I have a spider in my toilet

Tex Cruise

Pelican
How often do you have those spiders crawling on your body or face? And wouldn't a jolt in response to crawling legs cause them to bite? Like I imagine most people would slap their faces or bodies if they woke up feeling something on them
Rarely. The only time I have, and the only time I have heard of anyone being bitten by Huntsmen is when handling firewood and they are under the bark or in cracks.
The instinctive reflex is to brush or flick rather than slap. It happened to me just now which reminded me of this thread. It was a Golden Orb spider, similar to the one in front of the tattooed arm above but nowhere near that size. I was sitting in the sun reading and felt something large crawl onto my elbow. I just brushed it off and it curled into a ball on the ground. They are not harmful.

Another funny thing that happened since I last posted here, I walked into my kitchen one night and saw a large black spider that I couldn't identify in the middle of the floor. I didn't like the look of it so I stepped on it with my boot, and it EXPLODED into thousands, literally thousands of tiny spiders, swarming in every direction over the whole floor. It must have been a female carrying a sackful of young. There was a can of insect spray within arm's reach so I quickly sprayed as many as I could before they could disappear into and under the cupboards.

C-Note

Ostrich
Gold Member
Another funny thing that happened since I last posted here, I walked into my kitchen one night and saw a large black spider that I couldn't identify in the middle of the floor. I didn't like the look of it so I stepped on it with my boot, and it EXPLODED into thousands, literally thousands of tiny spiders, swarming in every direction over the whole floor. It must have been a female carrying a sackful of young. There was a can of insect spray within arm's reach so I quickly sprayed as many as I could before they could disappear into and under the cupboards.

By the way, I'm sure you have a nice place, but I hope I don't ever live in a house in which I have to keep a can of insect spray within arm's reach.

Tex Cruise

Pelican
^ Yeah, just like that but way more spiders and way faster. They covered the whole kitchen floor in 2-3 seconds (including where I was standing) The bug spray on hand was just a coincidence, It's the only can in the house and is on a high shelf right next to where it happened.

Thomas More

Hummingbird
I have the heeby jeebies from that baby spider story! It's one thing to squish individual spiders. It's quite another to have 1000s of them spreading out to infest the whole house. Yikes!

Tex Cruise

Pelican
I'm pretty sure the same spider from yesterday (the one on my elbow, not the one that exploded) is in the process of building a 3 foot round web on my porch, right in front of my door where I'm bound to walk into it at the front step. We just had a little chat. "C'mon man. There? Seriously? Can't you build it somewhere else?" Bet he doesn't listen, and even if I sweep it down tomorrow it'll be back tomorrow night.

MKE-Ed

Robin
One of the few things that I don’t like about spring and summer is the fact that spiders will oftentimes build their webs in the worst of places. I’ll be walking on a city sidewalk late in the evening or at night when all of a sudden I end up walking into one of their webs. I immediately notice that sticky web in my head and I have to suddenly stop and brush it off, hoping that the spider in question isn’t on me.

I’m generally not afraid of spiders, but I do get a bit concerned about the possibility of getting stung and having a serious reaction to their venom. I live in a large Midwest city and during their summer months their webs are everywhere.

Grow Bag

Woodpecker
In Australia, if it slithers, swims or scuttles, chances are it's poisonous to one degree or another:D In England we've got one poisonous snake and few nasty things that have hitched in on freight. The biggest spider we have is the giant house spider (whoever named has likely never traveled far). I usually don't evict house spiders, but since I've moved out to the countryside their numbers have increased and they're not staying in their lane. I had them running over my bed and even had one land on my head from somewhere. So now I catch them and throw them out the window.