Is there any merit to Alkaline Water?

redbeard

Hummingbird
I've been dealing with gum disease for years. Despite being very devout to my dental practices, it's not improving. I started doing some research and it seems alkaline water might help. The reasoning is that acid is bad for your teeth, and alkaline water helps kill bad bacteria and support healthy bacteria in the teeth.

I went down the rabbit hole a bit and alkaline water is a controversial subject. Mainstream health providers won't explicitly condone it, but at the same time Alex Jones (our local water expert) doesn't seem to support alkaline water either. But, Mike Cernovich and other health-conscious posters claim that it helps, but they don't really explain why. The only resources I can find that really support alkaline water are scammy affiliate marketing websites, that declare alkaline water will give you superpowers.

The reviews are mixed and there doesn't seem to be much concrete evidence either way.

So, does anyone believe in this stuff? Not just for dental health, either. Thanks.

Grow Bag

Sparrow
Get a water flosser (pik) and add a couple of drops of iodine (I use Lugols 15%) when you jet, you should see an improvement in a day or two. Also, I don't use toothpaste, I spray my brush with hydrogen peroxide to nuke the bacteria and just brush. Others recommend activated charcoal or baking powder, or a mixture of both. And it goes without saying, cut out sugar in all forms. A ketogenic diet is optimal for dental health, I had no gum bleeding when I was on it and that's without the above protocol. Unfortunately I lose too much weight on keto, so now I do eat carbohydrates, but no cakes or sugary food.

redbeard

Hummingbird
Get a water flosser (pik) and add a couple of drops of iodine (I use Lugols 15%) when you jet, you should see an improvement in a day or two. Also, I don't use toothpaste, I spray my brush with hydrogen peroxide to nuke the bacteria and just brush. Others recommend activated charcoal or baking powder, or a mixture of both. And it goes without saying, cut out sugar in all forms. A ketogenic diet is optimal for dental health, I had no gum bleeding when I was on it and that's without the above protocol. Unfortunately I lose too much weight on keto, so now I do eat carbohydrates, but no cakes or sugary food.
Thanks for the tip. I do most of this but will try to cut the toothpaste and use iodine in my waterpik.

Can you describe your dental practices in detail? You might be doing/not doing something that is relevant.

Waterpiks are OK but not effective enough to keep gums in optimal health. They are fine as a secondary means of keeping gums clean but not primary. You have to scrap plaque off under the gum line and waterpiks really can't reach there.

Are you flossing after every meal?

Are you consuming any sugar in your diet?

Do you drink/eat any acidic foods? (coke, juices, certain fruits, tomatoes, etc)

Do you wear a mouth guard? (grinding teeth cause gum disease).

Relevant towards your water question:

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I've been dealing with gum disease for years. Despite being very devout to my dental practices, it's not improving. I started doing some research and it seems alkaline water might help. The reasoning is that acid is bad for your teeth, and alkaline water helps kill bad bacteria and support healthy bacteria in the teeth.

I went down the rabbit hole a bit and alkaline water is a controversial subject. Mainstream health providers won't explicitly condone it, but at the same time Alex Jones (our local water expert) doesn't seem to support alkaline water either. But, Mike Cernovich and other health-conscious posters claim that it helps, but they don't really explain why. The only resources I can find that really support alkaline water are scammy affiliate marketing websites, that declare alkaline water will give you superpowers.

The reviews are mixed and there doesn't seem to be much concrete evidence either way.

So, does anyone believe in this stuff? Not just for dental health, either. Thanks.

I'm not sure where you are located but but my first suggestion would be hydrogen peroxide mouth wash. Colgate makes one called Peroxyl.

I never had any mouth issues until about a year ago. I kept getting something like a wound on my gums. I tried just plain 3% hydrogen peroxide and it worked well, but using it too much hurt my mouth.

So I bought the Walmart brand and Colgate mouth wash with hydrogen peroxide at 1.5% and it worked great. Also I realized that my mouth had some low grade inflammation because afterwards my gums felt a lot better everywhere, even though I was treating just the wounds. Or so I thought!

I asked a relative who has some dental experience and they also said how powerful using hydrogen peroxide in the mouth can be. It kills all the bad stuff, its essentially a wound cleaner that works well in the mouth.

Try that for a week or two, use it a few times a day. It will help a lot.

Hypno

Crow
Gum health is important and can affect the rest of your body and your mental health.

Gargling twice a day with hydrogen peroxide is good. The hydrogen peroxide you buy at the drug store is 3%. Dilute 1 to 1 with water and gargle. I have an old ACV jar, I fill it half way with HO and then the rest with water. Gargle twice a day with HO.

Equally important is to floss daily. Spend a couple of bucks and get those little flosser swords. Makes flossing easier, especially the back teeth. When you first start, your gums will bleed because they are inflamed. The more you do this, the less inflamed they will become.

Toothpaste/flouride. Flouride is toxic which is why it kills bacteria but probably not the best for you. You can switch to baking soda so long as you are using hydrogen peroxide, becaue the baking soda is just like sandpaper but isn't doing much to kill bacteria). I usually use baking soda in the morning and toothpaste at night, or baking soda once a day and nothing the second time. Bakind soda all the time can be very course to your gums and teeth.

Put your toothbrush in your dishwasher once a week to sterilize it, if you have an automatic dishwasher.

tiikaa

Pigeon
Since i started to do "oil-pulling" with coconut oil before brushing my teeth (with normal toothpaste) I never had gum problems again!! (And I used to have them quite frequently)

Grow Bag

Sparrow
Why is hydrogen peroxide good for the gums? Isn’t that stuff pretty intense and painful?
No, it's not painful. I personally wouldn't use it as a mouth wash, but it's perfectly OK to do so if diluted. I keep a litre bottle of food grade 3% and use it to spray my toothbrush then brush my teeth and gums. There is a taste, but I don't find it unpleasant. As with all things it's best to do your own research before proceeding.

BCBingus

Honestly I go out of my way to buy alkaline because I personally find it tastes sweeter than many other brands. I can't stand evian or fiji etc because they have a very garden hose/rain water taste to them. I had no idea there were any health benefits- I thought they made them more alkaline so that they'd be sweeter or smoother.