originally slated for a thread I wanted to start to seek some advice. But since this already exists, I'll drop my inquiry here:

A decent knife (and, ?), coupled with some 'MacGyver', could easily create more bow-and-arrow units; much less worry about critical reserves running low. Also, a gunshot discharge/echo reverberating through a neighborhood, (or woods) might not be desirable/feasible in some circumstances.

For prolonged survival, some 'distance' engagements will become necessary, with hand-to-hand/hand-to-paw encounters not being practical.

The first questions I would need to address (I think?) are:
1) Would any of you with experience recommend 'standard' bow and arrow, or crossbow; and why.
2) What common, easy to find, preferably non-synthetic materials would be most practical for me to build this entire contraption myself?
3) Safety tips, and diagrams, for both construction and use?
4) Recommendation of the best 'how-to' book for the above.

I'm not looking for a book that focuses on commercial sale options, but rather a raw, "DIY" approach to all this. I would learn/practice on my own creation, right from the start.

Full disclosure, so any who would comment know what they're dealing with:
I have complete ignorance with the handling of this type of weapon/tool - never even held one before, let alone used or fabricated one. This request also has nothing to do with some 'Robin Hood' fantasyland BS; I'm looking for practical input, and will be grateful for such help provided.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
Last weekend one of my RVF Oil Sands buddies came to visit me in Vancouver and we went out to Chilliwack (1.5 hours away) and caught some monster fish bros, 200 FUCKING POUNDERS!!! The crazy part was these were small ones, our captain told us that he regularly gets 400-600 and they get up to 1000 lbs!

These are sturgeon fish that are common to the river waters from northern California up to BC, Canada and they date back to the pre-historic era, they're literally dinosaurs and they put up an awesome fight! The "little guys" we caught, four in total all weighed between 150-200 lbs and were about 6.5-7.5 feet long, they each took about 30-45 minutes to land and my buddy and I had to pass the rod multiple times because our arms got tired from the fight. I can't imagine catching a 500 pounder, the 200 lbs sturgeon tired us out enough. We were on the water from 8am til 4:30pm and our guide was an awesome dude, a local guy who's been fishing these water for 40+ years, he retired from a successful business (a literal millionaire) and just guides for fun, his boat cost about $100,000 USD and his brand new truck about 50K, all gear was top of the line. We found him through this outfit: https://www.cascadefishingadventures.com/sturgeon/

The only downside is that it's all catch and release, I prefer to eat the fish I catch but there's nothing like reeling in a 200 pounder boys, it was amazing!!! The whole trip cost about $850 Cdn or $650 USD, if anyone wants to come to Vancouver and go fishing with me, let me know!

WORLD CLASS BIG GAME FISHING!

World record sturgeon, caught by British tourists

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
I would seriously consider that trip. I'd like to catch a dinosaur.

My buddy is going to stock a little pond of mine with bass, trout if the spring is strong enough. Anybody on here ever stock a pond?

Renzy

Pelican
Thought I'd give this thread a bump seeing as how tomorrow is opening day for bow season here in Maryland. Assuming I don't get rained out, I'm planning on being out there bright and early. Looking forward to being in the woods, watching the sunrise and hopefully shooting some deer. This'll be my first full season hunting out of a saddle. Hope the rest of you guys on this thread have a great (and safe!) season.

Bolly

Pelican
Just a couple more weeks til opening day of duck season. Got my duck stamp not long ago. I'm pumped. Got all my decoys just patiently waiting. If there's one silver lining to the Chinese virus is i get to get in on hunting this year instead of jetting off to south america for the winter. Probably gonna be pretty rusty. Been dove hunting this year already and hot damn been having trouble. Fast little shits. Ducks are easier though. Deer and elk are on the horizon too. Will post tall tales of how it goes this winter.

A friend of mine is talking about going dove hunting soon. Have not done that since I was a teenager--things have changed since then. Back then it was all lead shot, and the state I am in now, lead shot is banned for migratory game birds. Does anyone know the pros and cons of the lead shot substitutes like steel or bismuth? The state I am in, everything is legal except lead.

I will be using a 12 gauge with either a improved cylinder or modified choke. My son will be using a 20 gauge that we borrowed -- not sure what the gauge is (it is an Italian over-under).

Not looking to limit out every day, just spend some time outside and come back with enough for dinner that night.

semilla

Sparrow
A friend of mine is talking about going dove hunting soon. Have not done that since I was a teenager--things have changed since then. Back then it was all lead shot, and the state I am in now, lead shot is banned for migratory game birds. Does anyone know the pros and cons of the lead shot substitutes like steel or bismuth? The state I am in, everything is legal except lead.

I will be using a 12 gauge with either a improved cylinder or modified choke. My son will be using a 20 gauge that we borrowed -- not sure what the gauge is (it is an Italian over-under).

Not looking to limit out every day, just spend some time outside and come back with enough for dinner that night.
Take little, careful bites of anything you eat that has been killer with steal shots.

Bolly

Pelican
Does anyone know the pros and cons of the lead shot substitutes like steel or bismuth? The state I am in, everything is legal except lead.

Lead is supposed to shoot faster and hit harder than steel. so it's been said. But 1550 is as fast as a guy wants to be shooting though without a special choke otherwise your bore will start swelling after enough time. From a conservation point of view i suppose, as every hunter should see himself, i think banning lead and using steel shot is a good thing and best for waterfowl in particular lest you end polluting the waterways with lead. Bismuth I know nothing about.

DukeWeller

Chicken
Waterfowl season opens in the Midwest this weekend, planning on hunting my spot both days.

Japanese millet we planted this summer didn't take well, flooding and wild weeds combined to make it a tough go. Still should get some shots in but the birds aren't using our impoundments as a hotel.

Bolly is spot on about lead vs. steel. Got out for doves once in September, got a handful. They dip once temps hit 50, which happened that night. Great day out with the dog though. Honestly my favorite part of bird hunting.