Iconic Australian brands now racist - an 85 year old cheese, 129 year old lollies (candies)

PixelFree

Kingfisher
Well, it's happened. Australia just had it's own 'Aunt Jemima' and 'Uncle Ben'.

The cheese I grew up with is now racist. Who would have thought I was such a Nazi back when I was 10 eating Vegemite and cheese sangas (sandwiches for the rest of the world).

The brand, which was originally an Australian owned company, was named after American Edward William Coon.

A statement previously published on the company’s website said the brand was named after “the work of an American, Edward William Coon, who patented a unique ripening process that was used to manufacture the original Coon cheese”.

However, the word is also a highly offensive racial slur used towards people of colour.

IMG_0552.JPG

This was just after a couple of candies (lollies) became racist.

Allen's (129 year old Australian confectionery company, now owned by Nestle) had two lollies named Red Skins and Chicos. Had.

41911716-1-sz.jpgdownload.jpg

king bast

Woodpecker
The Canadian owners of Coon cheese have responded to calls for the name to be dumped, saying after careful consideration, they’ll be renaming the popular Aussie cheese.
Why the fuck is an iconic australian cheese owned by canadians? I wonder much they paid to own this piece of our heritage.

PixelFree

Kingfisher
I feel like things like this tend to have the opposite intended effect. How many Australians even knew 'coon' was a [dated]pejorative for black people?
Agreed - and I think that's it's true purpose. I think it's sad that some Aboriginal people are used as weaponised pawns in this way, just like other minority groups in America and many other people from all races and backgrounds.

I don't think these views are held by the majority of everyday Aboriginals, same as the change the date push to move our national day. Polls have shown an overwhelming majority of Aboriginals don't care about the date. The local government councils that are leading this push use dodgy sampled surveys and polls to show the opposite.

There are far more pressing things to be focused on like health, family issues, employment and so on. None of the usual suspects mention those uncomfortable truths, and if they actually cared about Aboriginal people, they would.

It's always white left and 'white' people who are behind these things, and they find (or even create) an Aboriginal to use as a front men.

Tex Cruise

Kingfisher
I feel like things like this tend to have the opposite intended effect. How many Australians even knew 'coon' was a [dated]pejorative for black people?
Lots, if not most.
"Coon" is still a common use derogatory slang term for a certain lower class of Australian blacks. The negative equivalent to "Nigger". The positive "Blackfella" being basically the equivalent to "Nigga"
I actually always thought "Coon" was an Australian slang term until I saw Forrest Gump.
Thing is, Coon has been both a cheese and an insult since as long as I can remember, and nobody cared until now.
People used to understand context.

PixelFree

Kingfisher
FYI the surname 'Coon' is the 1800-1900's anglicised version of the German name 'Kuhn'.

So, I guess in a way, the cheese is Nazi.

the high

Woodpecker
Lots, if not most.
"Coon" is still a common use derogatory slang term for a certain lower class of Australian blacks. The negative equivalent to "Nigger". The positive "Blackfella" being basically the equivalent to "Nigga"
I actually always thought "Coon" was an Australian slang term until I saw Forrest Gump.
Thing is, Coon has been both a cheese and an insult since as long as I can remember, and nobody cared until now.
People used to understand context.
Didn't know that. But when you say lower class of Australian blacks, are you referring to Aborigines?

Tex Cruise

Kingfisher
Didn't know that. But when you say lower class of Australian blacks, are you referring to Aborigines?
The unemployed/violent/criminal class of Aborigines.
Most people wouldn't refer to someone as a "coon" for being of Aboriginal descent, Coons stole your car and burned it on a sports oval.