If I get her to quit smoking, what are the risks from how much she smoked in her teens and 20s?

Waverer

Robin
The girl I have been involved with the last 6-7 weeks smokes 15 a day. She is 32 and has smoked since she was 16, other than a 2 year period when she quit. I am absolutely not interested in getting serious with someone who might easily die 20 years earlier than me, I've told her so, and she's committed to quitting.

My question is this: if she quits now, what are the risks of heart problems, cancer etc. from having smoked a lot for 14 years when she was younger? Obviously we all have to go some time, so if it's slightly above normal, no biggie. But if she's much more likely to die in her sixties even if she quits tomorrow, I want to know.

(Has anyone else had this situation with an ex- or current smoker?)

EndlessGravity

Kingfisher

Her risks will probably turn to normal. This is not the only research that I've read suggesting health outcomes return to normal if a young person, otherwise healthy, quits by 35 and never smokes again.

Quiting isn't easy, however. So be ready for that.

I remember seeing this infographic before. Keep in mind I never did "fact check" it:

ilostabet

Pelican
They lie about everything. Except tobacco. The mainstream is telling you the truth about that one: it's obvious that God created an evil plant which humans have been consuming in a variety of forms for thousands of years but only in its industrial form seems to have any danger. Believe.

Sitting Bull

Sparrow
The industrial junk food phenomenon of today doesn't prove that we should stop eating altogether. Most of the contents of modern cigarettes today are added non-tobacco ingredients designed to make the product last longer, to make the consumer addicted to it etc.

ilostabet

Pelican
The industrial junk food phenomenon of today doesn't prove that we should stop eating altogether. Most of the contents of modern cigarettes today are added non-tobacco ingredients designed to make the product last longer, to make the consumer addicted to it etc.

Precisely, Sitting Bull (you would know I suppose). Hence, the correct response is for the OP to make his woman start smoking quality organic tobacco and for him to be a man and take it up himself (and preferably grow his own, just like you should do with your food, medicine and everything really).