"I Have Coronavirus Symptoms" thread

UlteriorMotive

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Are any of you guys experiencing a long term lack of taste or smell?

My experience did not have these symptoms, my brother however has recovered from his case and is still 2 weeks on without a sense of taste or smell.

redonion

Woodpecker
UlteriorMotive said:

My experience did not have these symptoms, my brother however has recovered from his case and is still 2 weeks on without a sense of taste or smell.
My girlfriend just started getting hers back now after about 10 days.

When she first loss her smell, I did a bunch of searching on reddit to see if anyone else experienced this symptom. Turns out a lot of them did, but everybody got their smell back eventually. Your brother seems to be on the longer end of having no smell, but it should come back.

redonion said:
UlteriorMotive said:

When she first loss her smell, I did a bunch of searching on reddit to see if anyone else experienced this symptom. Turns out a lot of them did, but everybody got their smell back eventually. Your brother seems to be on the longer end of having no smell, but it should come back.
What meds did she take? Antivirals? Antibiotica? Which ones?

UlteriorMotive said:

Did your brother take any meds like strong antibiotics or antivirals?

AnonymousBosch

Crow
Gold Member
redonion said:
Update - Day 10 since first symptoms, Day 7 since positive test

Me: Still no symptoms
Her: Basically fully recovered. She can smell again and isn't as fatigued. Probably at 90-95%

Overall, it has not been that big of a deal. She never got a fever and was never wrecked by this thing.

I have changed my position on Coronavirus from one of fear and paranoia to one of skepticism. For people within our demographic (< 40 years old, healthy), I don't think there is a need for us to be locked inside while we watch small businesses get decimated around us. I think quarantine restrictions should be relaxed.
Glad to hear, RedOnion.

redonion

Woodpecker
Simeon_Strangelight said:
redonion said:
UlteriorMotive said:

What meds did she take? Antivirals? Antibiotica? Which ones?

Nothing. I forced her to take 5000ug Vitamin D and 50mg Zinc every day, and she took 2000mg of Vitamin C every day. I wanted her to Megadose Vitamin C but she did not.

AnonymousBosch

Crow
Gold Member
redonion said:
Nothing. I forced her to take 5000ug Vitamin D and 50mg Zinc every day, and she took 2000mg of Vitamin C every day. I wanted her to Megadose Vitamin C but she did not.
The D and Zinc are highly-recommended but Zinc has been long cleaned out of chemists where I am, and is ridiculously-expensive online.

Based upon her body weight and severity of symptoms, 2000mg of C might have been enough to get the job done in combination with the others, particularly if she wasn't at serious risk from a comorbidity. The Shanghai recommendations I read only had me on 4700 mgs a day, and I'm a big guy: 100kgs / 220lbs, and would only have been 4x that at the upper limit if symptoms didn't improve.

I'm glad you're both through it.

redonion

Woodpecker
AnonymousBosch said:
redonion said:
The D and Zinc are highly-recommended but Zinc has been long cleaned out of chemists where I am, and is ridiculously-expensive online.

Based upon her body weight and severity of symptoms, 2000mg of C might have been enough to get the job done in combination with the others, particularly if she wasn't at serious risk from a comorbidity. The Shanghai recommendations I read only had me on 4700 mgs a day, and I'm a big guy: 100kgs / 220lbs, and would only have been 4x that at the upper limit if symptoms didn't improve.

I'm glad you're both through it.
Thanks!

FWIW, I am your size as well, and have been doing 5000ug Vitamin D, 50g Zinc, and ~10kmg Vitamin C every day. I've been completely fine.

I have been doing D and Zinc daily for years now. I just started doing C when Coronavirus just started ramping up. I really think that a solid dosage of these vitamins can do a lot to combat the virus.

Shoutout to Simeon for his excellent Vitamin C writeup as well. I've shared that with multiple friends and family.

AnonymousBosch

Crow
Gold Member
redonion said:
FWIW, I am your size as well, and have been doing 5000ug Vitamin D, 50g Zinc, and ~10kmg Vitamin C every day. I've been completely fine.

I have been doing D and Zinc daily for years now. I just started doing C when Coronavirus just started ramping up. I really think that a solid dosage of these vitamins can do a lot to combat the virus.
I've used C for bodybuilder for a long time for collagen repair of muscles aftera a workout, which is why heath stores sell it in Ascorbic Acid form, but never beyond the 1000mg per day average, but never investigated it more closely beyond that dosages. It does seem that the bodybuilding sites suggest higher higher doses for the athletic.

One thing I noticed was that I lost the excess weight during the Covid illness that I'd tried to pack on before the illness back in February, thinking food might be restricted. It looks like one of the side effects of higher vitamin C doses is an increased metabolism and faster burning of fat during exercise. I was limited with ability to exercise during the illness but after about Day 9 I was regularly walking 10,000+ steps up a steep hill each day. I both started eating like a horse and discovered that I liked working out in a mask to reduce the available oxygen whilst I was sick. Weird, hey?

If things were going back to normal anytime soon, I'd probably invest in a High Altitude Training Mask.

UlteriorMotive

Kingfisher
Gold Member
UlteriorMotive said:

Asked him and he said he didn't take anything not even cold/flu tablets.

He's in good health/shape so we are both finding it odd.

UlteriorMotive said:
UlteriorMotive said:

Asked him and he said he didn't take anything not even cold/flu tablets.

He's in good health/shape so we are both finding it odd.
I am asking because some meds can have those side-effects.

IN this case it's the virus because a few people reported on it in Germany as well. If that is the worst - passing loss of smell and taste, then it's weird, but nothing major.

Recently a German virologist did a study trying to find the infectiousness of the virus - visting housholds with multiple positively tested people. The cases were mild, loss of smell was reported relatively often. But what was interesting was that the virologist could not find any live viruses anywhere. It means that accordign to his study it essentially dries out and dies extremely fast. You would have to be sneezed at directly or touch a surface that was just snorted at.

Coronaviruses are more cold viruses who cause more congested noses than anything more - respiratory issues are actually second.

Also I might add - the lack of heavy medication for viral pneumonia is endemic in Germany and Austria - it helps to explain why the mortality is so low. I read about the patients released from the Diamond Princess - did not get anything in Germany - just food and drink, checkups. Meanwhile in Italy, China and New York City they are medicated up the bazoo with antivirals, AIDS meds, antibiotics and then they are surprised when the condition gets worse.

So the cases described here fit well - little to no medication and some supplements. Would have felt a lot better with megadosing, but it's irrelevant frankly unless you developed more severe symptoms which would necessitate a higher dose to stay out of the hospital.

AnonymousBosch

Crow
Gold Member
SamuelBRoberts said:
So this thread is 10 pages, how'd we finally end up with this?

Did anybody here end up diagnosed with Corona?
Based on all the original medical data I've had it, right down to clearing up around the 18 day mark.

It was impossible, however, to get tested unless you met an ultra-specific set of circumstances, including already being in ARDS. The phone lines just told you to 'self isolate' for a couple of weeks.

It's almost as if they were hiding the data.

Note that although i couldn't have 'possibly had it', having had these same set of symptoms also meant I wasn't allowed to attend a medical centre and had to talk to a doctor via a phone link.

joost

Kingfisher
A relative of mine got it. Mid 20's and in northern Italy (late January). He said it was the worst flu he had. For 3 days he was in bed feeling pain in his whole body and sweating excessively. His body temperature was 39.5 Celsius (103 F). At the time he took antibiotics but made no difference.

Nothing new here. Just pointing that It happened to someone I know.

joost

Kingfisher
Bury Zenek said:
It's valuable information. Was he tested?
He wasn't tested. He's a doctor and had contact with 3 confirmed cases. The hospital is refusing to test employees. Probably don't want to risk losing employees who present no symptoms and to avoid panic.

They're wearing "hazmat" suits most of the time.

I asked him about the amount of ventilators. He told me there's not enough for all and they prioritize younger patients.

AnonymousBosch

Crow
Gold Member
I went downtown today to go to a larger supermarket - only the second time I've really driven anywhere in 5 weeks.

As I was leaving, I thought I'd duck around the corner to the tiny little supermarket to get some Ginger, Yams and Sweetened Banana.

An Indian and Asian Supermarket.

The Supermarket I went to the last week of February to stock up on bulk spices in case we got shut down.

The Supermarket I went to a week before I developed Covid Symptoms.

There's my infection vector. All the Asian Students were back from overseas for the beginning of University on the first week of March, and the place is small and often packed. The aisles are barely one person wide.

So I couldn't be tested for covid because I hadn't traveled overseas, even though our city is ridiculously multicultural, yet I couldn't see a Doctor to diagnose me with something else because I was showing covid symptoms. Clown world.

Note also, my Blood type is one of the rarer A types.

AnonymousBosch said:
I went downtown today to go to a larger supermarket - only the second time I've really driven anywhere in 5 weeks.

As I was leaving, I thought I'd duck around the corner to the tiny little supermarket to get some Ginger, Yams and Sweetened Banana.

An Indian and Asian Supermarket.

The Supermarket I went to the last week of February to stock up on bulk spices in case we got shut down.

The Supermarket I went to a week before I developed Covid Symptoms.

There's my infection vector. All the Asian Students were back from overseas for the beginning of University on the first week of March, and the place is small and often packed. The aisles are barely one person wide.

So I couldn't be tested for covid because I hadn't traveled overseas, even though our city is ridiculously multicultural, yet I couldn't see a Doctor to diagnose me with something else because I was showing covid symptoms. Clown world.

Note also, my Blood type is one of the rarer A types.
Which also means that similar to Japan or Taiwan - Australia has had it's peak before any measures were imposed - the thing is just another of the countless medium-to-stronger flu waves - and not even the strongest in the last 20 years.

The response was just overwhelmingly insane.

And honestly - thus Australia ran more like Sweden and has nothing to fear - I obviously knew that in-shape guys would not be affected by it even if compromised with the immune system. The ones who have to fear things are 80+ or very very sick/obese/cancer-patients - those people are always at risk, any flu in the summer can kill them. There is a reason why they live 20+ years shorter than people who are in shape. (Just as gay people for different reasons.)

I said in another post that two of my American friends were relatively sure they had it.

Now I wonder if what I had back in February was it. Likely not, but it seems more likely than I thought at the time. I could still smell/taste fine and it seems nothing was wrong with my lungs. Although, I had fever, fatigue and a dry cough for the longest time. And my immune system was much better after I left NZ, yet I still succumbed and it was worse than average, probably top 5 in terms of colds/flus(I had a bad immune system in NZ/childhood so that meant something). My conclusion at the time was it was a regular flu but maybe I had stress. At the time I also thought that winter up in Europe where it's so north is really brutal then if colds/flus just hit random healthy people.