I want to learn how to sell items on ebay-anyone have experience getting started in this?

christie2

Sparrow
Woman
I'm just about to watch some youtube videos on this.

How much of my own private i.d. information must be on ebay as a seller?

Thanks, sorry I don't know anything about ebay except that buyers may foolishly overbid for my sale item and thus I may get a higher price than selling elsewhere....this is what intrigues me to learn how to ebay.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
My husband does because he has nerd collectibles. A lot of it is timing. He has good luck generally because he knows the market.

I've tried stuff like Poshmark to sell clothes and it seems like shoes and accessories sell the most. Probably the same with eBay.

It's not complicated to set up. Good luck!

MRAll134

Pelican
I'm just about to watch some youtube videos on this.

How much of my own private i.d. information must be on ebay as a seller?

Thanks, sorry I don't know anything about ebay except that buyers may foolishly overbid for my sale item and thus I may get a higher price than selling elsewhere....this is what intrigues me to learn how to ebay.
You will need to turn over all of your banking info', if you want to sell on Ebay. I was on there for a few years, when they were linked with Paypal. I don't sell on there anymore, though (because of recent changes).

Also, this is a good Reddit to follow, before you get started. Lots of useful info':

Mrs.DanielH

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
It's really easy. You don't really have to share your personal info publicly. Like someone said, it unfortunately uses your bank info now. I liked the PayPal system better, it felt more secure. You can post a lot of stuff for free but they recently also started charging higher commission fees. When I recently thought about selling clothes eBay was the best option for me to make the most money but it also has the highest time investment since you have to upload all the items yourself. Then if they sell you have to handle shipping too, which can take up a lot of time.

Grow Bag

Pelican
I've sold a number of items on ebay. It's a fairly easy process to to list an item. Just make sure you represent what you're selling in as much detail as you can. Usually I add a number photos from various angles, adding photos of any defects where necessary. Same goes for the description, be thorough so you don't get any come-backs. I've sold some expensive items, so I got into the habit of being meticulous. Also I've got an unblemished record, which helps a lot with sales, so I want to keep it that way. Pack it all presentably and use an appropriate postal service for the value of the item (expensive items I send recorded delivery or collect and pay).

I found it enjoyable selling stuff, but since ebay requested my bank details I've not bothered. I don't particularly want to give my bank details to ebay. Not that I trust Paypal, I just think the changes might have something to do with making it easier for the taxman to snoop on your activity. So I doubt I be selling anything else.

christie2

Sparrow
Woman
I have an extremely amateur coin collection that I'm going to check the value of with 3 local dealers first.
I figure if I write a flower-y description on ebay or somewhere I may convince someone they want this or that coin, lol.
Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, or so I've been told about antiques and art and classic cars.

Camellia

Sparrow
Woman
Ebay always seemed too complicated. I like Poshmark much better. It's more straight-forward and favorable to the sellers.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
Ebay always seemed too complicated. I like Poshmark much better. It's more straight-forward and favorable to the sellers.

I just deleted my Poshmark account. It seems like shoes and accessories sell well. I put some clothes up and didn't sell any, but all the shoes went, as well as some scarves, earrings, wallets, etc.

It's worth it if you have branded/luxury items. My neighbor threw out a box of shoes so I put some up and the Coach and Converse sold within a day. Otherwise it was kind of a pain in the butt.

inthefade

Robin
Orthodox Inquirer
Ebay WAS very easy before they changed to not using paypal.

Be sure to post as many pictures with google views/angles as possible. DO NOT use a generic picture if you actually want to sell anything.

Camellia

Sparrow
Woman
I just deleted my Poshmark account. It seems like shoes and accessories sell well. I put some clothes up and didn't sell any, but all the shoes went, as well as some scarves, earrings, wallets, etc.

It's worth it if you have branded/luxury items. My neighbor threw out a box of shoes so I put some up and the Coach and Converse sold within a day. Otherwise it was kind of a pain in the butt.
Yes, I've noticed that! I have only sold nice clothes/shoes there and have been very pleased. Generally, I don't bother with cheaper items - neither on Poshmark nor anywhere else. I just take them to my local consignment store.

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
I have found Etsy much easier than eBay for me to sell handcrafted or vintage things.

eBay is fine but I think there are better markets if you’re not a major seller that earns your living solely through e-commerce. My dad runs an antiques resale business as his current retired income and he said that eBay is the least effective of online markets. He has much better sales rates with Facebook marketplace, Etsy or even Craigslist. Depending on what you want to sell, there are also plenty of other marketplaces where your success rate will be higher if you have a niche market.

If you do go the eBay route, I found it helpful to first build up a good buyer history and profile with feedback before transitioning to selling. That way people can see you are trusted to do business with and are legit. I’m not 100% sure if this is still the way things work on eBay though. At the time I transitioned to being a seller, I had good buyer feedback and that was included in my profile and helped other buyers to trust me as a new seller.

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman

I keep hearing about poshmark but know little about it.
Another suggestion is the Grailed family of branded resale e-commerce. I think it was mentioned in the men’s Style forum as a good place to get label and luxury items for less. The sister company is called Heroine and while I haven’t sold there, I have picked up a couple nice pieces (classic Burberry trench coat and a simple vintage Chanel necklace chain and pendant). They seem to authenticate items so that is a win from both buyer and seller perspectives.

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
now that I think about it, it’s too bad there couldn’t be a marketplace in this forum for buy/sell/trade amongst ourselves. But I can certainly see how that would be logistically complicated so as not to dox members.

Edit to add: I’m late to the party as usual and see that your question was in regards to a coin collection. For that I would think you’d have better luck with the local dealers that could suggest a coin trade show or even make you an offer themselves, as coins are such a specialized niche of collectors.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
I keep hearing about poshmark but know little about it.

It's very easy to use-- basically upload a picture and description, and people search for items.

They cover shipping and provide a prepaid label. I think the shipping cost is why lower priced items don't sell, though. Sometimes people buy multiple items to defray the shipping cost.

I think if you have a lot of branded or luxury type things it's a good app.

Caduceus

Pelican
I have an extremely amateur coin collection that I'm going to check the value of with 3 local dealers first.
I figure if I write a flower-y description on ebay or somewhere I may convince someone they want this or that coin, lol.
Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, or so I've been told about antiques and art and classic cars.

You should first separate the coins by metal type.

Any coin with real silver in it is usually worth more than those that are not....and any coin with real gold in it, will of course be the most valuable thing of all. A 1 ounce (31.1 gram) gold coin is worth about 1800 dollars at today's rate.

Avoid scrap gold/silver buyers and go for local COIN (numismatic) shop shops for a quote.
You may have to travel to a bigger city with more coin shops to get more offers.

christie2

Sparrow
Woman
Thank you for these practical steps. I did separate the silver and I did separate the tokens from the numerical money and separated countries' coins. I have a coin value book from 2016 and I remember I counted everything only being worth about 100 bucks then, including the paper currency.

I was thinking I may have to go to a bigger city too.
Where I first started collecting was near a big city, I could actually just return there to try to get them to buy.
A small voice in my head is saying just hold onto it.

Originally, I was thinking of ads on the internet however, because I know how foolish people can get competitively when bidding up an item in an auction. I was thinking it was the only way to make them more valuable.

presidentcarter

Ostrich
Gold Member
Look into Mercari app for selling.

Mercari is better than ebay for many reasons, although they did increase the fee over the past year.

eBay still king for most items and for largest customer base but Mercari wins otherwise for me.

Take good photos, write an accurate description, and ship it well using recycled shipping supplies you get from stuff you order. Research sold listings for price reference (eBay and Mercari have an option to show sold items in your search).

Poshmark for ladies’ or kids clothes in particular.

The hard part comes in where to source additional inventory.

If you have specific questions for eBay or Mercari feel free to pm me.

Last edited: