It’s Time To Quit The Smartphone

Luna Novem

Woodpecker
Woman
Luna Novem, we might be brothers -- you just described me almost to a T. I've never owned a smartphone, either, and your alternative gear is exactly what I have with the exception of the iPod model. The hard drive in the Classic couldn't withstand the bouncing when I do cardio, so I went with the solid state iPod Touch for music. Roosh's suggestion to use an old Android device for music/podcasts is interesting, but my iPod Touch also serves as a 2FA device required by my employer, so it's the better choice for me.
I'll gladly be an honorary smartphone-less brother (I'm actually female) :)

It's so rare to find another person who's never owned a smartphone. We are at a distinct advantage, I believe; having never become accustomed (and therefore addicted), it continues to feel natural to go without. Cheers!

OrthoLeaf

Pigeon
Earlier this year, the Lord blessed me with breaking my smartphone, when it randomly stopped charging just a week or so after I first earnestly began trying to obtain to ceaseless prayer and to say the Jesus Prayer throughout the day. The phone, which I would mostly use to listen to lectures, music etc. - usually Orthodox Christian ones, was an undeniable distraction from this struggle. I cancelled my plan shortly after and I now have no phone, smart or otherwise, and am better for it. In hindsight, it only served to distract me and pull my attention away from where it should have been - on Christ. I do my communications through email now (trackable I know, but unless I go carrier pigeons I don't see a way around this) and simply set time away for listening to lectures when I can provide my full attention and even take notes. Overall in my roughly 5 months of experience, I've missed nothing but gained multiple hours of the day to dedicate to prayer or contemplation. I'm also more "present" and feel as if I'm living more in Gods creation, than in this fictional digital creation which I now see more as a sort of mental prison. Don't intend on going back.

...I just wish I had an ounce of musical ability and could actually chant and not have to listen to my tone deaf self while attempting to do so.

Aizen

Kingfisher
I'm buying a Chinese smartphone that deliberately does not have Google Play Systems on it. Instead it runs on Huawei App Gallery.

It's not as privacy-minded as a dumbphone, but I'd much rather the Chinese have my data than the American technocratic oligarchs.

JayR

Woodpecker

It's so rare to find another person who's never owned a smartphone. We are at a distinct advantage, I believe; having never become accustomed (and therefore addicted), it continues to feel natural to go without. Cheers!
Ah, apologies on the mis-gendering.

I was involved in a nasty custody battle right at the time when cell phones were becoming ubiquitous. Ex wanted to get my 7 year old a phone, which of course I resisted. If Mom could not respect the night-time phone rules over the landline, I knew a mobile phone would have her in my daughter's head non-stop. For reasons I won't go into here, this HAD to be prevented. Also, 7 years old is just too young!

So, in the way of setting an example for my kid (and also because I'm a cheap, non-joiner by nature), I went without getting a phone for so long that eventually the drawbacks and dangers of carrying one started to become clear and I just didn't want one.

I eventually lost the battle in court (of course) and the kid got her own phone, but that is another story.

Max Roscoe

Kingfisher
I build my own computers and have always had cool electronic devices and gear so people are invariably confused when they find out I don't have a smart phone. At first, it was just a financial matter, as I'm frugal and didn't see the point in shelling out $100 a month for expensive internet plans when I had faster, better and cheaper internet at home, and wifi was almost everywhere anyway. Then as the cost came down I still didn't buy one as I just don't see the need, and actually find constant connectivity to be both disempowering and stressful.

No one has the right to my time and attention while I'm out, say, having a meal with friends, or busy driving to the grocery, or taking a dump. We can have a conversation when I am truly free and can give you my undivided attention, or better yet, we can find time to meet in person.

What I find hilarious is the people who answer their smart phones only to tell you they are busy and they have to call you later. I have this cool feature on my Nokia that automates that process for me. It is the "missed call log."

I won't carry my phone in to a place like a restaurant or cafe, because it is rude to the other party I am meeting there, or if I'm alone, I don't want to be bothered until I'm done having my meal. It's disrespectful to yourself to allow others to interrupt your meal because they want to tell you something.

I bout an iphone 6 (last one designed by Steve Jobs with headphone jack and some good features) and carry it around as a portable camera / podcast device / note taker, and sometimes will pull up a website on free wifi, but it has never had a SIM card in it. Bonus is you can buy a "locked" one for super cheap ($100 new at Wal Mart for a $600+ phone). Even then I can't stand the abysmal battery life of smart phones, and have it in a battery case that lets it run for about a week. Dumb phones can last for a month on a single charge.

I've always found it far superior to talk on one device (real phone) while I take notes on a smart phone. Trying to use a smart phone to do both things at once is just dumb.;)

Luna Novem

Woodpecker
Woman
Ah, apologies on the mis-gendering.

I was involved in a nasty custody battle right at the time when cell phones were becoming ubiquitous. Ex wanted to get my 7 year old a phone, which of course I resisted. If Mom could not respect the night-time phone rules over the landline, I knew a mobile phone would have her in my daughter's head non-stop. For reasons I won't go into here, this HAD to be prevented. Also, 7 years old is just too young!

So, in the way of setting an example for my kid (and also because I'm a cheap, non-joiner by nature), I went without getting a phone for so long that eventually the drawbacks and dangers of carrying one started to become clear and I just didn't want one.

I eventually lost the battle in court (of course) and the kid got her own phone, but that is another story.
Yikes, all of that sounds super crappy. I'm fortunate that my husband and I are very much on the same page in regards to our kids + smartphones. The girls were allowed a "dumbphone" around 12 or 13, and they were allowed a smartphone at 15-16. Our younger kids are currently 5th and 2nd grade, and neither of them have a phone. My 5th grader is beginning to push for one, but, sorry buddy, ain't happening. As for seven years old? That is far, FAR too young. I simply don't understand the mindset of giving the entire internet to a small child.

ben1

Pigeon
I toyed with the idea of getting a feature phone even just to have a spare burner phone for emergencies but I ended up deciding that this probably is not the answer for me.
  • A smartphone permits me to do most of my telcom needs on Signal, which has greater privacy and security than a regular phone
  • Big tech and the government already have your voice fingerprint, which they can track if you call on the standard phone networks
  • De-googling android seems more promising for getting the best of both worlds.

Bitter End

Woodpecker
I leave me smartphone at home most of the time. Using the laptop for messaging friends, as previously suggested in the thread. The very first step we should all take is block all notifications. Highly recommended. Then the device is already a bit less intrusive and it makes it easier to ditch it at home for hours, if not days.

Papaya

Peacock
Gold Member
Apparently you should leave your phone at home if youre going to kill your wife too

Guy claimed to be sleeping when his wife was killed outside their home. But his health app showed he had taken 18 steps at that time which put him exactly the distance his wife was murdered and back inside....Doh!

Jokes aside Ive always thought that geo location data would be an easy way for the govt to frame someone when they need a patsy

islandgirl

Chicken
Woman
I dumbed down my iphone a few years ago. I cancelled my data plan and changed it to talk and text only. I connect to wifi for FaceTime audio calls for long distance friends, and to play music. I disabled my internet browsers to avoid the lure of search engines. I’m disconnected most of the time. And of course, cover my front facing camera with electrical tape. I have no form of social media and wiped out my last name from the web. I refuse Zoom chats, even if they are a part of the “new normal”.

Smartphones are useful, but extremely addicting, as well as creepy. Remember who you were before smart phones existed?

I have struggled with smartphone and technology addiction since I was 13, especially because it enables sitting alone and being inactive. Public schools are culpable to a high degree in dooming Zoomers to cell phone addiction. In senior year I got a Nokia 3310 and I was the only person I could find that did not have a smartphone. I was in a class of over 800. The amount of schoolwork that they had us do on smartphones was ridiculous. In 2016 Kahoot! and a few similar websites infected my school, and some teachers would mark your participation grade down for not being able to participate, because having a smartphone was a given and a student to pulling one out was obviously choosing not to use theirs. I do not blame my parents, for the beast did not show its nature in their time, but I will never subject children of mine to such abuse.

I use an old Samsung slider phone it cant do anything other than text and call. Supposedly it can do MMS but it is seemingly impossible to get working on my network. I do have an Android phone a basic cheap one due to work but I use it as little as possible. You will think im tin foil fat but the cameras have been taped over on it! If I go to the shop or on a walk then no phone for me.

Lionheart

Sparrow
N

No smart phone here either. I live in a very rural area surrounded by hills and can't get cell phone reception. I just have a burner phone I take on the road with me in case of a breakdown or something.

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
I have a smartphone for personal and professional reasons. I am under no misconception that my info, location, and data is being used at all times. Not only is all of my data insecure, but I have been feeling the effects of what being constantly connected can do to your mental state. Someday I will move away from this technology when I am able.

My husband has always adamantly refused a smartphone. He has a dumb phone only, for work, and I definitely note and respect his reasons for sticking with that. We have a landline (no answering machine) that works just fine for most purposes. I see that in the next few years, there will be a major shift away from constant connection in circles like this one, in order to keep ourselves as private and secure as possible.

Someone mentioned iPods further up thread, I used one for years. I resisted the call of new technology as long as possible and only got my first smartphone about 4 years ago.

JohnQThomas

Woodpecker
Apparently you should leave your phone at home if youre going to kill your wife too

Guy claimed to be sleeping when his wife was killed outside their home. But his health app showed he had taken 18 steps at that time which put him exactly the distance his wife was murdered and back inside....Doh!

Jokes aside Ive always thought that geo location data would be an easy way for the govt to frame someone when they need a patsy
Or a way to prove your innocence if you had your phone with you and the data shows you weren’t at the crime scene.