Increasing Testosterone Naturally With Supplements and Lifestyle (no TRT)

rainy

Pelican
Other Christian
I've been low carb, OMAD or a 2-3 window, meat, veggies and protein shakes for awhile now. Really starting to feel 10 years younger. My wife says I now look like I did in 2014 when we got married.

Taking zinc/magnesium/vit D daily, took tongkat ali and now replaced it with 6mg boron. I have the vit D and boron with coffee first thing and lift fasted. They say don't take boron on an empty stomach but I don't care. I'm not interrupting my 21 hour daily fasts.

I can feel my T has gone up substantially. And my energy. On days I don't lift/run I struggle sleeping. The intense ambition is also back. Like I'm 25 again.

fireshark

Kingfisher
Other Christian
I've been low carb, OMAD or a 2-3 window, meat, veggies and protein shakes for awhile now. Really starting to feel 10 years younger. My wife says I now look like I did in 2014 when we got married.

Taking zinc/magnesium/vit D daily, took tongkat ali and now replaced it with 6mg boron. I have the vit D and boron with coffee first thing and lift fasted. They say don't take boron on an empty stomach but I don't care. I'm not interrupting my 21 hour daily fasts.

I can feel my T has gone up substantially. And my energy. On days I don't lift/run I struggle sleeping. The intense ambition is also back. Like I'm 25 again.
Low carb / low sugar and intermittent fasting is probably the single greatest health and lifestyle improvement that most people can make generally speaking, without going deep into any rabbit holes or highly personalized plans.

Sanctus

Woodpecker
Protestant

I take a similar vitamin stack and I'd recommend shilajit, will do wonders for your sex drive among other things.

It_is_my_time

Crow
Protestant

I want to get back to intermittent fasting again, but I have two road blocks that you might help me with.

#1) I love working out in the morning. I am afraid if I try to lift and do explosive plyometrics in a fasted state my workouts will suffer and I will lose strength and explosive ability.

#2) Protein consumption. It would seem that if you consume all your protein in a small window that you will get less protein utilization.

There is so much great fitness advice that works for most people. But when it comes to lean guys it doesn't work as well. But I do feel better when I fast.

What are you thoughts/experiences with this? And anyone else who have faced these issues, I would love your input too.

Thank you!

It_is_my_time

Crow
Protestant
I want to get back to intermittent fasting again, but I have two road blocks that you might help me with.

#1) I love working out in the morning. I am afraid if I try to lift and do explosive plyometrics in a fasted state my workouts will suffer and I will lose strength and explosive ability.

#2) Protein consumption. It would seem that if you consume all your protein in a small window that you will get less protein utilization.

There is so much great fitness advice that works for most people. But when it comes to lean guys it doesn't work as well. But I do feel better when I fast.

What are you thoughts/experiences with this? And anyone else who have faced these issues, I would love your input too.

Thank you!
Doing some research I am going to try a 14-10 IF split. That will allow me to eat before I lift, and for 10 hours but still get a short fast in.

inthefade

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
Can anyone vouch for a good brand of Tongkat ali?
I've been using this one.

rainy

Pelican
Other Christian

I've been there before. Best option IMO would be to do intermittent fasting on days you don't do explosive workouts. Or, let you body adapt to no an intermittent schedule for a week, then see if it impacts your workouts.

My reason for OMAD right now is partly to cut, partly spiritual. I made a commitment to myself to suffer a little each day until I'm in top shape and have a successful online business. But previously having been in pretty good shape, I'd always have a protein shake post workout. I've never been the type to eat in the morning. So just a post workout shake and then holding off on solid foods until later in the day allowed me to build muscle while still feeling "light" during the day.

Another option would be to change your workout schedule and split them. Do the plyos in the late afternoon closer to an eating window. When I do some HIIT on the weekends I do it at 3-4PM.

For me personally my body adapted quickly to OMAD although some days I do get pretty hungry. But for the most part I start with a protein smoothie with 70g protein. Then have salami/cheese. Go out and BBQ meats/veggies. And by then I'm incredibly full. If not I might add something like an omelette or greek yogurt mixed with protein powder. I generally don't get any hunger signals until 16 hours fasted.

In my experience the key is allowing your body to transition away from using your recent meal for fuel. I honestly don't think your workouts would suffer if you did that. The post workout recovery probably would be tougher. Could always do an expanded window and eat from 12-8. That's still 8 hours on, 16 hours off. Nice compromise especially if you're already lean.

It_is_my_time

Crow
Protestant
I've been there before. Best option IMO would be to do intermittent fasting on days you don't do explosive workouts. Or, let you body adapt to no an intermittent schedule for a week, then see if it impacts your workouts.

My reason for OMAD right now is partly to cut, partly spiritual. I made a commitment to myself to suffer a little each day until I'm in top shape and have a successful online business. But previously having been in pretty good shape, I'd always have a protein shake post workout. I've never been the type to eat in the morning. So just a post workout shake and then holding off on solid foods until later in the day allowed me to build muscle while still feeling "light" during the day.

Another option would be to change your workout schedule and split them. Do the plyos in the late afternoon closer to an eating window. When I do some HIIT on the weekends I do it at 3-4PM.

For me personally my body adapted quickly to OMAD although some days I do get pretty hungry. But for the most part I start with a protein smoothie with 70g protein. Then have salami/cheese. Go out and BBQ meats/veggies. And by then I'm incredibly full. If not I might add something like an omelette or greek yogurt mixed with protein powder. I generally don't get any hunger signals until 16 hours fasted.

In my experience the key is allowing your body to transition away from using your recent meal for fuel. I honestly don't think your workouts would suffer if you did that. The post workout recovery probably would be tougher. Could always do an expanded window and eat from 12-8. That's still 8 hours on, 16 hours off. Nice compromise especially if you're already lean.
Thank you! I am looking very much forward to trying IF for 14-10.

Blade Runner

Hummingbird
Orthodox
I've been using this one.

Just anecdotal, but cycling this has seemingly done more for me (at least in the acute or energy phase of workouts from taking it beforehand) than the Huberman rec'd nigerian bark fadogia agrestis. It might work, I'm just subjectively not as convinced. But my T levels are pretty much the same since my early 30s (now past 40), mostly owing to diet and continuing to maintain strength with the big lifts. Losing energy over time is likely due to aging/senescence, as well as likely slightly higher levels of SHBG or just inefficiency of cellular and nervous action as you get older.

Stadtaffe

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Gold Member

He's onto it! When I'm focussed I do exactly the same, just not that much into the protein powder these days and have not yet tried boron. Would not knock the protein powder either, I used to do it and may go back to it one day but at the moment just add more protein rich food. One tip for a vitamin D source is fish liver oil.

Thank you!
Only thought is to have bulking and cutting phases, not expect your body to optimise for both simultaneously.

Have some quality low GI carbs before the workout like oats and a protein meal after, then don't eat again till the next day.

Brebelle3

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer

Good stuff brother. I was on IF with about a 5 hour eating window until about 4 months ago when my work became more physical.

I take D, zinc, magnesium, C, DHA, and tongkat. I am still in the gym 6 days per week and doing well, but since I started eating all day I feel lethargic constantly.

You've inspired me to get back into that small feeding window as I think that's where I need to be. My question is, when do you eat after your morning workout? My only option to workout right now is before 8am. If I eat after the workout then I'd be done eating by maybe 12pm and would have trouble sleeping when I turn in for bed around 8pm.

Would appreciate your insight and thanks again for the inspiration.

Edit: apologies if this post was repetitive as I replied to rainy before reading the subsequent posts. Seems like we're all thinking the same way.

Last edited:

IM3000

Pelican
Doing some research I am going to try a 14-10 IF split. That will allow me to eat before I lift, and for 10 hours but still get a short fast in.
I have been doing IF since forever and also often work out fastened. I don't keep a super strict eating window but it's something like 14-10. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less.

I work out 3-4/week (mostly compound lifts), play basketball 1-2 times/ week and run 1-2 times/ week. Also, I usually walk or cycle anywhere I need to go to unless it's raining cats and dogs. So I'd say that I'm pretty active in my free time. My job on the other hand is just sitting at a desk at home.
Working out, running or cycling fastened feels pretty good to me. Also remember that it takes a long time to digest food, so unless your gym sessions are super long, you will have enough fuel in the tank. There are some great episodes from the Huberman Lab Podcast on this.

I'm almost 40 and sometimes think that I'm overdoing it, but so far, this works our pretty well for me. I can still keep up with much younger guys on the basketball court. Naturally, I eat pretty healthy 95% of the time, drink very little alcohol and try to sleep min. 7 hours/night.

Philip Dru

Sparrow
Trad Catholic
Got this from amazon for $10. Take two 3mg tablets in the morning. Have to say it's my first time taking boron and I notice it more than I did tongkat ali. Boron really increases your free testosterone. Maybe that's why I really feel a difference.

I take 9mg daily for two weeks, which is at the upper recommended limit from what I've read.

Have not gotten my free T re-tested, but noticing a larger libido surge compared to anything else I've tried.