Juice Diet

Tom Slick

Kingfisher
Orthodox
What if you stop digging into weird woo-woo new age theories and actually start doing what you know you're supposed to be doing all along? People make excuses and delve into information to avoid action. You know exactly what to do. Work out, exercise, go for walks, eat moderate, skip the bullcrap food such as M&M's, coke, fries, and stop looking into all this weird extremist stuff to distract yourself.
Factory food is so toxic and addictive that for some people getting onto a fad diet for a while is one of the few ways to kick the habit, which is how I interpret the OP's topic and what the film is about: raw vegetable juicing was a way for the author and the trucker in the film to change their habits, which is very difficult to do.

Once you're past that hurdle, you can put the fads behind you and eat more normally, while selecting foods from a different place than where you've been conditioned, which is stuff that's advertised on TV.

Tom Slick

Kingfisher
Orthodox
It's worth trying as a life experience in my opinion, even if there are slightly more comfortable ways to lose weight (although most other than water fasting are slower by far).
I did not have a weight problem and was not aware of any diet issues, but I tried a juice fast on a lark for a little over a week and was fascinated by what happened. Had many of the same thoughts as yours.

rainy

Pelican
Other Christian
Great posts, guys! Very inspiring.

I have just ordered 35 bottles of (mostly veg) juice. I have decided that I will:

- skip breakfast, so I'll be fasting for about 16 hours.
- one bottle of juice (500 ml) for my lunch.
- substantial, low carb meal late in the day

I have discovered a kettle bell programme, that is pretty intense and I will cycle and do some walking too (I don't live in the most salubrious of areas, so it's not a great option).

I will let you know how I get on. If I'm not losing enough weight, I will perhaps do a proper juice fast at weekends. I work in an environment where I cannot just nip to the toilet whenever, unfortunately, so hoping this doesn't cause the symptoms described above. Maybe I will take a week's holiday and really detox.

Anyone see any issues with this?
Good luck. You should see results.

I would suggest tracking calories at least at the beginning so you have an idea of the daily deficit you're creating.

There's plenty of BMR calculators online. Although a general rule of thumb is multiplying body weight in lbs by 10. So 180 lbs will be about 1,800 daily BMR. Then figure out additional burned calories based on activity level. That "in general" will be about 500 calories. Plus any exercise. Of course, a laborer will have a higher activity level than working a desk job so all that should be accounted for but there's plenty of online calculators which will ball park it.

One other helpful thing would be to take measurements. Many times the weight on the scale might stall while you're losing body fat. Should notice your chest, stomach and quad region losing inches the quickest.

I've been thru this type of thing a number of times and for whatever the season I've found the most filling food per calorie to be hard boiled eggs. Also a can of sardines is filling and very good for you.

Pointy Elbows

Pelican
Orthodox
What if you stop digging into weird woo-woo new age theories and actually start doing what you know you're supposed to be doing all along? People make excuses and delve into information to avoid action. You know exactly what to do. Work out, exercise, go for walks, eat moderate, skip the bullcrap food such as M&M's, coke, fries, and stop looking into all this weird extremist stuff to distract yourself.
I agree with everything you say, but OP is trying to lose 28 lbs that he slowly gained over the last 2 years. I bet that's 7 BMI points. He can go slow mode and take years to lose it, or he can purge and lose weight quickly, then go to a moderate diet. It depends on his time sensitivity.

I was once 50 lbs overweight. I took 4+ years of steady bad habits to get there. I'm not proud of it. To be in top shape, I had to do something extreme. My woo-woo diet was a "lifestyle change" for me, and I don't regret it.

Once I lost the weight, I did exactly as you advised and maintained a low BMI for 8+ years. I can maintain weight well with meat & veggies, plus exercise. If I eat junk, potatoes, or bread, I gain.

Great posts, guys! Very inspiring.

I have just ordered 35 bottles of (mostly veg) juice. I have decided that I will:

- skip breakfast, so I'll be fasting for about 16 hours.
- one bottle of juice (500 ml) for my lunch.
- substantial, low carb meal late in the day

I have discovered a kettle bell programme, that is pretty intense and I will cycle and do some walking too (I don't live in the most salubrious of areas, so it's not a great option).

I will let you know how I get on. If I'm not losing enough weight, I will perhaps do a proper juice fast at weekends. I work in an environment where I cannot just nip to the toilet whenever, unfortunately, so hoping this doesn't cause the symptoms described above. Maybe I will take a week's holiday and really detox.

Anyone see any issues with this?
Good luck and thanks for posting. I wish you well.

Viktor Zeegelaar

Crow
Orthodox Inquirer
I agree with everything you say, but OP is trying to lose 28 lbs that he slowly gained over the last 2 years. I bet that's 7 BMI points. He can go slow mode and take years to lose it, or he can purge and lose weight quickly, then go to a moderate diet. It depends on his time sensitivity.

I was once 50 lbs overweight. I took 4+ years of steady bad habits to get there. I'm not proud of it. To be in top shape, I had to do something extreme. My woo-woo diet was a "lifestyle change" for me, and I don't regret it.

Once I lost the weight, I did exactly as you advised and maintained a low BMI for 8+ years. I can maintain weight well with meat & veggies, plus exercise. If I eat junk, potatoes, or bread, I gain.

Good luck and thanks for posting. I wish you well.
Alright, I've never lost weight myself, but I look at video's from 1910 New York and everyone is bone thin. I don't think anyone would've spoken about a juice, fruit keto or whatever fancy diet back then but just eaten low fat low sugar diet and made sure they moved during the day. People especially men chronically overcomplexify things and then go on to justify why they do it, hence my kinda tough love reaction when I see it :).

C-Note

Hummingbird
Other Christian
Gold Member
Juicing has been a fairly important part of my diet for several years now. I have an auger/masticating juicer and a Vitamix (high-power blender). They both have their pros and cons. The masticating juicer takes a long time, from cutting up the fruits and vegetables, to the clean-up, it can take up to an hour to make a glass of juice. The problem with the Vitamix is that after I put in the vegetables and fruits, it ends up making about three pints of green goop because it blends up all the matter- nothing gets thrown away. I have a hard time imbibing three pints of vegetable paste in a single sitting.

I've had the most success with a smoothie blender. It may seem like the kind of gimmicky thing that a woman would use, but I've found a way to make it work. I put in frozen berries (antioxidants), frozen citrus fruit (Vitamins), apple cider vinegar, tart cherry juice, frozen avocado, a dab of Greek yogurt (unsweetened & unflavored), dash of almond butter, a raw egg, green powder (dehydrated greens like wheat grass, kale, spinach, etc), beet powder, carrot powder, a banana, and some almond or oat or coconut water. It takes about 10 minutes to get it put together, five minutes to drink it down, and about 1-minute to clean the blender. I feel fantastic afterwards and it fills my stomach for about three hours, so it's an effective meal substitute. The vegetable powders do a good job of giving me some vegetable juice, albeit without as much fiber, but the banana helps with that.

Some of the ingredients are a little expensive. A 12-oz bottle of tart cherry juice, for example, can cost $12. The vegetable powders can also be a little pricey, such as $20 for a 10-oz container.
Smoothie blender.jpg

Last edited: