I’m building a time machine and need your help

Moolooman

Sparrow
Well, kinda, a time capsule actually.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

The idea is to have a bunch of select people make predictions of what the future will look like in 50 years. I’m not interested in science type folks who predict we would have all drowned by then, just non biased realistic predictions. Such as demographics, economy, technology, ideology, problems, weather. Each person might write what a normal day looks like in 50 years.

I’ve heavily researched this over the last 4 years and have some ideas for the construction. I obviously don’t want to spend stupid amounts of money on the off the shelf units as they’re garbage plus then you’re on public record. So I’ve decided to do this. I’m purchasing a stainless steel beer keg. I’ll modify this for archival purposes (I’d like it to be able to last 100 years in theory). The content will be placed inside along with moisture absorbing sachets and TIG welded shut and sealed with Argon. I’m pretty confident in this.

The problems I need your help with:

1: Where to bury it so it’s never accidentally disturbed.

2: Opsec, how to ‘fly under the radar and get this done.

3. How to instruct the right person to dig it up in 50 years (ie, where and when, keeping in mind we may not be using GPS or email then).

4: How to present the content? SD cards probably won’t exist by then, or USB etc, so I’m thinking printing? But weight. How could you make some sort of storage device accessible 50 years into the future?

Boys, I’d really appreciate your input, and if you’d like to contribute your future predictions, that would be amazing. But I’d really be stoked if you could help with some ideas around the logistics.

Before you say it, yes I am crazy.

Last edited:

EndlessGravity

Kingfisher
You need a flux capacitor for one thing.

I came for the Back to the Future references. Was not disappointed.

1: Where to bury it so it’s never accidentally disturbed.

2: Opsec, how to ‘fly under the radar and get this done.

3. How to instruct the right person to dig it up in 50 years (ie, where and when, keeping in mind we may not be using GPS or email then).

4: How to present the content? SD cards probably won’t exist by then, or USB etc, so I’m thinking printing? But weight. How could you make some sort of storage device accessible 50 years into the future?

1. There have been several treasure hunts over the decades you might want to check out. The Secret: A Treasure Hunt is the one that comes to my mind first. Pretty sure they still haven't found all the items even though they're in fairly major areas.

2. Why would you need to fly under the radar? Is there something nefarious I don't know about time capsules?

3. We'll probably be using GPS and email in 50 years. Still I'd encode it on a special challenge coin, have 50 or 100 made and make it a pass-me-down thing.

That actually sounds bad ass when I think about it.

4. Print it. Any specific tech will probably end up legacy in 50 years. What exactly do you want to put in this?

Moolooman

Sparrow
I came for the Back to the Future references. Was not disappointed.

1. There have been several treasure hunts over the decades you might want to check out. The Secret: A Treasure Hunt is the one that comes to my mind first. Pretty sure they still haven't found all the items even though they're in fairly major areas.

2. Why would you need to fly under the radar? Is there something nefarious I don't know about time capsules?

3. We'll probably be using GPS and email in 50 years. Still I'd encode it on a special challenge coin, have 50 or 100 made and make it a pass-me-down thing.

That actually sounds bad ass when I think about it.

4. Print it. Any specific tech will probably end up legacy in 50 years. What exactly do you want to put in this?

Challenge coins are an awesome idea. Nice.

I’m still not convinced on GPS still working though. They’re after all a semi mil thing and could easily be shut down if the was some sort of war etc or the system is superseded by something else less space junky

I’d want to bury it in a public place that I’d be fairly confident will still be an open public place in years to come, not built on or developed. The reason for the Opsec is I’ll also bury some semi valuable relics from now, a few bottles of scotch etc. (These could have some reasonable valueI wouldn’t want some treasure hunter digging it up before time to raid it).

Will people still be using email as we know it? If I program something to send someone an email in 50 years to tell the location, will they even be able to read it?