Johnny Depp 51 to wed Amber Heard 27

DJ-Matt said:
he can't just send his lawyer most of the time?

Considering that they charge per hour, and a good one can cost between 200 $ and 800 $ per hour,
Johnny Depp will afford it, but a regular you or me... I am not so sure...

AneroidOcean

Hummingbird
Gold Member
usnar said:
DJ-Matt said:

Considering that they charge per hour, and a good one can cost between 200 $ and 800 $ per hour,

You guys are WOEFULLY uninformed.

The person with the most money is the one who is generally forced to pay for the lawyers.

Every penny Johnny Depp spends on his lawyer he'll likely have to pay for at least a penny for HER lawyer. You effectively end up paying for her lawyer and your lawyer to fight. Catch 22.

"Pro bono divorce lawyer"

:laugh:

Sources:
Source 1
Source 2
Source 3

AneroidOcean said:
usnar said:
DJ-Matt said:

The person with the most money is the one who is generally forced to pay for the lawyers.

You effectively end up paying for her lawyer and your lawyer to fight. Catch 22.

So things are worse than I thought.

Thanks for the insights

EvanWilson

Kingfisher
Gold Member
usnar said:
AneroidOcean said:
usnar said:
DJ-Matt said:

You effectively end up paying for her lawyer and your lawyer to fight. Catch 22.

Thanks for the insights

A true story to illustrate the point.

One of my relatives has his own law firm. One woman that he represented in a divorce case had a husband that refused to do anything to get the divorce done and over with as quickly as possible. The guy wouldn't sign papers, wouldn't appear in court, wouldn't hire a lawyer, etc. I assume the wife was looking to marry someone else or similar and this was his way of dragging the process out to make it not possible.

Well, the problem with dragging things out, as earlier posters have mentioned, is that the husband was going to have to cover all legal fees, both his and hers. On top of that, there was a marital home with all kinds of equity that needed to be sold in order for the assets to be divided, so her lawyer was just going to take the fees out of the proceeds for that, but the guy still was slowing down the process and running up the legal fees, meaning he was going to have less after it was all over.

AneroidOcean

Hummingbird
Gold Member
EvanWilson said:
usnar said:
AneroidOcean said:
usnar said:
DJ-Matt said:

Thanks for the insights

A true story to illustrate the point.

One of my relatives has his own law firm. One woman that he represented in a divorce case had a husband that refused to do anything to get the divorce done and over with as quickly as possible. The guy wouldn't sign papers, wouldn't appear in court, wouldn't hire a lawyer, etc. I assume the wife was looking to marry someone else or similar and this was his way of dragging the process out to make it not possible.

Well, the problem with dragging things out, as earlier posters have mentioned, is that the husband was going to have to cover all legal fees, both his and hers. On top of that, there was a marital home with all kinds of equity that needed to be sold in order for the assets to be divided, so her lawyer was just going to take the fees out of the proceeds for that, but the guy still was slowing down the process and running up the legal fees, meaning he was going to have less after it was all over.

It's worse in California than many other states, but other states aren't really all that far behind. A couple examples from this source:

California law and customs make a short-term marriage to a wealthy person or getting pregnant as a result of a one-night encounter with a wealthy person vastly more lucrative than attending college and working full time. California's community property laws would seem to preclude the possibility of instant riches if the wealthy partner's savings were accumulated prior to the marriage. Under the community property system a petitioner cannot ask for a share of the former spouse's premarital savings. However, the profit potential from having a child will automatically unlock the value in these savings. Jaffe explained that judges will impute 3 to 4 percent of the value of those premarital savings as income to the wealthier party. Plugging that imputed income into the state's child support formula will then result in a fraction of that 3 to 4 percent to be transferred as tax-free child support to the petitioner. Due to the low real returns ("real" meaning "adjusted for inflation") available from investments at the time of this writing (December 2013), effectively this results in 100 percent of the after-tax investment real return on those savings being transferred from the wealthier parent to the less wealthy parent over the 18 years during which child support is payable.

Child support in California stops at age 18 unless a child is still in high school, but in any case by age 19 and courts cannot order a parent to pay for college. Jaffe notes that "College funding is often included in a divorce settlement. Men get indignant when asked to agree to this in writing because in fact they don't mind paying money to support their child. What they don't like is giving money to their ex-wife. I'm representing one client right now who has been paying $14,000/month to his ex-wife. In addition to this he pays for 100 percent of the expenses: private schools, private tutors, medical/dental, lessons. He gives the mom a credit card to use for any additional expenses that the kids might have. She uses it to pay for parking meters in Beverly Hills so the bill is full of $1.50 charges. She just filed an action to increase her child support to $125,000 per month and told the press that the father wasn't paying any support." (For comparison, note that California pays foster parents $8,000 per year to take care of a child.)

How is child support calculated in California? "The statutes and formulas are so complicated that there is no accurate Web calculator as far as I know," says Jaffe. "Judges and lawyers use a commercial desktop computer program called Dissomaster. Unlike in some other states, there is no cap to child support. Right now I'm handling a case where the mother moved from New York to California to take advantage of these non-capped child support awards. The biological parents were never married and the father has no custodial time with the child. The father has a $30 million per year annual income. Dissomaster computes that the child support should be $154,931 per month."

Could this guy have to pay that much as a result of a casual encounter? "There is a 'high earner exception' that can lower these numbers but the burden of proof is on the father to prove that paying $154,931 per month exceeds the reasonable needs of this kid," says Jaffe.

Should the guy have to pay that much as a result of a casual encounter? Wagner says emphatically yes: "The child had nothing to say about being born or the wisdom of a one-night stand. That child should be supported exactly as if those parties had married and stayed married forever." Is he worried about an incentive structure where a one-night stand is more lucrative than going to college and working? "A judge would slap you silly if you pointed out that a plaintiff would be earning more from child support than from attending college and working," Wagner says. "Put yourself in the diaper of the child. Public policy says that he or she has a human right to be raised in the lifestyle of the two parents. If you don't like that philosophy get the hell out of California." Wagner explains that the current law came about because "California was ranked 45th in nation in late 1980s in the amount of child support obtainable. The legislature was astounded and created the current system. It is public policy that California will always be ranked among the top 5 states [in potential profits from child support]."

Svoboda

Kingfisher
Interesting how plenty of forum members were already calling her out and predicting this would happen when they got engaged.
Reading back, there were members complimenting Depp on upgrading to a younger sexier woman. But among those most mentioned he should not marry her.
To make things worse, he didn't even get a prenup.
Depp certainly isn't the only famous/rich guy getting played. Are these guys stupid?

The answer is both yes and no.
I'm assuming Depp doesn't do his own taxes. He'd hire someone for that. Or he has someone doing his finances year round. Depp hires someone for his taxes because he probably doesn't know shit about taxes. Does not knowing shit about taxes make Depp stupid? No. Depp knows he doesn't know anything about taxes and is smart enought to hire someone for it.
Rich people all have some guy or firm doing their taxes.

Does Depp know that he doesn't know shit about understanding lizards like Amber Heard? If so, maybe he should hire some forum member to do it for him.

JayR

Woodpecker
How is child support calculated in California? "The statutes and formulas are so complicated that there is no accurate Web calculator as far as I know," says Jaffe. "Judges and lawyers use a commercial desktop computer program called Dissomaster.

During the California portion of my custody battle with psycho-BPD-ex-GF, I actually paid $495 to get myself a copy of Dissomaster. I wanted to be able to run every possible scenario through the software so I could make "adjustments" to my income/expense declarations and protect my assets. Like most fathers referred to in the quoted content, I had no problem supporting my kid, but I had a big problem handing my money to a nutcase to fund her scorched-earth custody stunts.

cubanlinx

Woodpecker
Jariel was doing a series of Rich and Famous men getting played. Johnny Depp would be the latest contender.
Why the hell do these guys even get married? They have the whole world at their fingertips, not to mention the most decadent women ever.
And deeper connection? Just get into an LTR, with a couple hundred plates on the side. You're a male celebrity, revered all over the world. Idiot.

cubanlinx said:
Why the hell do these guys even get married? They have the whole world at their fingertips

The reason why few men still get married is the extreme social pressure from blue pill people living miserable lives.

debeguiled

Peacock
Gold Member
Fucking hell, this bitch is a beta-catnip witch:

Amber Heard And Elon Musk Are ‘Hanging Out,’ But Everyone Thinks They’re Dating

579268f21200002900a52f9c.png

puckerman

Ostrich
Amber Heard is a big fan of Ayn Rand. She's going to after a rich businessman, like any good Randian woman would.

I wonder if Rand herself suffered from borderline personality disorder. It's a safe bet that many women are into Rand have it.

seniol

Woodpecker
Elon Musk is down to losing billions in this year divorce.

Professional golddigger Amber Heard felt the smell of his billions,

and she knows Elon is dumb enough to actually marry again a golddigger whore