Is the US a Christian country?

Longshot03

Chicken
Protestant
Please tell me, how can a supposedly "Christian" country have the institution of slavery in principle? In what way is slavery compatible with the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth? Seriously?

I think that there is a difference between people who called themselves Christians or used Christian symbolica vs actually being Christians and practicing the teachings of Jesus Christ.

So this information alone makes me skeptical to the "Christianity" of the "Bible Belt" in the former Confederate states. Keep in mind that this region is considered as "the main Christian part of the country". Knowing this fact alone, we can answer the question "is the US a Christian country".
The U.S. and the West abolished slavery before anyone else. And slavery (indentured servants) wasn't condemned in the Bible. You're simply looking at this through 21st Century lenses. Truth be told, most of us now are slaves different ways--confiscatory taxation, regulations, speech codes. If I have to walk on pins and needles not to offend people at work (while being forced to hear how I have "privilege" and "bias" while it's actually the opposite) and can't even say what I really want on social media without repercussions, how free am I? Do I own a house since I have to pay property taxes and will lose it if I don't? We're all just on different plantations now. And truth be told, a LOT of whites were slaves in the U.S. (arguably a larger number than blacks) as this and other books have shown.
Amazon product

And you can't separate Christ's teachings from the rest of the Bible. Read what He said about the law in Matt. 5. Paul taught about roles of slaves and masters and even told an escaped slave to return. All your talk about "Bible Belt" and "Confederate States" make it clear where you go to church (public schools, Hollywood, MSM). You've definitely been programmed.

Stoiam

Banned
Orthodox
You're simply looking at this through 21st Century lenses. You've definitely been programmed.
All your talk about "Bible Belt" and "Confederate States" make it clear where you go to church (public schools, Hollywood, MSM).
I am Russian Orthodox, definitely not American in any way.

Truth be told, most of us now are slaves different ways. We're all just on different plantations now.
I don't deny that fact, but that doesn't mean that 19th century Confederate slavery is acceptable either. Any kind of slavery is definitely uncompatible with Christianity.

And you can't separate Christ's teachings from the rest of the Bible.
Jesus Christ was a rebel against Old Testament Judaism. Many of the things that he said contradict the teachings of Old Testament scholars.

Caedmon

Chicken
Orthodox
Fascinating and difficult question with many angles and viewpoints-whatever America was/is, we are DOOMED without a Retvrn to Christian Tradition.