I need decisionmaking help re: book collection

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Most books are not worth much. Textbooks that are current might be over $100. Some obsure non-fiction titles that are out of print can bring a nice price. Otherwise, you are talking about small run first editions of famous books that have value. Even leather bound editions might be worth just $20-$40. Odds are that most of the books you have are not very valuable.

You can list them online for free at Amazon, although they do take a hefty commission when they sell. There is also Amazon FBA, which is what I did, but the storage fees got ridiculous and it was no longer profitable.
Thank you, books really are most valuable to the original owner.

I will not share titles I'm donating or throwing out.
I don't want to sell, I was just thinking about replacement cost for storage place mandatory insurance.

That must have been wonderful having that many books that you had

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Continued treasured books that Rvf'ers might find valuable:

✓Wilderness Kingdom New Cookbook 1972, 1989, 2000 byPrairie Crafts Saskatoon, SK

✓Wild Game Cookbook published for Unity Miners Hockey Club by Gateway Publishing Co. Ltd. (looks like early 1980's)

✓Aboriginal Plant Use in Canada's Northwest Boreal Forest by Robin J. Marles2012 published by Natural Resources Canada, Canadian Forest Service

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
continued:
✓The Basic Book of Organic Gardening by Robert Rodale1971Rodale Press

✓Introduction to Certified Organic Farming Second edition by Rupert Jannasch and REAP-Canadadotcom staff2002 published by Canadian Farm Business Management Council and Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada

✓The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham1973/2006 HarperCollins

✓The Interpretation of Financial Statements The Classic 1937 Edition by Benjamin Graham and Spencer B. Meredith1937/1998 Harper&Row/HarperCollins Business

✓The Affluent Society by John Kenneth Galbraith1958/1998 Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company

✓The Theory of the Leisure Class by Thorstein Veblen A Limited Edition The Franklin Library 1979

✓Boom, Bust & Echo by David K. Foot1996published by Macfarlane Walter&Ross

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Continued:
✓Mr.Modem's Internet Guide for Seniors Third Edition by Richard A. Sherman2001Get-the-Net, Inc

✓G*ogle Semantic Search by David Amerland2014 by Pearson Education, Inc

✓Buy Now Pay Later by Hillel Black1961Pocket Books

✓Back to Basics: How to Learn and Enjoy Our Traditional Skills1981 Reader's Digest Association(Canada) Ltd.

✓Modern Essentials The Complete Guide to the Therapeutic Use of Essential Oils Ninth Edition2017 by Aromatoolsdotcom

Last edited:

Stoyan

Pelican
Orthodox
Most books are not worth much. Textbooks that are current might be over $100. Some obsure non-fiction titles that are out of print can bring a nice price. Otherwise, you are talking about small run first editions of famous books that have value. Even leather bound editions might be worth just $20-$40. Odds are that most of the books you have are not very valuable.
Who in the world gives a monetary value to books? The value that a certain book has for an intellectual individual is greater than the monetary value that "society" assigns to the book. Such books are priceless.

Starlight

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
Who in the world gives a monetary value to books? The value that a certain book has for an intellectual individual is greater than the monetary value that "society" assigns to the book. Such books are priceless.
College textbooks are a total extortion racket.

Hypno

Crow

I get your point, but when you go to sell them its all about supply and demand. Some used books are in abundance relative to demand, others are in short supply. Also, a book is basically paper and cardboard, so once it has been written an additional copy can be created for not very much money.

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
I get your point, but when you go to sell them its all about supply and demand. Some used books are in abundance relative to demand, others are in short supply. Also, a book is basically paper and cardboard, so once it has been written an additional copy can be created for not very much money.
I googled all but the Orthodox material I listed so far and virtually all is readily available to order.......for now.

It makes sense what you write.

Will the price of paper ever skyrocket like the price of 2×4's and sheathing lumber(other tree products)? I don't know.

Thankfully, there's different ways to manufacture paper out of different materials than trees.

One never re-e-a-a-lly gets supply and demand until one goes to sell something they are attached to. For example, I toyed with the idea of selling two of my rural townlots to raise down payment for a mortgage in the city. No. They're still not worth enough.

An international buyer would be pleased to buy them probably, at the price I require.... but I can't find an agent to list on the MLS for me, at the price I want. Unless there's a way to get on there myself.
Of course, there could be other free ways to advertise your rural townlots internationally, I just don't know of them yet.

I don't want to sell my books. I was just staying open to the possibility of doing so as I began to go through them.

Stoyan

Pelican
Orthodox
My definition of a book, a book is basically an intellectual thought, ascribed onto a physical medium as a collection of letters, words, sentences. The characters that you use to write the book don't matter. "War and Peace" is the same book in the English alphabet, the Russian azbuka, the Chinese characters, and the Egyptian hieroglyphs. The physical medium that the book is written on also doesn't matter. The book can be a paper and cardboard as you said, or it can be a PDF, or an audiobook (a recording of someone reading the book, as an audio file), or even a bunch of metallic plates held together with a binder. My point is that a the book is valuable for the information contained within, not for the medium that the information is written on.

125-1.jpg

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Unalterable mediums are the best.

What do you think of that loaded disk they sent up to space? I think they put some books on there. But what if it got damaged?

Stoyan

Pelican
Orthodox
Unalterable mediums are the best.

What do you think of that loaded disk they sent up to space? I think they put some books on there. But what if it got damaged?

I don't know what kind of disk do you mean. It depends on what kind of disk it is. A single scratch on the CD or DVD is enough to invalidate the data. Spinning disks of the computer hard drives are somewhat more resistant to damages, but they still have a spinning disk. Solid state hard drives are much more resistant to damages, because they are solid state, they contain no moving parts, no spinning disks. It's the same technology as USB sticks.

iu

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
I don't know what kind of disk do you mean. It depends on what kind of disk it is. A single scratch on the CD or DVD is enough to invalidate the data. Spinning disks of the computer hard drives are somewhat more resistant to damages, but they still have a spinning disk. Solid state hard drives are much more resistant to damages, because they are solid state, they contain no moving parts, no spinning disks. It's the same technology as USB sticks.

iu
I was wrong, there's no books recorded on it. It was a goldplated phonograph record sent up with spacecraft Voyager from North America, I think, in 1977. I'll take a wiki page screenshotScreenshot_20220603-110142.png

Hypno

Crow
My definition of a book, a book is basically an intellectual thought, ascribed onto a physical medium as a collection of letters, words, sentences. The characters that you use to write the book don't matter. "War and Peace" is the same book in the English alphabet, the Russian azbuka, the Chinese characters, and the Egyptian hieroglyphs. The physical medium that the book is written on also doesn't matter. The book can be a paper and cardboard as you said, or it can be a PDF, or an audiobook (a recording of someone reading the book, as an audio file), or even a bunch of metallic plates held together with a binder. My point is that a the book is valuable for the information contained within, not for the medium that the information is written on.

125-1.jpg

If you want sell your books to someone else, then you should read some economics books first. The price you are able to receive is not a function of what is inside but rather supply and demand.

Hypno

Crow
I googled all but the Orthodox material I listed so far and virtually all is readily available to order.......for now.

Don't use Google; look them up on Amazon.

Look at the lowerst price from a private seller, not FBA, in your condition. Your condition is going to be VG unless there is writing in the book, in which case Good. Also look at that Amazon sales rank - any book 1 million or below will likely sell in 6 months. 5 million and below probably two thirds of them will sell in 12 months.

If you search around on Amazon, you can open a seller account. There are fees to do this, but only if you sell a book. Understand the fees, vacation settings, how you are charged for shipping, shipping speeds and costs, etc.

FBA is fullfilled by Amazon. If you pay $40 a month, you can ship your books to Amazon and store them there. The advantage is that Amazon ships to the customer so it gets there very fast and the customer, if they are Prime, is not charged for shipping. So the price you receive for the sale is usually higher, sometimes a lot higher due to supply and demand.

Don't sell books FBA until you have lots of books listed. It requires a considerable time and money investment (shipping and storage costs, etc.) Its not for most people.

What you find about used book prices is that most fiction, other than classics, wont' sell and has little resale value. Maybe a few bucks but that is a wash with transaction costs.

Nonfiction can work. What you will find is that the more niche the subject can bring higher prices. This is becaue they were never printed in large quantities. There are a billion copies of In Search of Excellence or Rich Dad Poor Dad or The Millionaire Next Door available at used bookstores, but very few copies of Roosh's books. I once sold a book about lapband (gastric bypass) surgery for $65 that I got from the "free" table at a used bookstore. It was too niche for them to use up valuable shelfspace but was printed in low quantities so demanded a high price on Amazon. Textbooks that are current also go for a pretty penny, as well as books that are required reading in college but not a text book per se.

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Don't use Google; look them up on Amazon.

Look at the lowerst price from a private seller, not FBA, in your condition. Your condition is going to be VG unless there is writing in the book, in which case Good. Also look at that Amazon sales rank - any book 1 million or below will likely sell in 6 months. 5 million and below probably two thirds of them will sell in 12 months.

If you search around on Amazon, you can open a seller account. There are fees to do this, but only if you sell a book. Understand the fees, vacation settings, how you are charged for shipping, shipping speeds and costs, etc.

FBA is fullfilled by Amazon. If you pay $40 a month, you can ship your books to Amazon and store them there. The advantage is that Amazon ships to the customer so it gets there very fast and the customer, if they are Prime, is not charged for shipping. So the price you receive for the sale is usually higher, sometimes a lot higher due to supply and demand.

Don't sell books FBA until you have lots of books listed. It requires a considerable time and money investment (shipping and storage costs, etc.) Its not for most people.

What you find about used book prices is that most fiction, other than classics, wont' sell and has little resale value. Maybe a few bucks but that is a wash with transaction costs.

Nonfiction can work. What you will find is that the more niche the subject can bring higher prices. This is becaue they were never printed in large quantities. There are a billion copies of In Search of Excellence or Rich Dad Poor Dad or The Millionaire Next Door available at used bookstores, but very few copies of Roosh's books. I once sold a book about lapband (gastric bypass) surgery for $65 that I got from the "free" table at a used bookstore. It was too niche for them to use up valuable shelfspace but was printed in low quantities so demanded a high price on Amazon. Textbooks that are current also go for a pretty penny, as well as books that are required reading in college but not a text book per se.
Thank you, its obvious this valuable info is based on personal experience. Thank you very much.

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Continued booklist titles:

✓Make Ahead Paleo by Tammy Credicott2013 Victory Belt Publishing Inc.

✓Everday Paleo Thai cuisine by Sarah Fragoso2014 Victory Belt Publishing Inc.

✓The Everything Coin Collecting Book by Richard Giedroyc2007 F + W Publications, Inc.

✓Celiac Disease for Dummies by Ian Blumer 2010 John Wiley & Sons Canada, Ltd.

✓Celiac Disease by Peter H. R. Green 2006 HarperCollins Publishers

✓ Wheat-free, Worry-free by Danna Korn 2002 Hay House Publishers

✓The Gluten-free Gourmet Bakes Bread by Bette Hagman1999 Henry Holt and Company

✓ The Primal Blueprint Cookbook by MarkSisson 2010 primalblueprintdotcom

✓Keto.genesis by Alicia Tobin 2015 Foresight Publishing

✓The Grain Brain Cookbook by David Permutter 2014 Little, Brown and Company

✓ Living Wheat-free for Dummies by Rusty Gregory 2014 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

✓all of the cookbooks in the Wheat Belly series by William Davis

✓The Big Sister's Guide to the World of Work by Marcelle DiFalco 2005 Simon & Schuster

Last edited:

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Continued but periodicals/handouts that were stuffed into my Certified Organic books

✓Evergreen Brickworks-a pamphlet evergreendotca

✓TorontoGuide2009-a pamphlet- greenlivingonlinedotcom and it transfers to greenlivingshowdotca....there's a f*cebook page link near bottom

✓ fairworldprojectdotorg magazines

✓edibletorontodotcom magazine

✓the organic advantage magazine by pro-certdotorg

✓food 'maps'....✓guelphwellingtonlocalfooddotca
✓grimsbychamberdotcom put out a fruit farm directory
✓simcoecountyfarmfreshdotca
✓durhamfarmfreshdotca
✓environmenthamiltondotorg put out a farm map&directory
✓haltondotca put out 'A guided tour of Halton farms' map
✓agrotourismniagaradotcom put out a 'Niagara AgriTourism Circuit map

Let these inspire you to find farm maps in your area

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
✓ Knotting for Scouts-The Boy Scout Series No.5 published by Boy Scouts of Canada-Ottawa with more references in back of this booklet see attached pic...too large to upload, sorry
✓ Pocket Guide to Knots & Splices by Des Pawson2001PRC Publishing/Prospero Books Excellent instructions with good colour pics inside
✓The Field Guide to Knots by Bob Holtzman2015 Quid Publishing
✓The Sailor's Handbook edited by H.C. Hereshoff1983 Thomas Allen & Sons Ltd. Canada

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
✓Propane Carburetion-Some Technical Considerations 1991/July 1992 Minister of Supply and Services Canada published by authority of Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources, Gov. of Canada Cat No. M27-46/1991 .... ISBN 0-662-56588-6 (how to run a propane car/truck with good install/ repair tips)
✓Natural Gas- An alternative transportation fuel Minister of Supply and Services Canada 1991/July 1992 Cat. No. M27-71/1991 ISBN 0-662-55887-1 same publisher as the propane one above
✓The Complete Motorcycle Book-A Consumer's Guide by Jim Bennett 1995 publisher Facts On File, Inc. NY
✓American Iron and Revolution motorcycling magazines 2013

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
✓ The Orders of Architecture by Arthur Stratton1931London B.T. Batsford, Ltd
✓ The Styles of English Architecture Combined in One Volume by Arthur Stratton1949 B.T. Batsford Ltd.
✓History of Art Second Edition by H.W. Janson1977/1983 Prentice-Hall, Inc NJ
✓The Best Poems of the English Language selected by Harold Bloom2004 HarperCollins

Last edited: