Is using an essay writing service ethical?

This Is Trouble

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Never did it myself in college, I don't think it's unethical at all. But, as others have said, don't get busted. Especially if you've already pissed away a few Gs for your education.

In hindsight though, as someone who now runs a business with a few employees, it actually might have been a first (small) step towards learning about how to outsource properly, how to vet their work, etc.
 

Fortis

Crow
Gold Member
I knew a few people who made it a hustle to write papers for others in university. I knew one girl who would "be you" for the semester. She would do EVERY single assignment for you so it looked consistent and normal. She used to have brand-new clothes and laptops every semester.

I always respected that she knew her strengths. She wasn't particularly good looking or anything but she knew what rich bitches like. They liked partying all the time and not worrying about shit, so she would worry about shit for them.

I really do wonder what happened to that girl. I bet she's doing the same thing at a higher level and being paid handsomely.
 

Geomann180

Ostrich
Catholic
Gold Member
It's neither ethical nor unethical in my opinion. If your class is actually useful or you get something out of it, then it's best you write the paper yourself. But if all you want is a passing grade and no hassle, I'll not judge ya.

G
 

ChicagoFire

Kingfisher
Fortis said:
I knew a few people who made it a hustle to write papers for others in university. I knew one girl who would "be you" for the semester. She would do EVERY single assignment for you so it looked consistent and normal. She used to have brand-new clothes and laptops every semester.

I always respected that she knew her strengths. She wasn't particularly good looking or anything but she knew what rich bitches like. They liked partying all the time and not worrying about shit, so she would worry about shit for them.

I really do wonder what happened to that girl. I bet she's doing the same thing at a higher level and being paid handsomely.

+1

FYI I never plagiarized when I was in uni but I can respect that hustle. This "grift" doesn't work in smaller universities but it presumably works in big ones. Like I posted before higher education is an utter joke, alternative careers like coding can be pulled off.

That girl is probably not using her degree and taking professional level exams like the JD for serious coin. Bless her.
 

Jetset

Ostrich
Yes.

It's also at least equally unethical to republish the same $300 textbook as a new edition each year so that nobody can save a few bucks on a used rental, or, worse, for the professor to publish his own textbook and force everyone to buy it.

So I'd say you're more or less a wash on hiring a "research assistant", as long as you actually read the paper and understand it.
 

WombRaider

 
Banned
Ethical ... hmm. Sure.

I write papers for students. It's a good way to earn location-independent income. Might do a datasheet if anyone is interested in trying this as an income source.
 

Tigre

Kingfisher
Gold Member
There are gigs I've done in this area that go beyond completing people's homework for them.

I also sit their exams in real time, and feed them the answers.
 

IronShark

 
Banned
To side with you, it's very important to not get caught. Because many students buy essays and hand it over without having any clue what the hell it is about.

If you pay for your essay it's very important to read it before submitting it.

There's a handy blog post sharing tips on how to hand in a written essay or dissertation you paid for without getting caught:
 

Kaligula

 
Banned
No, it is not ethical.

I remember when I was studying philosophy, the law was enacted in Poland which turned into crime 'writing exam essays for money'. Clearly 'writing exam essays for free' was not a crime. So maybe help from a friend is ethical.

The another, more important, point is the corruption of university system, a system which originally was designed to promote competence in an independent inquiry.
Essays are intended to make you capable of extended argumentation and thus a worthy member of democracy and other debating societies, like science, or RVF, for example.

But I remember many students in the philosophy department earning decent money with this activity. But guess where was the market? Other philosophy students? NO.
The market, as usually, is in different segment.
The market has been mainly composed from education (pedagogy), political science, and law students.

In Germany there were many plagiat scandals - Hans Theodor von und zu Guttenberg and Annete Schavan, being at the ministerial level, were the most famous ones - and the culprits were almost exclusively lawyers, economists, political scientists, and teachers. Contrary to their self-image of solid and earnest workers, Germans are die Hochstapler (con-men) not lesser than others. Education studies of all sorts balooned to extreme degree here.
It is very troubling that so many scandals were at the high level of society which rather clearly speaks of contempt and arrogance on the elite level.

Here is the list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_plagiarism_in_Germany

It simply follows that lawyers, economists, political scientists, and teachers are the biggest corruptors of society. They destroyed the West, and, strangely, only in the West these sciences have any significance, starting with Jan Amos Comenius who designed education like alchemy - with 'grades' of transformation needed to advance forward. The Western paradigm, broadly speaking, is based on the essentially heretic, alchemic idea of turning something into something else, namely upon the idea of mutiny against natural order. But nowadays, the Western alchemic society is coming to the final recognition - that education is not a philospher's stone and it is not possible to turn everything into gold.


After the Fall of the West, a history of the West should be written under the title 'The Rise and Decline of the Western alchemic society'
 

Fitman2018

Sparrow
Yeah can you do a data sheet on how to start this business? This seems like the a good way to have location independent income, college students will pay for this. Maybe won't get you rich but to live in third world countries and have an income it works.
 

TutorGuina

Woodpecker
WombRaider said:
Ethical ... hmm. Sure.

I write papers for students. It's a good way to earn location-independent income. Might do a datasheet if anyone is interested in trying this as an income source.
Do it man, I'll give you a rep.

Pretty sure with my english and knowledge level I can get some dollars from an affirmative action moron...
or maybe it's going to be Felicity Huffman dumber kids? Not even sure they really have to write essays.

At this point buying these services is liking evading taxes, more of a self-defense mechanism against a corrupt system than being the corruptor, if at all
 

Irenicus

Pelican
Gold Member
I don't think it's unethical.


Schools, in general, play dirty, in order to get as much money from you (or your parents) as possible. That's why you are forced to attend classes that have nothing to do with your major (I was forced to take Math classes in my law school, for fucks sake). That's why you are forced to buy books for hundreds of dollars (in my school we put an end to that practice, but that's outside the topic - all I will say is thank God for scanners).


Therefore...if schools play dirty in order to take as much money as possible, why would you/us students play fair? To be honest...most of that money you have given away is not used to better your education. One example...what you think the hot secretaries or assistant professors do?


:kissy: and :hump:



Since I used to write student papers as a side gig (I don't anymore, my other side gigs are more profitable), I will tell you one thing. Others have already mentioned it, I know ...but still... .


GET FAMILIAR WITH "YOUR" ESSAY.



Story time.


My sister, which still does copywriting, had a client. Standard issue dudebro - has money (daddy owns a successful business - if you lived in the Balkans, you surely bought a lot of stuff from that business), caveman mentality, and an IQ below 90 - the main reason most family companies fail after the founder dies. He had an essay due, and paid my sister to write it. Which she did. When he was supposed to make a presentation in front of the class...he did a poor job. So poor, that the professor told him how much he had paid for it, in front of everyone. I wouldn't be suprised if he failed that class.


Again... GET FAMILIAR WITH "YOUR" ESSAY..
 
The Chinese really like these services for some reason...

Cheating in Western academia? Prevalent? Yes, very much so. Only a few years ago like a tenth (I forget) or so of Harvard's student body got in trouble for cheating in a government class. So, it's not just the idiots doing it. SAT cheating, again very common. Especially the wealthy. And to add to it, the university admissions scandal.

Academia one hundred percent corrupt these days. No way they can catch all the cheaters, they just go for the low-hanging fruit. To take it full circle, why do the chinese never get caught? Well they pay full tuition. I think all the chinese cheat by the way.

Cheating in FSU/ Eastern Europe. Also very common. People that buy medical degrees, PhDs, masters, you name it. Never go to class, just enroll and a year or two later they have a degree.

Use of performance enhancing substances to cheat, laughingly common: speed, modafinil, and others. An open secret that most kids with means were using them. And kids with RX's were selling them...

On a personal level is it ethical to have someone write and essay for you? No. Clearly not.

I don't believe the software is that effective at all, but then again I've never been stupid enough to put plagiarized shit into it and hit submit.

Colleges take their moral cues from the business world. Again cheating quite common in the real world. Think of wall street. Huge amounts of unethical shit happening and drug use. SEC only hands out slaps on the wrist anyway. If you're living in a flawed system where you're working like a slave, of course large amounts of people are going to be taking uppers to handle their 80 hour weeks.
 

spydersuit

 
Banned
I am a prof.

Yes it is unethical. If I catch you I will fry you. You will get kicked out of school.

You are not trying if you are not cheating. Don’t get caught.

If you a retard and you turn in some Ph.D. level work. You will be caught.

Some professors don’t give a shit. If it is not obvious, then I don’t care. My time is more important than your grade.

As far as buying papers, it will work as long as the person you hire does not self plagiarize. Meaning that the dipshit that writes your paper doesn’t sell it someone else.

If you are a very strong educated writer then you could make some cash writing papers. I would charge $100 an hour for college essays.
Although, good luck having a steady flow of new ideas and a steady flow of clients. Get payment upfront.

Just write the paper yourself. You might learn something, will become a better writer, and will save some money.

The Chinamen that cheat get booted just like everyone else.

Everyone in the US knows that all other countries academic degrees are shit. That is why we don’t accept them. Heck most are shit in the US, and that is why the best universities will not accept transfer credits from lesser universities. Not all PhDs or degrees are created equal.

A good professor can’t spot plagiarism quickly but there are a lot of shitty professors. The strong scientific profs are master writers and editors. Engineers typically suck at writing because it is not emphasized in the field. Obviously, some fem nazi will know every piece of bullshit literature published in the feminism studies.

What the smart professors all know is that it will catch up to you in the real world. You are only cheating yourself.
 

edwarrdnorton

 
Banned
Agnostic
Irenicus said:
I don't think it's unethical.


Schools, in general, play dirty, in order to get as much money from you (or your parents) as possible. That's why you are forced to attend classes that have nothing to do with your major (I was forced to take Math classes in my law school, for fucks sake). That's why you are forced to buy books for hundreds of dollars (in my school we put an end to that practice, but that's outside the topic - all I will say is thank God for scanners).


Therefore...if schools play dirty in order to take as much money as possible, why would you/us students play fair? To be honest...most of that money you have given away is not used to better your education. One example...what you think the hot secretaries or assistant professors do?


:kissy: and :hump:



Since I used to write student papers as a side gig (I don't anymore, my other side gigs are more profitable), I will tell you one thing. Others have already mentioned it, I know ...but still... .


GET FAMILIAR WITH "YOUR" ESSAY.



Story time.


My sister, which still does copywriting, had a client. Standard issue dudebro - has money (daddy owns a successful business - if you lived in the Balkans, you surely bought a lot of stuff from that business), caveman mentality, and an IQ below 90 - the main reason most family companies fail after the founder dies. He had an essay due, and paid my sister to write it. Which she did. When he was supposed to make a presentation in front of the class...he did a poor job. So poor, that the professor told him how much he had paid for it, in front of everyone. I wouldn't be suprised if he failed that class.


Again... GET FAMILIAR WITH "YOUR" ESSAY..

I absolutely agree with you. Very useful and correct thoughts.
 
Top