Jiangxi Jiujiang Yongxiu dam suddenly breaks! (China flood/dam break thread)

the high

Woodpecker
I mentioned this in the China cold war thread but this is a major issue that the msm is largely ignoring. I'm thinking they hope China will get it under control before they have to say anything, not unlike the corona virus fiasco. This is one of the biggest yet least talked about events I think I may have ever seen. If the three gorges dam collapses and/or Wuhan gets flooded it could completely shift global politics.

The timing, just seems wrong for this...it smells fishy
There's conspiracy theories about America using weather manipulation weaponry to give China a once in a 100 year rain. But I've also heard that the Chinese in anticipation of a drought were cloud seeding. Hard to tell cause China is always so tight lipped about everything. Apparently when the three gorges dam was built in 2003 foreign engineers from Europe and America warned the Chinese that the dam wasn't being built under proper specifications.

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I mentioned this in the China cold war thread but this is a major issue that the msm is largely ignoring. I'm thinking they hope China will get it under control before they have to say anything, not unlike the corona virus fiasco. This is one of the biggest yet least talked about events I think I may have ever seen. If the three gorges dam collapses and/or Wuhan gets flooded it could completely shift global politics.

There's conspiracy theories about America using weather manipulation weaponry to give China a once in a 100 year rain. But I've also heard that the Chinese in anticipation of a drought were cloud seeding. Hard to tell cause China is always so tight lipped about everything. Apparently when the three gorges dam was built in 2003 foreign engineers from Europe and America warned the Chinese that the dam wasn't being built under proper specifications.
China has been addicted to weather manipulation for a long time, and the Olympics made them positively careless in its uses.

The dam was always going to be a hard lesson for them. They began under horrible conditions, and just plowed their way through the project with very little concern for the human lives it was ruining, and with it the erasure of the deep cultural and spiritual places.

When that dam filled up, the earth shifted. The largest watersheds in Asian were now funneled and controlled. Things that were never meant to reach the sea, reach the sea. The delta is a disaster. The lakes are disgusting. The power it produces runs some cool LED lightshows on the skyscrapers in their showcase cities. But the dam was poorly thought out, and was completed only because 'China'. They still throw up coal burning power plants like weeds.

If China was making it rain to bump crop productivity in the west to entice more emigration, I am not surprised. I would be surprised if they were not. Sow the rain, reap the flood. In a matter.

paninaro

Kingfisher

It's on the front page of CNN's website right now, albeit about half-way down: https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/19/weather/china-flood-ppe-supply-chain/index.html

I'm not surprised this is happening. Isn't it a massive project to redirect the flow of major rivers? Rivers don't like to be told what to do.

Enigma

Hummingbird
Gold Member
China also has tons of dams in the Mekong River, which is basically the lifeblood of Southeast Asia. In recent years, they've been creating artificial droughts in other countries by not allowing the water to flow naturally.

Foolsgo1d

Peacock
The dam you should be watching is the Three Gorges Dam. China has been hit with record levels of rain before the wet season began and it will continue for some time.

Upstream of the 3GD other dams are struggling too, with towns and cities flooding. If they keep water behind the dam it will overtop but releasing too much will devastate the downstream, including Wuhan. I've seen some good sources indicate the river basin has a lot of chemicals going into it which erodes concrete and degrades steal at a fast rate - very counter-productive to dam integrity.

The shear size of the 3GD has made it extremely difficult to manage this problem. If that dam fails the CCP will go with it.

ABeast

Robin
I guess this is good news for US farmers, though the food supply chains are getting so much distress I have to wonder if we may be in famine this winter also.

Enigma

Hummingbird
Gold Member
You would think that if there was one reasonable application of international law it would be to regulate international rivers.
There are already international laws that regulate international oceans -- and China does not follow them. This has been widely discussed for over 5 years, but we were assured that the Chinese are just peaceful nationalist merchants who dindu nuffin and international law is all a (((neocon))) conspiracy.

That ship sailed long ago.