Is anyone importing/selling/dropshipping products on Amazon as a side hustle?

nicolahcm

Sparrow
How are things working?

I see already too many people doing the dropshipping or amazon fba. Also a lot of new courses for thousands of euros (not going to buy any).

Guess it's tough starting now, but I am sure if done properly there could be still something to gain.

Anyways the risk is very minimal compared to opening other kind of businesses. At most I could risk 10.000 euros. Even if I would lose it I think it would be worth trying and figuring out other jobs.

I have a cousine who works in China. I could think about learning chinese and being an intermediator between english/italian business and suppliers. Could build a business around that.

flaghunter

Sparrow
Great thread, been listening to TAS podcast the past few days (now called Rock Your Brand) so can try to summarise 10 hours or so of them if there is still interest?

Is there an updated thread here (or even useful blog post elsewhere) more related to the current market climate?

he tries to stay away from physical product - as there is always the problem of dodgy "trader" suppliers that may or may not deliver quality product - If you are selling the product attached to your name and business most states hold you responsible for merchantability and fitness implied warranties and the last thing you need is a fraud lawsuit from your States Attorney General around your neck.

How does one sell a product not attached to their name or business?

On this subject - how does one deal with taxes when selling on Amazon?
Is there a threshold a seller must reach before having to deal with them?

magaman

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
I've been looking into starting Amazon FBA once I get a little more money saved up. How's it looking these days?

Max Roscoe

Hummingbird
Orthodox Inquirer
Just tried to sell a few things on ebay. I've had an account for probably 15 years but ran in to some problems trying to list an item for sale. They have a new policy as of January 2022.

They first wanted me to confirm my phone # with a text message.
That troubled me, but I found an online SMS verification tool that worked for that.

Then they wanted my date of birth and Social Security number.
That didn't seem like a good idea at all.

I figured I would just give them some random numbers and then close my account for good after the sale.
But in the final step they asked for my BANK ACCOUNT number. You cannot use paypal anymore (as bad as that was, still preferable to giving ebay my bank account). No way around that one.

Wow, what a horrible, crappy police state this society has come.
You can't even sell a few odds and ends around the house for an extra few dollars without giving all your private information.
Oh, and not only do they charge sales tax to buyers for used items that were already taxed, but they are also going to tax the *seller* for the *same transactions* and hit them up with income tax at the end of the year.

What a racket!
Is Amazon an option for selling used but working computer and electronics items?
It looked like I had to pay a fee to become a seller there, and I'm not sure used items are allowed.