Judging Others, Pride and Arrogance

DelMarMisty

Sparrow
Woman
Pride and arrogance is something which is completely halting my ability to make true spiritual progress. I have fought this battle for years, but I constantly have this compulsion to judge others, feel like they are beneath me because of their lack of insight and depth. I don't know if this is just me, but I can't help but truly feel contempt for others. This in itself, makes me an unworthy Christian. My priest said pride is a grave sin, and I just continue to not be able to control myself. I feel like a fake Christian that parades around with icons, fasts and carries a cross yet I can't love people. No matter how many times I read the Bible and the Orthodox Fathers I keep falling deep back in this sin. I have improved, a tiny bit, but it is the biggest struggle of my life. There is no peace in this mindset, no real hope. I don't know whether my perception is bad, I tend to always feel like I understand people's ulterior motives to what they say and do and it makes me dislike everybody, especially right now with what is going on...

Does anybody struggle with this? Help! How can I overcome this obsession with people, their motives, their lack of intellect etc. Perhaps I'm projecting my own inadequacies?

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Does anybody struggle with this? Help! How can I overcome this obsession with people, their motives, their lack of intellect etc. Perhaps I'm projecting my own inadequacies?

Not all, not all, but some of the time. Recently I have found it hard to not respond to the stupidity of normies, who do whatever they are told, believe whatever they are told to by secular authorities. The past year has exposed how little you can rely, trust other people. The vast majority have no useful information; and we are in a system in which we are subjected to their anarcho-tyrannical push. And be continually assaulted by such people who are almost always wrong, can't make an argument and are 20 years behind the curve. But there is nothing that can be done about it.

A good video series I have seen that touches on this is -

Clean: https://invidious.himiko.cloud/watch?v=EO3cmpkvPAo

Multiple parts.

That I remember he talks of how when he was in a locally successful music group that was able to project itself as very cool. And how he lost himself in an ensuing feeling of being better than other people; and how this stops you from being able to communicate with others. I seem to remember him referring the phrase "it's lonely at the top", as successful people remove themselves from being able to communicate with the "profane" gen. pop.

I also like Jesse Lee Peterson on the topic of anger and resentment, though it is hard to find anything concise by him, as half the time he doesn't know who he is interviewing. But it doesn't stop the conveyor-belt of secular, atheist itellezuals ... intele.. Joel, what that word!? Intel- intelektualz, falling at his simple and anger-free lines of questioning. It exposes the extent to which people do not know what they are talking about and how they wrap themselves in all manner of things, like intelktuzlismz, that obscure the soul. Pride and the other sins are like concrete around the soul. When you communicate someone given to pride, you are not talking to their soul, but the encasing around it. To a great extent these encasings are protective mechanisms. If you have pride in yourself, you can use it to hide from other aspects of yourself.

Pride, as with other sin, has short-term benefits. It is the way of satanic offerings. First you are tempted with things have no secular downside, but material upside. But once you are lost, then Satan has trapped you and can extract fear, despair etc. from you.

With such things it is important to take it one-step at a time and not beat-yourself up about slipping. When you are removing yourself from sin, Satan then tries to attack you with another. In this case you are given to pride. In your attempt to relinquish yourself from it, you are becoming given to negative feelings of the self (sloth). When you are on the path, you must be patient and forgive yourself for your falls. Not forgiving yourself in itself is a sin. My reading is that we must seek a stasis between not being given to materially positive sins and the converse materially negative sins, e.g. pride vs. jealousy.

So a starting point would be to give yourself small goals, like not having contempt for your normie friend who pops her nut at you for being an anti-vaxxer.

Aboulia

Woodpecker
I share your pain. I don't even know how to talk to people anymore, nor do I know the purpose, for all have abandoned reason. We live in a bleak world, where the vast majority of people are entirely manipulated by media images. Try to look for the good in others, try to bring something positive to mind about the other person, remind yourself of your own shortcomings once a prideful thought occurs, as I'm sure you know humility is the best weapon against pride.

Reading into others ulterior motives may be a projection of our sinful mind onto the intentions of others. For we don't know the mind of others, we don't know their struggles, nor their pain. We don't know why people do what they do. All we can do is try to see the image of Christ in others, and attempt to bring it out. You can't do that if you disdain everyone. Try to make excuses here and there for their behaviour, and if you had their past, their history, and their mind, perhaps you would be more ignorant than them. Realize that by completely disdaining people, you may be driving them further into the arms of delusion.

What this may be also, is a self defence mechanism, to avoid getting hurt, because vulnerability can be terrifying, but just try to be kind to people, especially on this day of resurrection.

Christ is Risen!

DelMarMisty

Sparrow
Woman
Not all, not all, but some of the time. Recently I have found it hard to not respond to the stupidity of normies, who do whatever they are told, believe whatever they are told to by secular authorities. The past year has exposed how little you can rely, trust other people. The vast majority have no useful information; and we are in a system in which we are subjected to their anarcho-tyrannical push. And be continually assaulted by such people who are almost always wrong, can't make an argument and are 20 years behind the curve. But there is nothing that can be done about it.

Multiple parts.

That I remember he talks of how when he was in a locally successful music group that was able to project itself as very cool. And how he lost himself in an ensuing feeling of being better than other people; and how this stops you from being able to communicate with others. I seem to remember him referring the phrase "it's lonely at the top", as successful people remove themselves from being able to communicate with the "profane" gen. pop.

I also like Jesse Lee Peterson on the topic of anger and resentment, though it is hard to find anything concise by him, as half the time he doesn't know who he is interviewing. But it doesn't stop the conveyor-belt of secular, atheist itellezuals ... intele.. Joel, what that word!? Intel- intelektualz, falling at his simple and anger-free lines of questioning. It exposes the extent to which people do not know what they are talking about and how they wrap themselves in all manner of things, like intelktuzlismz, that obscure the soul. Pride and the other sins are like concrete around the soul. When you communicate someone given to pride, you are not talking to their soul, but the encasing around it. To a great extent these encasings are protective mechanisms. If you have pride in yourself, you can use it to hide from other aspects of yourself.

Pride, as with other sin, has short-term benefits. It is the way of satanic offerings. First you are tempted with things have no secular downside, but material upside. But once you are lost, then Satan has trapped you and can extract fear, despair etc. from you.

With such things it is important to take it one-step at a time and not beat-yourself up about slipping. When you are removing yourself from sin, Satan then tries to attack you with another. In this case you are given to pride. In your attempt to relinquish yourself from it, you are becoming given to negative feelings of the self (sloth). When you are on the path, you must be patient and forgive yourself for your falls. Not forgiving yourself in itself is a sin. My reading is that we must seek a stasis between not being given to materially positive sins and the converse materially negative sins, e.g. pride vs. jealousy.

So a starting point would be to give yourself small goals, like not having contempt for your normie friend who pops her nut at you for being an anti-vaxxer.

Multiple parts.

Thank you for your response. Very accurate. "Pride and the other sins are like concrete around the soul. When you communicate someone given to pride, you are not talking to their soul, but the encasing around it. To a great extent these encasings are protective mechanisms. If you have pride in yourself, you can use it to hide from other aspects of yourself" - this is very true and the 'concrete' can definitely be felt.

I just don't think I can ever reach that level of faith or connection with God unless I start to feel more love for others.

I have listened to Arsenije he offers a very deep and honest insight into these types of issues.

DelMarMisty

Sparrow
Woman
I share your pain. I don't even know how to talk to people anymore, nor do I know the purpose, for all have abandoned reason. We live in a bleak world, where the vast majority of people are entirely manipulated by media images. Try to look for the good in others, try to bring something positive to mind about the other person, remind yourself of your own shortcomings once a prideful thought occurs, as I'm sure you know humility is the best weapon against pride.

Reading into others ulterior motives may be a projection of our sinful mind onto the intentions of others. For we don't know the mind of others, we don't know their struggles, nor their pain. We don't know why people do what they do. All we can do is try to see the image of Christ in others, and attempt to bring it out. You can't do that if you disdain everyone. Try to make excuses here and there for their behaviour, and if you had their past, their history, and their mind, perhaps you would be more ignorant than them. Realize that by completely disdaining people, you may be driving them further into the arms of delusion.

What this may be also, is a self defence mechanism, to avoid getting hurt, because vulnerability can be terrifying, but just try to be kind to people, especially on this day of resurrection.

Christ is Risen!

"I don't even know how to talk to people anymore, nor do I know the purpose, for all have abandoned reason." This of course, is one of the biggest issues.

Thank you for your words, I will continue to pray.

Christ is Risen!