Insightful quotes

Johnnyvee

Ostrich
Other Christian
This couldn`t be more fitting for the times that we are in...

“...This is one of the most urgent problems for civilized man. He has created civilization to give himself security. Security for what? For boredom? His chief problem seems to be that most human beings need a certain amount of challenge, of external stimulus, to stop them from sinking into the blank stare and blank consciousness of the idiot..."

Colin Wilson

Garuda

Pelican
Protestant
This is a supplement to Dabney's treatise on conservatism.

Jünger:

FCEXHkLXIAENK-a.jpg

Spanish philosopher Jaime Balmes:

Ez7NFQ_WEAY7xAv.jpg

Max Roscoe

Hummingbird
Orthodox Inquirer
Man, I've been thinking about stuff like this a lot over the past couple of days. Had a one-on-one with God tonight in which I confessed having many doubts and questions, but still have faith in Him regardless. I think that's really all we can do with our limited human capacity to understand.
The way I view evil is that without evil, man cannot perceive good.

I don't see God as a grand chessmaster, killing a father here, giving a son leukemia there, but instead having created a flawed world which has natural mechanisms of both good and evil, and that's just how things play out.

And the way we can rejoice in life, be thankful for our health, and enjoy the beautiful things here are by contrasting them when we hear stories of others pain, strife, and suffering. Of course, it's much easier to simplify it that way when I've been mostly spared from a lot of suffering and pain personally, but I do think that's a good bird's eye view unemotional explanation of things.

Thankfully, I've lived a pretty blessed life but to put one thing in context that is a part of my struggle (along with many men here): The years of solitude and falling in regards to women will only make me appreciate and honor my future wife that much more one day.

Max Roscoe

Hummingbird
Orthodox Inquirer
Regarding most of the stories that are picked up in the media, I quote one of my favorite forum members, Leonard D Neubache (removed a few words to generalize the specific):

What would his guilt or innocence alter about the broader issue or the lives of anyone here?

Nobody here is going to be compelled to do one thing or the other regardless of what the details ... turn out to be.

He turns out to be innocent...

OK, now what?

He turns out to be [guilty].

OK, now what?

The media demands you take a stance on this, one way or another, because it puts you in opposition to people you will never speak to or even meet. They want you getting into fights with people on social media that achieve nothing but to foster spiritual dysfunction, because all of this at its root is about fostering spiritual dysfunction. Opening back doors to demonic infection.

The correct response to whether the [event] was justified or not is "I don't have a compelling reason to care, about this event or any of the other thousands of horrible things that happened on that particular day of the week, may God have mercy on the souls of everyone involved."

Make the decision to do what it takes to live somewhere where you don't need to put bars over the windows on your house. Then remove these silly dramas from your mind and your soul.

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
Regarding most of the stories that are picked up in the media, I quote one of my favorite forum members, Leonard D Neubache (removed a few words to generalize the specific):

What would his guilt or innocence alter about the broader issue or the lives of anyone here?

Nobody here is going to be compelled to do one thing or the other regardless of what the details ... turn out to be.

He turns out to be innocent...

OK, now what?

He turns out to be [guilty].

OK, now what?

The media demands you take a stance on this, one way or another, because it puts you in opposition to people you will never speak to or even meet. They want you getting into fights with people on social media that achieve nothing but to foster spiritual dysfunction, because all of this at its root is about fostering spiritual dysfunction. Opening back doors to demonic infection.

The correct response to whether the [event] was justified or not is "I don't have a compelling reason to care, about this event or any of the other thousands of horrible things that happened on that particular day of the week, may God have mercy on the souls of everyone involved."

Make the decision to do what it takes to live somewhere where you don't need to put bars over the windows on your house. Then remove these silly dramas from your mind and your soul.
This is a good point. I wondered why this made national news when it seems like a local story. I get why it would be a major event in the town, but why is it national news. The same goes for George Floyd, Michael Brown, etc...

The media cares more about profits than being responsible journalists. They love seeing America burn because the only thing they care about is ratings.

Stoyan

Banned
Orthodox
Here are some quotes about wisdom that I made up.

Basically I think that the main virtue that we should strive for, is wisdom. Not progress, tolerance, piety, productivity. These are just secondary or trietary issues. Wisdom is the primery virtue because it determines which other virtues are applicable in a certain situation. There is no single one size fits all principle for all situations. Wisdom examines each situation case by case to determine what is appropriate.

For example, the mentioned above quote from John Lennon, about not using violence. In some situations violence is indeed necessary, for example when you are dropped in the middle of a war zone. Similarly, in certain situations, progress, tolerance, piety, productivity either should be applied or should not be applied. They are not ends in and of themselves. Only wisdom is. Morality, the distinction between right and wrong, between virtue and sin, has to be based on wisdom. If it is not based on wisdom, it will be based on transient emotions only, which is where you go wrong.

I don't want to bash on Islam specifically, but to use it as an example, during the month of Ramadan, Muslims are forbidden to eat or drink from dawn to dusk. Well such a fast can be useful, until there is a famine in the land. You see what I mean? All principles are dependent on the situation. Wisdom determines whether a given principle should be applied in that situation or not.

Wisdom, not strength, is the only sure way to protect yourself.

Wisdom, not brute force and strength, are your true protectors and defenders.

Don't confuse wisdom and intellect.

You have the wisdom within yourself. You just need to pull it out.

Pray for wisdom and you will get it.

Wisdom is made of gold.

Wisdom is the combination of smart and clever, and understanding the world around them.

Proactive wisdom keeps pain from coming.

Every project in life takes time, effort, and wisdom.

The first and foremost key step to real wisdom in life is complete self-control.

Philosophy is the ultimate source of wisdom and knowledge how to live life.

All truth and wisdom is free and comes from the desire to acquire such.

True wisdom knowledge is absolutely free. Beware of those who try to sell it to you for a price.

Most things in life are purely questions of management, will power, and wisdom.

If you have wisdom, creativity, and discipline, then what can't you accomplish?

Wisdom is not something that comes to you in later life or not. It's a way of living your life right now.

It is a basic reality in this life: when we reject sound wisdom, we end up in destruction. Only wisdom keeps us safe.

Wisdom carries its own reward. Stupidity carries its own judgment.

All wisdom ultimately comes from God.

Don't go praying to God for help, if you consistently keep rejecting wisdom.

Ask me if you want me to elaborate on any of these points.

Last edited:

Stoyan

Banned
Orthodox
What is good, and what is true, are self-evident things. You do not need a beurocratic agency to tell you if this or that thing is good or true. What is good, and what is true, cannot be determined by some rationality, ideology, or logic. These things can be twisted around and make anything seem good or true at the first glance.

earam8778

Banned
Catholic
The problem is that the majority of the population cannot handle ideas and heavy thoughts. Which is why ideas are actually much more dangerous than most people think. And the perfect example for this some people enter college thinking one set of things and leave it complete degenerate nihilist who have no standards. Education is overrated and so are thoughts, especially for the vast majority. I agree with the quote tho