Jay Dyer

get2choppaaa

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Sure, but he's a Roman Catholic with a PhD in English literature. What would you expect?
Exactly, i just tune out that bit and focus on all the good he does.

It's like going to a world class steak house and ordering sushi.

Why would you go for that when there's do many other wonderful things on the menu.

Aslo EMJ doesn't pretend to really be all that well informed about Orthodoxy from what I've heard. He's says "they're apostolic so I don't really know how to criticize" or something to that effect.

Caramasão

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
Exactly, i just tune out that bit and focus on all the good he does.

It's like going to a world class steak house and ordering sushi.

Why would you go for that when there's do many other wonderful things on the menu.

Aslo EMJ doesn't pretend to really be all that well informed about Orthodoxy from what I've heard. He's says "they're apostolic so I don't really know how to criticize" or something to that effect.

Well, more than once he said that the theology of the Orthodox Church is Neoplatonic. Which at the time prompted Jay Dyer to call him to a debate (which almost happened but ended up being cancelled).

get2choppaaa

Hummingbird
Orthodox
See, life is easier when you're like me and don't know what “Neoplatonic” means. Doesn't really mean anything to me so I can't be offended.
100 percent agree. Sometimes disregarding minutia solves a lot of quarrels that don't need to exist.

I know I'm smarter than your average bear, but I try and not fall in love with my own intellectual capabilities and recognize that 50 percent of all academic pursuits are beyond substantive value in my life....

I just need to make sense of the 25 percent of chaos that's out there and make it fit into my m 25 percent of knowledge base habits and this will square itself away.

I think this is apropos for Jay, he is genuine and absolutely a quality person. No doubt very sincere in his faith. However If following him gets so minute youre at the point of arguing distinctions with out a differences...then I'd move on for a While.

That also applies to any/all intellectuals regardless of field or subject.

Caramasão

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
100 percent agree. Sometimes disregarding minutia solves a lot of quarrels that don't need to exist.

I know I'm smarter than your average bear, but I try and not fall in love with my own intellectual capabilities and recognize that 50 percent of all academic pursuits are beyond substantive value in my life....

I just need to make sense of the 25 percent of chaos that's out there and make it fit into my m 25 percent of knowledge base habits and this will square itself away.

I think this is apropos for Jay, he is genuine and absolutely a quality person. No doubt very sincere in his faith. However If following him gets so minute youre at the point of arguing distinctions with out a differences...then I'd move on for a While.

It's fine that you don't know these things and don't care, but the issue is by no means a mere matter of minutia.

get2choppaaa

Hummingbird
Orthodox
It's fine that you don't know these things and don't care, but the issue is by no means a mere matter of minutia.
Easy killer ... But if you're gonna play that game...

Don't confuse me, or others, trying to give a pass to an otherwise excellent source with a Neophyte good sir...

I do know and I don't pretend to be the one to right the wrongs of centuries disagreement ...

Merely saying there are better groups to pick fights with.

How dare I agree with a Catholic on general substance with out taking his dogma seriously?

None should be getting priestly or catechism advice from him...why mess that up?

Last edited:

Caramasão

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
Easy killer ... But if you're gonna play that game...

Don't confuse me, or others, trying to give a pass to an otherwise excellent source with a Neophyte good sir...

I do know and I don't pretend to be the one to right the wrongs of centuries disagreement ...

Merely saying there are better groups to pick fights with.

How dare I agree with a Catholic on general substance with out taking his dogma seriously?

None should be getting priestly or catechism advice from him...why mess that up?

Of course we can appreciate both Jay's and EMJ's work despite these theological disputes. However, this does not mean that the point of disagreement is insignificant or mere minutiae, that was my point. I'm not here to say who you should and shouldn't agree with, that would be ridiculous of me.

Viktor Zeegelaar

Crow
Orthodox Inquirer

I think it's more like a niche. Like in every sphere, there's a niche for everything, and Jay fills the niche of the vehement intellectual who fiercely pursues in depth intellectual understanding of theology, great reset, who the elite are, more ancient philosophical films, symbolism in movies and media etc. His debates with atheists have been the most useful for me, for his transcedental arguments really puts every atheist checkmate instantly. Useful also to realize how stupid I was beyond belief when I proudly declared that I ''believed in myself'' and of course not in ''a God''. I also learned quite a lot from his breakdowns of the Elite writings, a very useful playlist he has on Jewtube, for example his tragedy and hope breakdown but many more. The more philosophical/theological stuff goes a bit over my head and I don't really, for myself, see the need and utility to deep dive into that, but others may be conoisseurs of that more than I am.

Jaybosan

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
Youtuber OrthodoxKyle (who might warrant his own thread due to his own growing amount of quality content) recently interviewed Jay on his "Orthocast" podcast.

Yeagerist

Kingfisher
Orthodox Catechumen
Wonder if the WEF people have already set their sights tracked on Jay. I can't imagine talking about stuff like globalism and Americanization for many years now and still managing to go under the radar.

Btw what I've noticed is that, despite being the most high-profile Orthodox content creator, Jay deliberately keeps his production value to a certain limit so that he avoids blowing up too much like Nick Fuentes or Milo Yiannopoulos (and end up getting hit pieces one after another by the Left). I'm aware that Jay rubs a lot of people the wrong way, even fellow Orthodox Christians, but he seems like the kind of a guy who actually thrives in verbal head-butting and interpersonal conflict, and that's what's keeping him going while anyone else in his place would be more agreeable and tone down their rhetoric. For me this is exactly the kind of attitude needed for online apologetics, especially if you're tired of always being on the defensive as regards, say, atheism or Islam or progressivism.

Which leads me to Jay appearing on Tim Pool's show, and it makes me wonder how this will affect him PR-wise.

IMG_20230120_145931.jpg