Is it time to jump ship as things won't return to normal until late 2021?

John

We far from live in the 'worst' time in history
I disagree. De-evolution, not evolution, is the defining feature of our collective trajectory. Consequently, we are living in worse times now simply because our connection to God is increasingly distant, and we are becoming increasingly more animal-like. This is supported from a biblical perspective: Adam and Eve fell from the Garden of Eden down to earth, where they became animal-like, and with each generation had shorter and shorter lives. The biblical trajectory of de-evolution from God-like beings down to animals is in direct opposition with the modern idea of "progress" towards a godless humanistic utopia.

Connection to God is the ultimate litmus test for a satisfying life. Animal comforts such as a large food supply, housing, heating, etc... are only valuable to our animal bodies, but do not correlate to increased closeness to God. On the contrary, we can easily observe in the modern world how the devil uses modern luxuries to mold us.

Let's take a catastropic event like the Black Plague as an example of worse times in the animal sense, but better times in the spiritual sense. The Black Plague killed large portions of Europe. You'd wake up one day and half your village would be dying, and there'd be nothing you could do about it. Yet the afflicted societies survived throughout the entire ordeal. When the plague finally ended they were able to rebuild everything. This type of endurance would be completely impossible today. We have de-evolved too far down to animals and too far away from God to collectively endure a mass catastrophe. Even though the Black Plague was objectively worse from an animal perspective, the endurance of people during those times shows clearly their spiritual superiority to modern man.

Salinger

Woodpecker
I fully expect "expatting" to return to the place it had in the 1950s. Only the well off, the connected, and the highly skilled will be able to do it from now on...
You are envisioning some kind of worst case scenario where Americans are locked in and aren't allowed to travel anywhere. That sounds absurd to me.

And why would you need to be highly skilled to be able to travel from country to country?

You are envisioning some kind of worst case scenario where Americans are locked in and aren't allowed to travel anywhere. That sounds absurd to me.

And why would you need to be highly skilled to be able to travel from country to country?
i think he means people that have acheived location independence. like a person that codes for a living and works remotely as opposed to the typical esl teacher.

LeoniusD

Woodpecker
Two things here.

Firstly, where exactly are you going to go? I was quick enough to order and receive my passport around 60 days before the whole thing started, thinking I was smart and ahead of the game. Too bad at the current moment, it's literally largely useless. Your passport isn't worth shit anymore.

View attachment 25163

Look at that map, it's literally the entire world at the moment. The only places people are going right now are not really where you want to anyway.

Mexico is a de-facto narco state. Ecuador is a third-world country. Ireland & UK are collapsing dumpster fires.

I am currently located near Tampa, FL and i've come to one single conclusion. I'm in my early 20s and this whole situation has motivated me harder than any of the knocks I've ever received in my life. Now is NOT the time to try and make your move. It's the time to double down on your work, literally do twice the amount of work you'd normally do, and weather through the storm.

Eventually, they will release the restrictions despite some panic I've seen here saying it will never happen. Granted, I expect things not to return to normal for 1-3 years at least.

Secondly, if you already had plans to Expat abroad, you should have pulled the trigger before this happened. I am still planning on transferring via my company to a position in Singapore in a couple years, even though I SHOULD HAVE pulled the trigger last year.

This is a wake up call. You do NOT want to be stuck in the third world, and if you get stuck in Asia, you better have some sort of permanent foundation that is stronger than a tourist visa. In a few years, Asia is going to be kicking out most of the backpacker and ESL crowd.

Thailand already used this chance to do just that. Not long until Vietnam does the same.

I fully expect "expatting" to return to the place it had in the 1950s. Only the well off, the connected, and the highly skilled will be able to do it from now on. If you're aren't abroad already, you're better off putting your head down and getting serious at home.
The map is misleading.

There are a few countries in the world that are relatively free, even if some have a 14 day quarantine at entry, but then everything maskless as normal:

1) Iceland
2) Sweden
3) Japan - all measures voluntary
3) Belarus - this country however has visa requirements and they have an attempted color revolution happening, so it's lousy

There are also a few African countries which have even recommendations by their leaders to not wear masks and continue as normal.

Otherwise it's a worldwide operation for sure with few actual pockets of freedom.

This is the silver lining and what I've been suspecting will be the case. It will take much greater planning, savvy, or energy to access various places. But know what? That makes it better for the people that actually pull it off. Think of it as a reversion to Medellin 2010, not 2018. :sneaky:
Definitely true. I am an expat and, aside from not being able to leave my country of residence, the COVID restrictions have largely been positive. The tourists are gone. The number of migrants is still too high but is at least no longer increasing. Domestic travel costs are down. As far as domestic travel, this is probably the best opportunity in a generation.

How absurd does it sound that the entire world was shut down for a flu virus? Very, but this is the timeline I'm living in. How long until the next flu virus shows up? Maybe Immediately after this one "passes'?

There are a few countries that don't have the restrictions. I still don't think moving right now is a smart idea. Anywhere that isn't third world is going to require additional effort and time to move. For some people that's going to be worth it. I explained that in the future I too am planning to eventually move myself.

You don't need to be skilled whatsoever to travel anywhere. You don't need any skills to move to Peru. Someone here posted Japan and said the measures are voluntary, and that's true. But to move anywhere first world you're going to have to compete now.

Being a digital nomad, moving out of your country, all those things are still possible. They're not going to be made impossible by me saying so. But they will become more difficult.

I think the elites used the whole migrant crisis in 2015, as well as this virus and "environmental safety" reasons for dialing down on travel. Need to reign the sheeple in, and we can simply keep the economy afloat by letting the Business Class, international briefcase club continue to fly.

Last edited:

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
Depending on my situation I might take a break from Canada for Winter.

I love Colombia which was my place, but the people are up in arms over all this. I agree with above comment, if expats are down in Medellin, or at least the backpacker tourists and sex tourists, that will make Medellin a whole lot more enjoyable.

- Uruguay looks pretty nice on the map.
- Mexico is a big country so hopefully there is a place.

I work with someone from Medellin, she says Colombia is under strict lockdown, curfews and its almost impossible to get a flight in and out of the country. She tried booking multiple flights for a family member to Medellin, all reservations were made and eventually cancelled saying no refunds so be careful. I think Mexico is the far better option, if Jeff Berwick is to be believed they are accepting international travellers now and regardless of any government mandates it is generally unmasked and normal there. Always book flights with a credit card so you can do charge backs if the airlines try to pull any funny business.

ginsu

Robin
Why would you willingly deliver yourself into a country that just re-opened from severe lockdowns ?. Its playing with fire, those governments and local populations have shown their hand and what they are inclined to respond like. It might be that they will not have any further lockdowns because that would just be suicide but you never know. If they where crazy enough to kill their economy the first time around of a nothing virus then they might just do it again while you are spending time there.

bucky

Pelican
The countries in red are ones who currently have or previously had Coronavirus-related restrictions.
My understanding is that you have to quarantine for two weeks on arrival if you want to go to Ukraine. Maybe it would be worth it if you really want to go to Ukraine permanently, not just to vacation. There must be other countries like that.

I'm in the camp that thinks this will never really be over, so I say go for it if you want to get out of the US.

Amwolf

Pigeon
Depending on my situation I might take a break from Canada for Winter.

I love Colombia which was my place, but the people are up in arms over all this. I agree with above comment, if expats are down in Medellin, or at least the backpacker tourists and sex tourists, that will make Medellin a whole lot more enjoyable.
Colombia is an intriguing country and one that I'd have interest in visiting, but if I were to go south, it would be Panama to incorporate my business in order to receive another passport, or deep into the Andes for continued off the grid living.

The map is misleading.

There are a few countries in the world that are relatively free, even if some have a 14 day quarantine at entry, but then everything maskless as normal:

1) Iceland
2) Sweden
3) Japan - all measures voluntary
3) Belarus - this country however has visa requirements and they have an attempted color revolution happening, so it's lousy

There are also a few African countries which have even recommendations by their leaders to not wear masks and continue as normal.

Otherwise it's a worldwide operation for sure with few actual pockets of freedom.
In Japan the 14 day quarantine applies to people with visas (employees, exchange students, etc.). Tourists are still banned. And masks may be voluntary in general but in practice you will be barred from most larger stores, gyms, public buildings, etc. if you are not wearing a mask.

Amwolf

Pigeon
I work with someone from Medellin, she says Colombia is under strict lockdown, curfews and its almost impossible to get a flight in and out of the country.
Thanks for the insight. I've heard similar horror stories about the lockdowns in Columbia. Nonetheless, I'm more interested in Slavic countries as the nature of my business caters to supporting traditionalist and nationalist movements in addition to being an Orthodox Christian.

Amwolf

Pigeon
In Japan the 14 day quarantine applies to people with visas (employees, exchange students, etc.). Tourists are still banned. And masks may be voluntary in general but in practice you will be barred from most larger stores, gyms, public buildings, etc. if you are not wearing a mask.
Do you have any insight to where Japan is heading into next year, especially surrounding the Olympics? I'd like to return to Japan, especially if I'm already in Eurasia for a while.

Amwolf

Pigeon
I'm in the camp that thinks this will never really be over, so I say go for it if you want to get out of the US.
Unfortunately, you're probably right. I believe that things will worsen -- at least when it comes to the draconian nature of this "pandemic". Why wouldn't it...we've already witnessed the greatest transfer of wealth in history as the top 12 billionaires have profited nearly $1.25 trillion and the top five US-billionaires, who are all ardent globalists, profited hundreds of millions since spring. And as we've witnessed over the last couple of months, the power grab has intensified. They won't quit until total domination and submission of their opposition has been achieved.

Last edited:

Amwolf

Pigeon
You don't need to be skilled whatsoever to travel anywhere. You don't need any skills to move to Peru. Someone here posted Japan and said the measures are voluntary, and that's true. But to move anywhere first world you're going to have to compete now.

Being a digital nomad, moving out of your country, all those things are still possible. They're not going to be made impossible by me saying so. But they will become more difficult.
I agree that this type of lifestyle is still possible -- especially for those who can adapt, are experienced, and have keen situational awareness. I've lived an off the grid and nomadic lifestyle as a survivalist in some of the most remote parts of North America for nearly five years. I've also spent considerable amount of time abroad for professional and personal endeavors, with nothing more than a well-equipped backpack. Traversing between an alpine zone, conflict zone, and urban zone at the drop of a hat comes naturally for me. I suppose that it's a mindset of adaptability.

Do you have any insight to where Japan is heading into next year, especially surrounding the Olympics? I'd like to return to Japan, especially if I'm already in Eurasia for a while.
We are still far away from tourists being allowed into Japan (or most parts of Asia). Until recently, even foreign residents had been banned from returning if they left Japan. Authorities are still saying they plan to hold the Olympics next summer but they were saying the same things up until the day they cancelled it this summer. I'd be surprised. It is hard to imagine returning to the days when Japan had nearly 30 million tourists every year, making Tokyo, Kyoto, etc. intolerable.

The stats show COVID is basically the flu but at this point governments are so committed to treating it like a new Bubonic Plague that I can't see them letting in foreigners without clean COVID tests, quarantines and/or certification of vaccination.

Blade Runner

Kingfisher
Thanks for the insight. I've heard similar horror stories about the lockdowns in Columbia. Nonetheless, I'm more interested in Slavic countries as the nature of my business caters to supporting traditionalist and nationalist movements in addition to being an Orthodox Christian.
It's funny as these are what I'm torn between. There is almost no presence of the orthodox church in central and south america outside of Mexico and perhaps Guatemala. Knowing spanish language is also a lot easier and navigable, but I guess if you are interested there will be a way. I always wondered if that made Romania perhaps the best of all worlds ... the slavic/romance language hybrid (and orthodox of course).

Amwolf

Pigeon
I can't see them letting in foreigners without clean COVID tests, quarantines and/or certification of vaccination.
This is what I find deeply troublesome. While traveling now might be cheaper than ever, even experienced adventurers are going to run into some significant problems if COVID-related credentials become the norm. The thought of traveling under such restrictions and hassles is an enormous turn off for me. It's wonderful that there will be far-less people traveling in the foreseeable future, especially annoying tourists, but we're in for one hell of a fight against the abuse of power that has emerged under this "pandemic".

Amwolf

Pigeon
It's funny as these are what I'm torn between. There is almost no presence of the orthodox church in central and south america outside of Mexico and perhaps Guatemala. Knowing spanish language is also a lot easier and navigable, but I guess if you are interested there will be a way. I always wondered if that made Romania perhaps the best of all worlds ... the slavic/romance language hybrid (and orthodox of course).
Surprisingly, there are some Orthodox churches in Brazil, but they're extremely rare.