Internet privacy tip: Use DuckDuckGo

budoslavic

Owl
Gold Member
Recently, I switched over to Webcrawler & iSeek search engines because I am skeptical of (((DuckDuckGo))). I had totally forgotten about
Webcrawler, which I used often back in the mid-1990's when it was popular during the internet craze.

Edit. Also, Mojeek and Metager are the other search engines that I've been playing around with.

If anyone's wondering why I'm skeptical of (((DDG))), this part concerned me:

History of Duck Duck Go search

In researching the background DuckDuckGo, I uncovered some interesting history. The founder of DDG, Gabriel Weinberg, was also behind a social network called Names Database, which collected the real names and addresses of its users. He then sold Names Database (and all the user data) to Classmates.com for “approximately $10 million in cash” in March 2006.

DuckDuckGo was launched a few years later, in 2008 and was branded as a privacy search engine. It rose to popularity in 2013 following the Snowden revelations. DuckDuckGo remains one of the most popular private search engines to date and is well-regarded in the privacy community.

Jurisdiction: United States (runs on Amazon servers in the US!)

Source

Last edited:

ralfy

Robin
It's possible that various companies will have to track you themselves or look for various ways to monetize your activities in order to pay for costs. The implication is that nothing is free, and if it is, it might not last if costs aren't covered.

Given that, some suggest using different browsers for different services (e.g., one for Google and one for Facebook) with default settings. If that's too tedious or might be annoying because browser window size can't be customized or ads appear, here's one of several ways to partially follow that:

In short, Firefox with about:config tweaks to disable most telemetry.

The addon Multi-Account Containers can separate not all but most browser data, set to load each social media, store, or multipurpose platform in its own container. For example, one container for Facebook, one for Amazon, and one for each throwaway Google account.

The personal or business Google account may be loaded in a new profile (using addons like Profile Switcher for Firefox) or another browser like Iridium.

CookieAutoDelete is installed and set to erase all cookies except those needed for functionality, such as for logging in or maintaining settings.

Any other addon may be included, like uBlock Origin in default settings, etc.

With that scheme, users will still be tracked, but hopefully not as much across sites, and involving throwaway accounts. That is, when one visits a site using a default container and that loads embedded videos from, say, Youtube, Google will be tracking activities only of the Google account logged in that container. If it loads elements from Facebook, Facebook will only know the activities of someone not logged in Facebook. (Your Facebook account is logged in in another container.)

Bird

Kingfisher
Recently, I switched over to Webcrawler & iSeek search engines

Both do not like Tor browser

Webcrawler

Bildschirmfoto-zu-2021-04-08-12-28-39.png

iseek

Bildschirmfoto-zu-2021-04-08-12-29-05.png

Also, Mojeek and Metager are the other search engines that I've been playing around with

www.mojeek.com/search?q=linux+Qt5Core+Qt5Gui+Qt5Widgets+Qt5DBus

Does not give the good answers.
With DDG you will get a website saying "sudo apt install qt5-default" which is the perfect response.

www.metager.org/meta/meta.ger3?eingabe=linux%2BQt5Core%2BQt5Gui%2BQt5Widgets%2BQt5DBus

Very poor response, shows three linux based websites only, but it catches this thread.

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
All of the alternatives to Google have issues.

Mojeek has terrible results.
Startpage is a basic version of Google with poor interface and I believe was bought out be an Israeli outfit, or the new owners have been criticised.
Searx instances often get blocked from where they scrape results; and there isn't a good way to import your settings across instances
DuckDuckGo is essentially repackaged Bing

Currently, I use Presearch:

It is decentralised:

and the CEO has about as good privacy credentials as Torba, if not better:

Results could be improved and are occasionally poor.

budoslavic

Owl
Gold Member

Also, pay attention to (((DDG)))'s past donations to several Left-wing political causes (i.e. - ACLU, Riseups Lab, Demand Progress, etc.). This tells me (((they))) support Left-wing groups that are anti-Christian & anti-American.

Last edited:

budoslavic

Owl
Gold Member

Why You Should Avoid DuckDuckGo (DDG) 2021 Edition, Now Microsoft-Hosted and With Extra Privacy Risks​

Nefarious History of DDG founder & CEO:

-DDG’s founder (Gabriel Weinberg) has a history of privacy abuse, starting with his founding of Names DB, a surveillance capitalist service designed to coerce naive users to submit sensitive information about their friends. (2006)

-Weinberg’s motivation for creating DDG was not actually to “spread privacy”; it was to create something big, something that would compete with big players, according to an interview between Weinberg and Susan Adams. As a privacy abuser during the conception of DDG (Names Database), Weinberg sought to become a big-name legacy. Privacy is Weinberg’s means (not ends) in that endeavor. Clearly he doesn’t value privacy — he values perception of privacy.

DDG’s third violation (2021): Microsoft hosts DDG’s service and also supplies Bing search results for the same transaction. This means Microsoft sees both sides of the transaction and can link your IP address (i.e. identity) to your search query that Bing processes. DDG makes this false statement: “we never share any personal information with any of our partners. The way it works is when we call a partner for information, it is proxied through our servers so it stays completely anonymous. That is, any call to a partner looks to the partner as it is from us and not the user itself, and no user personal information is passed in that process (e.g. their IP address). That way we can build our search result pages using these 100s of partner sources, while still keeping them completely anonymous to you (emphasis added). While it may be true that DDG doesn’t transmit users’ IP addresses to Microsoft, Microsoft has already seen users’ IP addresses via Azure. That combination of data given to Microsoft makes DDG’s statement a lie. The MS Azure privacy policy refers us to the general MS privacy policy, which confirms that Microsoft collects IP addresses.

DDG attempts to play both sides of the network neutrality fight. DDG donated $50k (as of 2020) to an opponent of net neutrality who ironically calls themselves “TechFreedom”. Then DDG also donated $50k to an opponent of TechFreedom, “Public Knowledge”, who actually calls for “NO rules preventing blocking of website”, yet Public Knowledge blocks Tor users from their own website by issuing a “403 forbidden” error. Public Knowledge intends to coach Congress on “How Interoperability Can Rein In Big Tech”, yet they themselves have broken interoperability with Tor as they make themselves electronically unreachable outside of Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, and Gmail.

DDG also donated over $186k to a series of privacy-abusing CloudFlare sites run by “Demand Progress”, “Fight for the Future”, and “Access Now”. Despite getting nearly $70k from DDG, FFTF continues to expose their own patrons to the very evil they claim to be fighting. Demand Progress, who received $100k from DDG, posts their claim to “contest concentrated corporate power” directly on their CloudFlare site, as well as the claim that they educate people on “the impacts of corporate power over our economy and democracy” as they “confront corporate bad actors”, all of which is bluntly unaligned with their CloudFlare patronage. Access Now, who received $16k from DDG, also used CloudFlare to block Tor users, hypocritically acting against their own mission to “fight for a free and open internet, advocating for the Net Neutrality principle that internet access should be offered to everyone on a nondiscriminatory basis, without favoring certain websites, applications, or services.” DDG apparently does little inspection on those they donate to, as if they’re merely selecting recipients with names that promote their privacy propaganda strategy to boost user loyalty.

DDG feeds privacy-abuser Microsoft by patronizing the Bing API for search results, using Microsoft’s ad network, using Outlook email service, hiring Microsoft to host DDG’s search site and host DDG’s crawler.

Edit. Also, this is interesting.

Last edited:

Mr Moorii

Chicken
The best answer is a metasearch: https://searx.me/ it is the one I found it is pretty useful, basically it retrieves results from different search engines, but your search do not feed the beast, instead it takes other resources to access for you, so you can see several results at once from different search engines, on top of that, you can customize your research to a higher degree of any traditional search engine.