Is smoking a sin?

bucky

Ostrich
Marijuana probably deserves its own thread, but I am of the opinion that it has some medicinal properties.
I don't think anyone loathes weed and the culture around its recreational use more than me, but yeah, when my wife's grandmother was dying of cancer it seemed to me that medical marijuana would have helped a lot in those last months when she was suffering horribly. Not available in her country, though.

Philonous

Sparrow
I wouldn't count on vaping not being as bad or worse than smoking. Look up ethylene glycol & vaping. They could put anything in the stuff & almost certainly do. After all who's going to hold them to account, they own the various regulatory agencies & control the governments of the world. By "they" I mean the (((millionaires))) that own all of the corporations, banks & everything of any importance.
Well, I may have already purchased all my vaping products for life. When the feds started imposing restrictions on getting the oils wholesale last year, I bought a gallon of the stuff and about a pint of different flavorings. And so by the time I finish all of this I may be willing to give up vaping.

Or maybe just switch to a regular tobacco pipe.

I don’t regret it, however. I live in an apartment, and we now live in a society where you can get kicked out of an apartment community for smoking tobacco products. Go ahead and rape a woman on a subway and no one cares—have sex with everyone in your apartment complex when you already have HIV, the law looks away—but irritate someone down the hall with tobacco smoke and the legal system is regularly to tar and feather you.

DeWoken

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
I live in an apartment, and we now live in a society where you can get kicked out of an apartment community for smoking tobacco products.

So move. You do know that the Great Reset type actions will be stronger in cities, right?

I do not own one but I hear there are types of HEPA filters you can get, similar to dehumidifiers, that allow you to smoke indoors.

Philonous

Sparrow
So move. You do know that the Great Reset type actions will be stronger in cities, right?

I do not own one but I hear there are types of HEPA filters you can get, similar to dehumidifiers, that allow you to smoke indoors.
I would, but I’m otherwise unbelievably content here. I mean, I probably could smoke—one of the 2 landlords smokes all the time, and I get along very well with both of them.

I mean, I know what you’re saying—Great Reset affecting the cities more than the rural areas. But I’m sort of right on the threshold between the two up here in central Pennsylvania. Say anything more than that and I’ll probably be giving away my location.

I am in a mixed race neighborhood, but I’m very near to an Orthodox church—it’s right across the street from me. It has a very subduing effect on the the persons who live in this area. A mostly harmonizing effect, albeit with exceptions here and there.

I’m originally from Baltimore. Baltimore is a shithole. It now hates white people like me. Seems to hate Christians, too. And I have every expectation Baltimore will eventually get absorbed into a sort of conglomerate of central Maryland counties surrounding DC, and everyone therein will have to take monthly vaccinations and be on some digitized social credit system. I pity people I knew from high school who are stuck back there.

But not every semi-metropolitan part of the country is like that. A lot are, but a lot aren’t—and I’m in one that isn’t.

DeWoken

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
I am in a mixed race neighborhood, but I’m very near to an Orthodox church—it’s right across the street from me. It has a very subduing effect on the the persons who live in this area. A mostly harmonizing effect, albeit with exceptions here and there.
Being part of a good church is important. I wish I had that.

Worth mentioning is snus, a tobacco product that is smokeless and studies seem to indicate it is on the less-harmful end of the spectrum.

A question I've been meaning to throw out there is: is it worse to be addicted to tobacco or to be a coomer? Tobacco helps me deal with difficult moments.

Lawrence87

Woodpecker
Orthodox
I believe marijuana also makes one a retard.

I used to be a heavy marijuana user (prior to becoming a Christian)

It's a really insidious addiction because it will not overtly wreck your life like heroin would, but it just stiffles it in low key ways.

It made me retarded in lots of ways. From the ways in which I'd justify it; "I'm using it to sleep at night" or "I'm using it spiritually maaan" to the way it would make me lose motivation completely. I was just in a twilight zone all the time, drifting along and incapable of decisive action.

I'm living the effects of that now. All those poor decisions or moments of inaction that come from being a "stoner" really add up. People who smoke weed all the time and act like it's cool or beneficial are retarded

bucky

Ostrich
I used to be a heavy marijuana user (prior to becoming a Christian)

It's a really insidious addiction because it will not overtly wreck your life like heroin would, but it just stiffles it in low key ways.

It made me retarded in lots of ways. From the ways in which I'd justify it; "I'm using it to sleep at night" or "I'm using it spiritually maaan" to the way it would make me lose motivation completely. I was just in a twilight zone all the time, drifting along and incapable of decisive action.

I'm living the effects of that now. All those poor decisions or moments of inaction that come from being a "stoner" really add up. People who smoke weed all the time and act like it's cool or beneficial are retarded
The fact that you can admit this as a former pothead shows that you've made huge progress. There's this general popular idea nowadays that marijuana is no big deal, but anyone who questions that it's an insidious addiction need look no further than the reasons you just stated. Or, try telling a pothead that smoking weed isn't a good idea and witness the blind rage and ludicrous rationalizations that ensue. It's indistinguishable from the reaction you get if you try to talk an alcoholic out of drinking.

Philonous

Sparrow
Being part of a good church is important. I wish I had that.

Worth mentioning is snus, a tobacco product that is smokeless and studies seem to indicate it is on the less-harmful end of the spectrum.

A question I've been meaning to throw out there is: is it worse to be addicted to tobacco or to be a coomer? Tobacco helps me deal with difficult moments.
There was a joke some black stand-up comedian made a decade or two ago—talking about the high rate of black-on-black murder—he said, “If you really feel like killing some other guy, go beat off and see if you still feel like doing it.”

Yet most men who commit murder probably do fap a lot. They “get off” on allowing themselves to be controlled by their own vagrant energies, and the impulse to molest someone (or perhaps be molested oneself—perhaps have a joint molestation) is just as much a vagrant energy as the impulse to commit murder. Just as much an uncontrolled force.

In contrast, if you smoke a half pack of cigs a day, then that’s what you smoke. It’s something you do to give your daily life an orderly diversion. Changing that to a full pack, and then 2 packs, and then maybe 3 or 4–that breaks up the orderliness. People who go full John Wayne on the cigs generally have other issues (as John Wayne himself did).

Cleotis

Pigeon
Smoking is arguably a form of idolatry if you become addicted to it. It also is unhealthy, and you are supposed to take care of your body, since it is the temple of the Holy Spirit.
Anything is arguably a form of idolatry if you become addicted to it. St. Paul writes:
All things are lawful to me, but all things are not expedient. All things are lawful to me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.” (1 Cor. 6:12) "All things are lawful": That means that all indifferent things are indeed lawful inasmuch as they are not prohibited; but oftentimes they are not expedient; as in the case of smoking tobacco, etc. And much less would it be expedient to be enslaved by an irregular affection (i.e. an addiction) to anything, however indifferent the thing is in and if itself.

As for the claim about smoking being “unhealthy” (arguable) — and that you’re supposed to “take care of your body since it is the temple of the Holy Spirit” — No, not exactly. Eating red meat is “unhealthy” too, supposedly. Drinking caffeine is “unhealthy”. Alcohol is “unhealthy”. Tanning is “unhealthy” — is getting sunburned from working outside in the sun a sin? Not getting 8 hours of sleep a night is “unhealthy”. Not wearing a COVID-mask is “unhealthy”. Literally anything can be “unhealthy.” Why single out tobacco? Our bodies being temples of the Holy Ghost has nothing to do with physical “health” or appearance. Many people overly fixate on beautifying their bodies in the gym and make an idol out of their bodies, and deceive themselves and others that their sinful vanity and immodesty is a virtue, with the excuse that their body is a “temple”. No, you are supposed to avoid fornication since your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. That’s what that expression actually means; it has nothing to do with “being healthy” and everything to do with avoiding sexual sins of impurity. For, in the very same chapter of the same epistle, St. Paul writes: Or know you not, that he who is joined to a harlot, is made one body? For they shall be, saith he, two in one flesh. But he who is joined to the Lord, is one spirit. Fly fornication. Every sin that a man doth, is without [i.e. outside of] the body; but he that committeth fornication, sinneth against his own body. Or know you not, that your members are the temple of the Holy Ghost, who is in you, whom you have from God; and you are not your own? For you are bought with a great price. Glorify and bear God in your body.”

TLDR; No, but still consult a Priest.

Greece has been growing tobacco since at least the 17th century, and the consumption of tobacco products goes back even further into the pre-ottoman period of the Byzantine Empire via trade originating from Anatolia, or the Hindu Kush.

To my knowledge the Eastern Church has never attempted a canonical prohibition. I know the Greek Orthodox Church does not allow any clergy to consume tobacco on the basis that it dirties the Temple of the Holy Spirit (the body), and urges parish members to act with this in mind, which I assume is a fairly standard practice throughout the Orthodox hierarchy.

The whole pollution angle irks me. Especially with the abundant use of incense, which is vastly more pollutant laden than tobacco smoke.....LINK.....LINK2

Additionally, smoking seems to increase T-levels.....LINK

Consult a Priest
When I was in Greece, I have seen Greek clergy smoking cigarettes more than once. Seems to be one of these rules that are accepted to be broken. Continental European Christians are traditionally not as puritan as Anglo-Saxons/Americans. The New Model Army went into pubs to lecture people on such things. Is increasing T-levels good or bad?

Cavalier

Sparrow
When I was in Greece, I have seen Greek clergy smoking cigarettes more than once. Seems to be one of these rules that are accepted to be broken. Continental European Christians are traditionally not as puritan as Anglo-Saxons/Americans. The New Model Army went into pubs to lecture people on such things. Is increasing T-levels good or bad?
I can’t see how increasing T-levels naturally could be bad. Maybe if someone is in the grip of uncontrollable lust it might make things worse. Otherwise it is probably healthy for the body.

I can’t see how increasing T-levels naturally could be bad. Maybe if someone is in the grip of uncontrollable lust it might make things worse. Otherwise it is probably healthy for the body.
T stands for Testosterone? I was thinking about T-cells. I do smoke some cigarettes a day and I am very Not hairy - how much should I smoke for a hairy chest? That is not a serious question.

Cavalier

Sparrow
T stands for Testosterone? I was thinking about T-cells. I do smoke some cigarettes a day and I am very Not hairy - how much should I smoke for a hairy chest? That is not a serious question.
i thought it stood for testosterone but maybe he did mean T-Cells. I don’t know what a T-Cell is so I can’t comment. I personally believe smoking cigarettes is bad for health. I smoked and quit at 30. Felt extremely better afterwards. I do smoke the occasional pipe or cigar but that form of smoking isn’t inhaled. So I notice no negative effects.

i thought it stood for testosterone but maybe he did mean T-Cells. I don’t know what a T-Cell is so I can’t comment. I personally believe smoking cigarettes is bad for health. I smoked and quit at 30. Felt extremely better afterwards. I do smoke the occasional pipe or cigar but that form of smoking isn’t inhaled. So I notice no negative effects.
I think, t-cells are something in the blood.
Maybe the tobacco type is important. I doubt, that Navy flake makes anyone more masculine.
Orient cigarettes and Havannas probably make hairy. Boomers (and especially generations before them) who smoked earlier and more than Millenials and Gen-Z (or X) do seem to be more mature and masculine. But the Boomer females seem also more feminine. I think, one could do a lot of (pseudo)-science on the topic.