Increasing Testosterone Naturally With Supplements and Lifestyle (no TRT)

Robert High Hawk

Kingfisher
Caught one of your livestreams recently where people started joining the Pine Pollen Gang, so I got some of that Lost Empire brand tincture you were repping and have been using over the past couple of weeks. Strangely enough, the effect I've appreciated the most is the faster recovery from workouts. Feels like I'm a bit more resilient somehow, and that alone made it worth trying. I'll probably cycle through it for a while and see how things go.

Not a fan of the sublingual dosing and aftertaste (alcohol extraction), but if it works it works.
Just ordered some, going to give it a try.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
I’ve been off TRT for a few months now. Though most of my lifts continue to improve every week, I think there’s a noticeable (to me) difference in muscle/fat composition. I doubt other people would notice though.

Beaker

Robin
about 1 year ago, I was in exceedingly poor health and dealing with a myriad of serious and complicated health problems. Not surprisingly, my testosterone levels were extremely low - my total testosterone levels were 324 ng/dL. This is in the range for men aged 85-100. Free testosterone was also very low at 56.4 pg/mL. For both, I was at the low end of the entire reference range. My primary care physician would have given me TRT if I wanted it, but I didn't, believing that I could improve it naturally.
View attachment 24947

View attachment 24948

For those who remember the Buzzfeed article about the 4 soyboys, only 1 of the 4 guys had slightly higher free testosterone than I did, and that was when I was catastrophically ill at the time. For me to be seriously ill and still have significantly higher T than 3 of those dudes who were presumably healthy is mind boggling.

Low testosterone is a serious problem. I'm assuming that for a their entire adult lives, those 4 men had low testosterone and never approached normal testosterone, so they never had a reference to compare with what normal testosterone feels like. I believe that their condition feels totally normal to them because it's all that they have ever known. I on the other hand had "normal" T at one time so I understand what both normal and low T feels like, and I can recognize that I have a problem when I have low T.

I decided against TRT because I believe in a holistic approach to overall health and expected to improve my levels slowly over time as my health improved. I am a big fan of Chinese herbs and nutritional supplements and I know they work because I've used myself as a guinea pig over the years. As I recovered over the past year with the help of my open minded primary care physician (MD) and nutritionist, one thing that I've been taking only since March of this year, is a supplement called Tongkat Ali - 1 pill, 3 times a day. I can't say exactly how much it contributed to my increase in testosterone, but along with weighlifting and putting on 15-20 pounds of muscle as I recovered from illness, you can see the huge improvement relative to my original results 1 year ago. 30% increase in total testosterone, and a 53% increase in free testosterone.

View attachment 24949

Also, as part of my yearlong recovery while I worked with my healthcare providers, coincidentally I followed every recommendation in this article:

1. lifted weights and went from extremely skinny and underweight (from illness) to regaining nearly 10% of my entire body mass as muscle
2. ate plenty of chicken drumsticks, rice, oatmeal, yuca daily, drank a gallon of water a day
3. minimized stress - only worked a part time job and didn't work to the point of burnout, taking time to take daily walks and meditate and exercise and stretch
4. sun and vitamin D - this was not so simple. as explained to my by my nutritionist, vitamin D needs to get into the digestive tract and that doesn't really happen when you get vitamin D through the sun. I was taking my shirt off during daily walks. In order to get even more Vitamin D, I tried supplements but was allergic to all of them since Vitamin D is derived from lanolin from sheep's wool which I am allergic to. Same goes for lichen-based vegan vitamin D. I am also allergic to cod and fish, so fish-based vitamin D was out of the question. Finally, we found something that did work, which I only started taking recently so I have a feeling the results haven't fully kicked in yet. It's the prescription calcitriol, which is the already converted form of Vitamin D used by your body. The other Vitamin D supplements I listed have to be converted twice by the body to get to the active form. Sometimes the conversion doesn't happen well so for a shortcut, I think that calcitriol might be greatly beneficial to many people who are low in Vitamin D.
5. Take vitamin supplements - while working with an expert nutritionist, we developed a good base of supplementation to help me recover based on what I needed as per various test results. These include: fiber, glutamine, adrenal support, thyroid support, vitamin C, copper, B12, calcium, vitamin D, and other stuff tailored to my specific needs.
6. sleep - got plenty of that, 9-10 hours a day consistently to aid in my recovery, with 3 mg melatonin to help the sleep cycle
7. testosterone supplements - tongkat ali is listed here, and it's the only one I took (1 pill, 3x/day)
8. follow a healthy lifestyle and avoid estrogenic compounds - I use a brita filter but once it's filtered I transfer the water to a stainless steel gallon container that I drink out of all day. No soy. stretching, praying, reading the bible, sharing time with loving family daily on the phone, keeping in contact with friends despite covid lockdowns, playing video games, working and not stressing out, I definitely am living a good balanced healthy life at the moment as I recover.

I wrote this in hopes of showing people that they too can improve their testosterone levels without TRT. If I can do it while recovering from catastrophic illness, so can you.
IHME.png
Your testosterone was actually at the European average and now is at the Canadian and Swedish average. It was never low.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
View attachment 29078
Your testosterone was actually at the European average and now is at the Canadian and Swedish average. It was never low.
Average is not optimal.

If your average person is 20 lbs overweight and borderline diabetic would that be a good thing?

If your average male can't bench press his body weight or has the bone density of a 65 year old man at 35, one would want to increase that... Be it naturally through homeopathic methods or exogenous supplementation.

Not trying to be a contrarian, just clarifying that average isnt ideal.

GWYW2015

Woodpecker
Orthodox
I am 59 and started TRT. I am well informed of it. It simply is a wonderful thing if dosed and managed properly by a trained physician, which isn't always the case. Low T will be bad for everything-brain, bones, body comp, sex drive, strength, stamina, cholesterol, heart, you name it, and yes, also bone mineral density. It is ruinous for it to be too low for too long. It is not the end of the world, it can be a renewal when you feel much better and can start to see the results.

I have tried a bunch of supplements which did not work. I monitored with blood tests because this is the only way to actually know if your levels are higher. Too much bad living will drive anyone's levels into the 100s short term. The problem is if it is month after month or year after year testing poorly, then you have a problem and a decision to make.

Average is not optimal.

If your average person is 20 lbs overweight and borderline diabetic would that be a good thing?

If your average male can't bench press his body weight or has the bone density of a 65 year old man at 35, one would want to increase that... Be it naturally through homeopathic methods or exogenous supplementation.

I also find it very hard to believe that the average Philippines male has some of the highest levels of testosterone globally.

Thomas More

Hummingbird
I also find it very hard to believe that the average Philippines male has some of the highest levels of testosterone globally.
Agreed. I don't think that map is accurate at all. I doubt they are getting a representative sample of the male population in every country. I would expect developed countries to have lower levels than developing countries as a general rule, and that doesn't appear here. Mexico, Brazil, South Africa, and the Philippines are developing countries, so they fit the pattern, but all the other developing countries have numbers that are hard to believe.

Beaker

Robin
Average is not optimal.

It's also largely genetic, you can expect a modest increase. I think too much is made of self inprovement, yes you should be concerned with your health, especially if it's bad, but you are what you are. The attitude that comes with men that try to be more than what they were given is annoying and leads to unnecessary conflict. It becomes a matter of ego and pride.

bmw633

Woodpecker
about 1 year ago, I was in exceedingly poor health and dealing with a myriad of serious and complicated health problems. Not surprisingly, my testosterone levels were extremely low - my total testosterone levels were 324 ng/dL. This is in the range for men aged 85-100. Free testosterone was also very low at 56.4 pg/mL. For both, I was at the low end of the entire reference range. My primary care physician would have given me TRT if I wanted it, but I didn't, believing that I could improve it naturally.
View attachment 24947

View attachment 24948

For those who remember the Buzzfeed article about the 4 soyboys, only 1 of the 4 guys had slightly higher free testosterone than I did, and that was when I was catastrophically ill at the time. For me to be seriously ill and still have significantly higher T than 3 of those dudes who were presumably healthy is mind boggling.

Low testosterone is a serious problem. I'm assuming that for a their entire adult lives, those 4 men had low testosterone and never approached normal testosterone, so they never had a reference to compare with what normal testosterone feels like. I believe that their condition feels totally normal to them because it's all that they have ever known. I on the other hand had "normal" T at one time so I understand what both normal and low T feels like, and I can recognize that I have a problem when I have low T.

I decided against TRT because I believe in a holistic approach to overall health and expected to improve my levels slowly over time as my health improved. I am a big fan of Chinese herbs and nutritional supplements and I know they work because I've used myself as a guinea pig over the years. As I recovered over the past year with the help of my open minded primary care physician (MD) and nutritionist, one thing that I've been taking only since March of this year, is a supplement called Tongkat Ali - 1 pill, 3 times a day. I can't say exactly how much it contributed to my increase in testosterone, but along with weighlifting and putting on 15-20 pounds of muscle as I recovered from illness, you can see the huge improvement relative to my original results 1 year ago. 30% increase in total testosterone, and a 53% increase in free testosterone.

View attachment 24949

Also, as part of my yearlong recovery while I worked with my healthcare providers, coincidentally I followed every recommendation in this article:

1. lifted weights and went from extremely skinny and underweight (from illness) to regaining nearly 10% of my entire body mass as muscle
2. ate plenty of chicken drumsticks, rice, oatmeal, yuca daily, drank a gallon of water a day
3. minimized stress - only worked a part time job and didn't work to the point of burnout, taking time to take daily walks and meditate and exercise and stretch
4. sun and vitamin D - this was not so simple. as explained to my by my nutritionist, vitamin D needs to get into the digestive tract and that doesn't really happen when you get vitamin D through the sun. I was taking my shirt off during daily walks. In order to get even more Vitamin D, I tried supplements but was allergic to all of them since Vitamin D is derived from lanolin from sheep's wool which I am allergic to. Same goes for lichen-based vegan vitamin D. I am also allergic to cod and fish, so fish-based vitamin D was out of the question. Finally, we found something that did work, which I only started taking recently so I have a feeling the results haven't fully kicked in yet. It's the prescription calcitriol, which is the already converted form of Vitamin D used by your body. The other Vitamin D supplements I listed have to be converted twice by the body to get to the active form. Sometimes the conversion doesn't happen well so for a shortcut, I think that calcitriol might be greatly beneficial to many people who are low in Vitamin D.
5. Take vitamin supplements - while working with an expert nutritionist, we developed a good base of supplementation to help me recover based on what I needed as per various test results. These include: fiber, glutamine, adrenal support, thyroid support, vitamin C, copper, B12, calcium, vitamin D, and other stuff tailored to my specific needs.
6. sleep - got plenty of that, 9-10 hours a day consistently to aid in my recovery, with 3 mg melatonin to help the sleep cycle
7. testosterone supplements - tongkat ali is listed here, and it's the only one I took (1 pill, 3x/day)
8. follow a healthy lifestyle and avoid estrogenic compounds - I use a brita filter but once it's filtered I transfer the water to a stainless steel gallon container that I drink out of all day. No soy. stretching, praying, reading the bible, sharing time with loving family daily on the phone, keeping in contact with friends despite covid lockdowns, playing video games, working and not stressing out, I definitely am living a good balanced healthy life at the moment as I recover.

I wrote this in hopes of showing people that they too can improve their testosterone levels without TRT. If I can do it while recovering from catastrophic illness, so can you.
Did you have your Cortisol and Thyroid levels checked? Can affect Testosterone levels.......

RonaldB

Sparrow
Caught one of your livestreams recently where people started joining the Pine Pollen Gang, so I got some of that Lost Empire brand tincture you were repping and have been using over the past couple of weeks. Strangely enough, the effect I've appreciated the most is the faster recovery from workouts. Feels like I'm a bit more resilient somehow, and that alone made it worth trying. I'll probably cycle through it for a while and see how things go.

Not a fan of the sublingual dosing and aftertaste (alcohol extraction), but if it works it works.
Did you keep using the pine pollen? How did it go? I'm doing some research on it and I'm almost convinced to try it but would like to know if your experience has been positive.