Internet privacy tip: Use DuckDuckGo

Blade Runner

Pelican
Will the new gab phone be something that most flock to? What messaging app is now considered reasonable given whatsapp's descent? If you have a phone number with signal or telegram can you disassociate that number and just use usernames? Thanks.

ralfy

Robin
Here's another process for privacy if more functionality is needed (i.e., you need to log in or visit some sites to view videos, etc.):

Use hardened Firefox:

probably with a non-tracking or open-source speed dial so that you won't need to load the new page.

or Icecat Weasel, which has to be compiled by others for Windows users:

then add Multi-Account Containers, Cookie Auto Delete, uBlock Origin, and other addons:

Set Cookie Auto Delete to delete everything except whitelisted cookies need for logins, create permanent containers to lock in various websites, like Facebook, banks, stores, etc., set the rule to automatically open these sites only in their assigned containers, then use any fake accounts for Google (linked to Youtube, Gmail, etc.) for any containers if needed.

If you have a personal or business Google account, you can open that in another browser like Iridium.

That way, any site will be opened in isolation from others, or else any tracking information they get will involve your fake accounts.

Blade Runner

Pelican
Will a new more trustworthy or secure phone still be based on some old version of android? That's what I've seen from that gab phone. Is that because it was open source a long time ago?

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Will the new gab phone be something that most flock to? What messaging app is now considered reasonable given whatsapp's descent? If you have a phone number with signal or telegram can you disassociate that number and just use usernames? Thanks.

Element.io is the largest open network and does not require phone or email.

For Telegram, there is a setting that allows you to block anyone finding you by your number. It would probably be best to not use a username, because it could be harvested by someone probing usernames. I think it's also a good idea to delete your profile photo.

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Presearch (a decentralised search engine) launched its main net a few days ago.

It's ETH token (PRE) had a market cap of $250,000 a year ago, despite having one of the most visited crypto sites on the internet. It's now at a $33M cap. My first 100X plus change. It's also only listed on a few exchanges. I expect more, like Binance, to pick it up this year and for it to head to a $100M cap.

According to Similar Web and Alexa, it probably gets towards 300-400K visitors per day.

They are running at 1 million queries per day:

Which is where DDG was in mid-2012:

iu

Presearch is actually ahead of DDG in search growth, based on the date of founding.

You can set it up as your default search engine via the toolbar (with this URL https://www.presearch.org/extsearch?term=%s) or the plugin. This gives you 0.25 PRE per search, which is currently 2 cents. Searches made by the HTML interface do not count. That also requires an account and is limited to 8 PRE per day, which is $0.67 per day at the current rate.

The search results are very good - better than DDG IMO, with a better interface. The video and news results are also better.

Currently it uses external sources to provide the results. I am not sure what exactly as the results do not resemble Google or Yahoo. By 2021 they aim to be layering in results using their own index. Currently results are provided by decentralised nodes. You can set you own node up and stake 1,000+ PRE in it to receive rewards. Nodes are low on resource usage.

redbeard

Hummingbird

It's ETH token (PRE) had a market cap of $250,000 a year ago, despite having one of the most visited crypto sites on the internet. It's now at a $33M cap. My first 100X plus change. It's also only listed on a few exchanges. I expect more, like Binance, to pick it up this year and for it to head to a $100M cap.

According to Similar Web and Alexa, it probably gets towards 300-400K visitors per day.

iu

Presearch is actually ahead of DDG in search growth, based on the date of founding.

You can set it up as your default search engine via the toolbar (with this URL https://www.presearch.org/extsearch?term=%s) or the plugin. This gives you 0.25 PRE per search, which is currently 2 cents. Searches made by the HTML interface do not count. That also requires an account and is limited to 8 PRE per day, which is $0.67 per day at the current rate.

The search results are very good - better than DDG IMO, with a better interface. The video and news results are also better.

Currently it uses external sources to provide the results. I am not sure what exactly as the results do not resemble Google or Yahoo. By 2021 they aim to be layering in results using their own index. Currently results are provided by decentralised nodes. You can set you own node up and stake 1,000+ PRE in it to receive rewards. Nodes are low on resource usage.
How is the search engine on privacy? Are there any ways to sell PRE for BTC without KYC?

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
How is the search engine on privacy? Are there any ways to sell PRE for BTC without KYC?

They claim it has good privacy and the CEO has put out videos very critical of The CIA etc.

Here is a video describing the system. Looks good.

I am going to setup a node, so will be able to look at what data nodes could collect.

You can buy tokens from them with BTC,

Not sure what data they may collect.

Otherwise, mint WBTC with BTC, swap for ETH, buy PRE with ETH on Uniswap.

I think the price will come down a bit soon.

Bird

Kingfisher
Today I used Presearch for the first time.
My search string was
linux Qt5Core Qt5Gui Qt5Widgets Qt5DBus
and the results were not satisfying to me, but DDG did the job.

aynrus

Kingfisher

iu

Presearch results seem to resemble google....they might simply run permutation on the links.
I tested it against Goolge and DDG with non-PC stuff and DDG gave me least filtered results. Presearch appeared more sanitized...

Searx has been a great open sourced and free search tool; I've made it my primary search tool by default. I just one one of the public instances but we can also download the code and install it onto a server.
What's best is that we can choose what engines to pull from, while still maintaining anonymity.

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Searx has been a great open sourced and free search tool; I've made it my primary search tool by default. I just one one of the public instances but we can also download the code and install it onto a server.
What's best is that we can choose what engines to pull from, while still maintaining anonymity.

I have stopped using it as often instances get blocked and you are left with zero results. The image search has issues in particular. I guess the best option is t set up your own, but if it gets hit with a captcha then there are no results.

They could integrate a captcha inputting API, so if there are ever any captchas they are pawned off to India to be types in.

I have stopped using it as often instances get blocked and you are left with zero results. The image search has issues in particular. I guess the best option is t set up your own, but if it gets hit with a captcha then there are no results.

They could integrate a captcha inputting API, so if there are ever any captchas they are pawned off to India to be types in.
Haven't had that issue yet. Try messing with the preferences on the top right link (engines/plugins section).

Bird

Kingfisher
Try messing with the preferences on the top right link (engines/plugins section).

Unfortunately, the preferences saved as URL disappear after deleting the cookies and the search engine is back in default settings.

This is a pity, because especially with certain personal preferences good results can be achieved, but it is tedious to have to make these preferences again after each browser restart / deletion of cookies,
so this little issue needs to be fixed.

BeefStew

Pigeon
Not sure how I feel about duckduckgo. To allegedly pay their bills they have an affiliate model incorporated with their search.

Similarly, we may add an affiliate code to some eCommerce sites (e.g. Amazon & eBay) that results in small commissions being paid back to DuckDuckGo when you make purchases at those sites. We do not use any third parties to do the code insertion, and we do not work with any sites that share personally identifiable information (e.g. name, address, etc.) via their affiliate programs. This means that no information is shared from DuckDuckGo to the sites, and the only information that is collected from this process is product information, which is not tied to any particular user and which we do not save or store on our end. It is completely analogous to the search result case from the previous paragraph--we can see anonymous product info such that we cannot tie them to any particular person (or even tie multiple purchases together). This whole affiliate process is an attempt to keep advertising to a minimal level on DuckDuckGo.
The negative implication of this being they might be skewing the search results to return more Amazon, Ebay, etc listings than Google or others. For small businesses, this isn't a good thing.

In recent years, I've noticed Google's search results have become increasingly more "corporate", seemingly now favoring big companies and corporations over smaller-run websites, and they've been doing so at a detriment to quality and relevancy.

So anything that also might go in that direction I'd be against.