Jay Dyer

mountainaire

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
^ I never worried about Jay blowing up and becoming too big for his britches because he is a scholar at heart. He does integrate humor into his content but his way of presentation appeals to a certain segment that are interested in detailed analysis rather than surface level shenanigans. Jay would have to severely dumb down his content if he wanted to be mainstream, and I can't ever see him doing that. He seems happy in his niche that he's carved out.

Viktor Zeegelaar

Crow
Orthodox Inquirer
Wonder if the WEF people have already set their sights tracked on Jay. I can't imagine talking about stuff like globalism and Americanization for many years now and still managing to go under the radar.

Btw what I've noticed is that, despite being the most high-profile Orthodox content creator, Jay deliberately keeps his production value to a certain limit so that he avoids blowing up too much like Nick Fuentes or Milo Yiannopoulos (and end up getting hit pieces one after another by the Left). I'm aware that Jay rubs a lot of people the wrong way, even fellow Orthodox Christians, but he seems like the kind of a guy who actually thrives in verbal head-butting and interpersonal conflict, and that's what's keeping him going while anyone else in his place would be more agreeable and tone down their rhetoric. For me this is exactly the kind of attitude needed for online apologetics, especially if you're tired of always being on the defensive as regards, say, atheism or Islam or progressivism.

Which leads me to Jay appearing on Tim Pool's show, and it makes me wonder how this will affect him PR-wise.

View attachment 53594

He has more stuff on Rokfin that isn't put on Youtube. But to be honest I think Jay just doesn't have the content to really blow up, it's too niche and intellectual. I've enjoyed it a lot in the past but ye gotta put ye big brain cap on and have an innate interest in these topics. Most people just don't have that interest. And when they do, the masses are more attracted to the 3 hr air alarm show of AJ, instead of listening how the neo-platonic attitudes of Nietzsche impacted Cecil Rhodes addressing the Roundtable talk in the late 19th century.

Yeagerist

Kingfisher
Orthodox Catechumen
^ I never worried about Jay blowing up and becoming too big for his britches because he is a scholar at heart. He does integrate humor into his content but his way of presentation appeals to a certain segment that are interested in detailed analysis rather than surface level shenanigans. Jay would have to severely dumb down his content if he wanted to be mainstream, and I can't ever see him doing that. He seems happy in his niche that he's carved out.
He has more stuff on Rokfin that isn't put on Youtube. But to be honest I think Jay just doesn't have the content to really blow up, it's too niche and intellectual. I've enjoyed it a lot in the past but ye gotta put ye big brain cap on and have an innate interest in these topics. Most people just don't have that interest. And when they do, the masses are more attracted to the 3 hr air alarm show of AJ, instead of listening how the neo-platonic attitudes of Nietzsche impacted Cecil Rhodes addressing the Roundtable talk in the late 19th century.
Yeah I think this is for the better, and so what we need are Orthobros who can take the opposite direction and appeal to as wide an audience as possible while still retaining based rhetoric, as a complement to Jay's very specialized and technical online space. I think this is what Kyle and Jonathan Pageau are currently doing. The downsides are (1) you end up being in a handicap where you can't easily present the Orthodox stance to a wide audience, or (2) you become more prone to mainstream hit pieces and brigading from normies because you decide to have a more visible presence. Which happened a couple of times to Kyle.

The other option would be a more pastoral approach which caters to the immediate emotional/social needs of potential inquirers that cannot be satisfied by hours of hard rational analysis. Which is the job of clergy "YouTubers" like Fr. Josiah Trenham and Fr. Spyridon Bailey. But obviously aside from the requirement to have training as a priest, it requires patience and tolerance and the ability to be emotionally attuned to other people.

Острог

Woodpecker
Orthodox
I'd decline the Wool-controlled-op podcast if I were Jay.

Adam Green and his minions are not only stupid but also dishonest. They took a video of Jay talking about how transhumanism apes the resurrection and edited it to make it look like he was preaching it.

Man, that guy is not only unagreeable but an active vermin too.

get2choppaaa

Hummingbird
Orthodox
I'd decline the Wool-controlled-op podcast if I were Jay.

Man, that guy is not only unagreeable but an active vermin too.
Green is a blasphemer. He's got a schtick, and thats all he's gonna focus on....

Really sad to see people who live such miserable lives.

Im looking forward to catching some of the Jay Timcast, as much as I loath Dim Pool.... a total intellectual serf not fit to change my drunken rambling's bathwater.

In serious though, its good to see him get a little "alternative normie" outreach. I think net net Dyer is a force for good out there and I am glad anytime an Orthodox Christian can penetrate the market of intellectually curious semi-normies.

Kiwi

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
Why? There's an abundance of online resources for philosophy that don't cost a cent. If you really want to understand Philosophy or even Theology for that matter, there's great quality out there which doesn't require payment. Oxford, Cambridge, etc all have free philosophy courses even on YouTube.

iTunes U was really good for courses from Harvard, Princeton etc... but doesn't seem to be around anymore. Probably just me but i'd rather spend my money on something else.

Jay should charge for a theology / ontology / movies / conspiracy course. He'd probably get way more interest.

Gazeebo

Sparrow
Orthodox
Sounds expensive. Also sounds like I could spend less than $50 usd and buy the essential philosophy books.

Michael Sugrue and Gregory B. Sadler are pretty good YouTube channels I enjoy listening too. Sugrue did lectures in the 90s through today and Sadler does short and long lectures on an abundance of philosophic topics and ideals.

OrthoSerb

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Why? There's an abundance of online resources for philosophy that don't cost a cent. If you really want to understand Philosophy or even Theology for that matter, there's great quality out there which doesn't require payment. Oxford, Cambridge, etc all have free philosophy courses even on YouTube.

iTunes U was really good for courses from Harvard, Princeton etc... but doesn't seem to be around anymore. Probably just me but i'd rather spend my money on something else.

Jay should charge for a theology / ontology / movies / conspiracy course. He'd probably get way more interest.
There's great free resources for most topic these days. I don't know many details about Jay's course but I think you also get access to question him during/after lectures if I'm not mistaken. I'd also imagine he's structured the course in such a way that he comes at the topic in a way which is more holistic than other normie academic courses. So we're not just talking about a bunch of free facts you can get anywhere else. $1000 is not a lot to pay for an education in a topic you take seriously. I'd say that my interest in a topic was quite limited if I balked at spending that amount (which is fine, we don't all need to be experts in all topics). I also don't begrudge Jay actually wanting to earn some money after two decades of research and mostly free content. People pay orders of magnitude more to go to college.

Yeagerist

Kingfisher
Orthodox Catechumen
Adam Green and his minions are not only stupid but also dishonest. They took a video of Jay talking about how transhumanism apes the resurrection and edited it to make it look like he was preaching it.

Adam Green is spouting the neo-pagan bull$h1t narrative of Christianity being a psy-op by the Jews for the purpose of destroying the West, and in particular opening the borders to Islamic migrant invaders. Neo-pagans cannot answer the challenge of why didn't the European peoples lose their national identity right away when they converted to Christianity during the early Middle Ages—and in contrary, the concept of nation-states arose when Europeans moved away from feudalism and towards autocratic monarchy or republicanism.

Furthermore, this is such a cowardly practice from neo-pagans of accusing Christians of the evil things that Jews believe or think (like Adam accusing Jay of being a Gnostic Kabbalist), when Talmudic Judaism got its metaphysics largely from ancient Near Eastern paganism, which actually renders it more in line with Adam Green's worldview. Neo-paganism really just turns out to be atheist New Age larping but for far-rightists.

I have to give criticism towards Jay when it's due. This business model isn't feasible in today's Internet, and makes him come across as a grifter. Also, early warning signs of Jay going broke?

People who want to make a living from "online courses" want the benefits of being a tenured university professor without the bureaucratic constraints and the need to play politics with the higher-ups in academia. I have no problem with Jay wanting a high status career path, but knowing he's never gonna fit in the contemporary American university setting, he should try going expat somewhere in Eastern Europe and take up being a philosophy or theology professor.

OrthoSerb

Woodpecker
Orthodox
I have to give criticism towards Jay when it's due. This business model isn't feasible in today's Internet, and makes him come across as a grifter. Also, early warning signs of Jay going broke?
We live in times when college degrees cost six figures and don't always even give you skills which equip you for the real world. But an online course in the internet age which costs a tiny proportion of that is not feasible?

Also I'm sure this isn't Jay's only source of income, it's one thing of many he's involved in. He's not picked philosophy as the topic because he's looking to make Andrew Tate style money. He obviously loves the subject, hence why he's spent thousands of hours reading about it, writing books etc. That said I've realised over the last few years that a lot more people are interested in philosophy than I would have thought possible.

People who want to make a living from "online courses" want the benefits of being a tenured university professor without the bureaucratic constraints and the need to play politics with the higher-ups in academia. I have no problem with Jay wanting a high status career path, but knowing he's never gonna fit in the contemporary American university setting, he should try going expat somewhere in Eastern Europe and take up being a philosophy or theology professor.
I don't really follow your recommendation. You criticise teaching via the internet without being beholden to institutions and then recommend he tries to become a professor in Eastern Europe? The level of politics is just as high in Eastern Europe academia as it is in the West. He would have to negotiate that in a language and culture he doesn't fully understand and without any network or backers. And if he somehow pulled that off his reward is a fraction of the salary academics get in the West and the risk of being sacked the moment he doesn't toe the line. In Serbia some lecturers are not even at $1000 a month and are persecuted if they're not beholden to the political regime (who are in turn beholden to the globalists). There's never been a better time to bypass these institutions entirely.