IT Jobs

I love coding and often code on weekends but as far as actually working in the industry forget about it. I've been applying for 5-10 jobs a week for years and get no calls. Also it is probably the most beta left wing industries to work in. Every coder is a weak feminised pussy with no balls. For example Dan Abramov the creator of the React JavaScript framework. The biggest male-femisinst/ male-leftist never Trumper you can meet. He even has his pronouns on his twitter feed :laughter:
ckfRZCF.png
dude,...when you get a job......pull in others of us that are like minded...we'll take this industry over

I'm currently looking at this zero to mastery guy i ran across from UDEMY .

Seems like it might be worth it

Okay, I committed to this learning academy. If this guy is legit, I'll let you guys know. I'm not sure i wanna pay 17% of my yearly salary after i get a job making 50k a year for 2 years . That's the ISA agreement. Since I'm payin 30 bucks a month, i feel like i now have skin in the game . I'll update weekly on this thread what i learn.

Okay, I committed to this learning academy. If this guy is legit, I'll let you guys know. I'm not sure i wanna pay 17% of my yearly salary after i get a job making 50k a year for 2 years . That's the ISA agreement. Since I'm payin 30 bucks a month, i feel like i now have skin in the game . I'll update weekly on this thread what i learn.

Udemy is great! I'm not sure how it is now, but about 5 or 6 years ago I found free beginner Java and C++ courses that helped me start my programming journey.

Not sure if there's already a thread for this, but I'd like discuss IT jobs ITT. Everything from basic Help Desk/IT support, to Cybersecurity, to Programmer/Software Engineer or Network Admin stuff.

I'm thinking of picking up some professional certs and attempting to get into Cybersecurity. Is it a good field overall, and difficult to be outsourced unlike software engineer and programming jobs? I'm currently thoroughly researching, and weighing the pros and cons of security analyst etc vs software engineer.

And for anyone in the know, how are job prospects in the security field? Is it already saturated or still good?
I am new as well in terms of use of this forum. DId you receive any feedback or learn about certifications? I learned about A+ and am thinking about obtaining basic certifications this year that would get me in the door with a company. I am looking to make at least $65K the first year. Do you or any one reading with experience have any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

FullThrottleTX

Woodpecker
I am new as well in terms of use of this forum. DId you receive any feedback or learn about certifications? I learned about A+ and am thinking about obtaining basic certifications this year that would get me in the door with a company. I am looking to make at least $65K the first year. Do you or any one reading with experience have any thoughts? Thank you in advance.
I don't think certifications get you anywhere, personally. A+ is a relic from the 90s and IT helpdesk as a field is going to be less lucrative moving forward due to all the remote workers and offices requiring less IT support as a result.

The most valuable certs require hands on experience, like the AWS certs.

65k, that's a bit high for entry level...
You might get that after a year or two working full-time.

FullThrottleTX

Woodpecker
Udemy is great! I'm not sure how it is now, but about 5 or 6 years ago I found free beginner Java and C++ courses that helped me start my programming journey.
Udemy is good for the diversity of courses they have, but the course quality is all over the map and it's a mixed bag.
Pluralsight is more consistently high quality.

For Microsoft-related stuff (.NET, JavaScript, Node), you can't beat Pluralsight.
Python and Java and PHP are probably better covered on Udemy.

You sort of have to see what the course offerings are and then decide which training platform to use.
I like the tracks on Pluralsight that give you a selection of courses from each stack.

FullThrottleTX

Woodpecker
If you're really committed to Python,
The best course is through the TalkPython folks.

He's got a lot of really niche topics as well.
Good podcast. And he's very well connected to the industry, which is a plus.

indokiwi

Pigeon
Does anyone here have any information about the Cisco CCNA certification.

I want to become a network engineer and I have the option of doing a 2 year master's in IT vs doing a CCNA certificate.

I don't really know too much about this industry so my apologies if this sounds like a stupid question.

Could someone please give me some advice?

homersheineken

Kingfisher
Does anyone here have any information about the Cisco CCNA certification.

I want to become a network engineer and I have the option of doing a 2 year master's in IT vs doing a CCNA certificate.

I don't really know too much about this industry so my apologies if this sounds like a stupid question.

Could someone please give me some advice?
You have a bachelor's degree (presumably in CS) and you don't know much about the industry?

I looked into CCNA and almost did it, but that was 20 years ago and the industry has changed quite a bit. I'm not sure on the need for that anymore. It used to be an instant 6 figure salary.

indokiwi

Pigeon
You have a bachelor's degree (presumably in CS) and you don't know much about the industry?

I looked into CCNA and almost did it, but that was 20 years ago and the industry has changed quite a bit. I'm not sure on the need for that anymore. It used to be an instant 6 figure salary.
I have a science degree, majoring in Psychology.

From my research the CCNA seems to be the gold standard for employers just looking at job postings and their requirements.

I just need to know what the more experienced guys out there in the industry think about this.

The Beast1

Peacock
Gold Member
Sigh, IT is so disappointing these days. Hell, most fields have become so digitized now that IT as a role has meshed into regular business functions. Between that, cargo cult programming methodologies, off shoring, and general diversity BS, it's tough.

I started at the helpdesk and then became a business analyst (begrudgingly). I was laid off 2 years later.
Agile is seriously the biggest POS out there and is really communism just repackaged.

OK, I take that back. Just like communism sort of works on kibbutzes, agile works well with small teams. The abomination that you get at the big corporates is really this nasty hybrid of waterfall with agile characteristics AKA the SDLC lifecycle you (aka Klaus Schwab WEF great reset communism).

And just like communism, everyone just isn't doing agile right!

I swear, I sit in a few meetings with scrum masters and product owners who some how always managed to talk, talk, talk but never actually get anything done. It's a consistent trait amongst all of them.

If you can get an IT job at a small to midsize company in a 2nd or 3rd tier city, you're basically set for life. The pay will be consistent, the work light, and the quality of life way higher.

For those looking for a job: when you apply for jobs online, they ask you to fill out those EEOC diversity questionnaire BS. Long story short: lie .

It should go without saying in this day and age, but you should always lie about your ethnicity on any forms.

I sometimes will randomly click an ethnicity (except white and asian). Very often I consider myself pacific islander, hispanic, black, and for fun native American. By law they can't use this for hiring criteria, but the truth is they totally use it to filter for diversity hires.

Use this to your advantage. I've had interview rates go way up.

Mr Gee

Pigeon
Sigh, IT is so disappointing these days. Hell, most fields have become so digitized now that IT as a role has meshed into regular business functions. Between that, cargo cult programming methodologies, off shoring, and general diversity BS, it's tough.

I started at the helpdesk and then became a business analyst (begrudgingly). I was laid off 2 years later.
Agile is seriously the biggest POS out there and is really communism just repackaged.

OK, I take that back. Just like communism sort of works on kibbutzes, agile works well with small teams. The abomination that you get at the big corporates is really this nasty hybrid of waterfall with agile characteristics AKA the SDLC lifecycle you (aka Klaus Schwab WEF great reset communism).

And just like communism, everyone just isn't doing agile right!

I swear, I sit in a few meetings with scrum masters and product owners who some how always managed to talk, talk, talk but never actually get anything done. It's a consistent trait amongst all of them.

If you can get an IT job at a small to midsize company in a 2nd or 3rd tier city, you're basically set for life. The pay will be consistent, the work light, and the quality of life way higher.

For those looking for a job: when you apply for jobs online, they ask you to fill out those EEOC diversity questionnaire BS. Long story short: lie .

It should go without saying in this day and age, but you should always lie about your ethnicity on any forms.

I sometimes will randomly click an ethnicity (except white and asian). Very often I consider myself pacific islander, hispanic, black, and for fun native American. By law they can't use this for hiring criteria, but the truth is they totally use it to filter for diversity hires.

Use this to your advantage. I've had interview rates go way up.
I once saw an email from IT Manager to HR Manager about job applicants for a senior ICT Admin role, it listed around 12 applicants all but one had foreign names, the HR dude commented the one guy with western name not be considered as he seemed too toxic.
From what I have seen over the years in IT team hires this seems quite common. HR are scum.

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
Copying in some personal experiences I have had with some friends about how Pajeet is taking over IT. Indians ruin the industry.

Professional IT consulting contracts are managed by street vendors from mumbai who should be selling spices and goats.

Pajeet is taking over. I am planning a gradual exit from the Industry I am in (ERP Consulting) over the course of the next decade. I have had a series of difficult run ins with the million man Pajeet Army. High level as follows:

(1) 2012 worked for a client for two years on site, after a disastrous implementation in which they were quoted a 3 month installation of full HR & Finance modules. Pajeets on the ground. The actual implementation took 2 years plus. The CEO of this private company got into a contract dispute with the impossible deliverable. Severed ties with the Pajeet consulting firm and kept the remaining Pajeet minions as independent contractors. The culture was white 905 at the time, I was the darling consultant, I showed up to work on time, took the clients out to lunch from time to time, spoke fluent english, had honest and sometimes difficult conversations with them. Imagine a company, implementing a financial system, without the ability to generate and income statement or balance sheet, and demanding payment. The chart of accounts still suffers from Pajeet treating financial accounting & systems like values that needed to be filled to run a program rather than the basis of financial programming. Worked with a Pajeet on the Payroll Journal for 1000s of employees, his method was to add copious amounts of custom code into an already massive program rather than to actually ask the business to organize according to system requirements. He also ensured no documentation, or even in program commenting of the code was put in. Other than his initials so they would know to call him to fix the problem and he could bill more hours. The worst of this was the CIO putting me in an office with Pajeet to "work it out" for a full week because the guy had taken their accounting of employees and benefits (80% of expsenses for a service company) fully off the rails, it was awful.

(2) Taking innumerable cold calls from recruiter Pajeets and later Pageetas (female pajeets) . Pajeets only want you to say you can do the job without verifying your resume vs. requirement in the least. Then they demand they submit you for it at half your normal rate and you reply to their fake legal email contract that THEY will represent you. When the Pajeetas call, they usually have a baby crying and a bunch of Korma boiling over on their stove. Awful.

(3) In 2018 Won a contract for Toyota in Dallas Texas with intermittent work in Mexico City. The contract required some spanish ability, I made it past Pajeet and established rapport with my Costa Rican Manager. The systems integrator (prime contractor) was another Pajeet Inc. The recruiter also a Pajeet placement agency. The Placement agency fucked up my TN Visa application, and told me they couldn't do it because they were so "backed up" with H1Bs. I got stopped at the border, and couldn't enter. Had all my stuff in my car and was going to move to Texas (+ Mexico) for a year. When I called Pajeets back, they weren't to be found, didn't pick up the phone. I tried to take steps to assure the client it would be worked out but was behind a firewall of Pajeets. Ultimately I picked up work at a Company in Toronto and it fell through.

(4) In 2017 At Canadian Corproation worked with one Pajeet who booked double time, billing out full hours to 2 clients, buying homes in Bramladesh ( GTA Suburb filled with Indians), and probably not even putting half the hours in on our project. When the Project Manager pushed to have him fired, the RACE card was actually played by the black guy who had placed the Pajeet (intersectionality!)

(5) In 2019 I was working 20-30 hours/week for a long time client to help them out, and also they were helping me out (my white client from point #1. Pajeet hired me for a 8 month full hour contract at Scotiabank (which is an identified Pajeet project). I knew a Pajeet and was able to get in and meet the end client (white woman) who liked me. As usual there was some bickering over rate, as is critical with Pajeets but they needed someone in there quick as of course the project was a Pajeet Wipe Left hand shit show. I signed the contract, and had been provided a start date only 8 days ahead. I then went ahead and told my client I was "rolling off". 3 business days before the start date I had not yet received the signed contract back. It fell through somehow. I couldn't get a single Pajeet on the phone. The recruiter simply didn't answer my emails, then provided me a single liner "Contract will not proceed". No explanation or anything.

(6) 2015 I went through an interviiew process at WSIB. Was 1st choice for a "contract position" to backfill with a salary band. When I asked to be placed in the middle of the band as I had 10 years experience, not 5,.... I was told that there were many Pajeets willing to take the bottom of the band. I walked away.

(7) Recent work on an ottawa Pajeet project at where I was 2 whites working with 15 Pajeets. The role of being the minority surrounded by Indians is an eye opener.

(8) Received 6 calls from Pajeets last year in the space of two days, all recruiting for a ZYZ Major Bank role (same as 5). On the 6th call I picked up and heard another Pajeets voice. I asked " is this for the consulant at XYZ Major Bank" Pajeet: " how did you know" Me: " you are the 6th indian to call me about it this week.

Aftermath. Received a linkedin message from a Pajeet about a bigIT Contract (XYZ Major BAnk). Somehow they can't find the right person, or there is a revolving door of Pajeets. I asked who the contract was for. Answer: "Pajeet" Consulting. My response "no thanks".

I don't work fFOR Pajeets, and wont. When they call, I try to get info out of them, then find a non pajeet way of working for the same client. I will work WITH Pajeets, but I can't stand them.

... I will work WITH Pajeets, but I can't stand them.
At this point whenever I start working with them I feel a mix of despair and annoyance. I occasionally have to deal with them on ERP-related things, even though I am in a non-IT role.
For me the biggest thing is that most of them never own up to their mistakes. They just keep pushing on like a freight train with total disregard to their screwups and without uttering a single apology. Also, I find them them quite dangerous, since they are fairly good at shifting the blame and framing things as if it wasn't them who messed up, but actually you. A very dangerous bunch.