Just how broke are the metropolitan areas now?

DenizenJane

Pigeon
If you look for news oped articles on this, its only more speculation, because all the editors use 'projected loss' alot.

Its clear that football season in the U.S is probably going to be strictly televised for the upcoming fall (I care nothing for football, by the way).
Every major city is really set up like a Las Vegas on a smaller scale- entertainment is crucial to the budget. So writing off an entire season of ticket sales at the physical stadium, plus the high parking fees in the lot outside, can add up to losing, say $300 per person, per weekend (12 sundays for a season?) of a ball stadium that holds 20000 seats. That comes to 72 million dollars. This really isn't the way to run things at all, but the point is, they have anyway, and I can't see any revenue source that will remotely make up for it, and on such short notice.

The full lockdowns earlier in the year accounts for what I call 'the black zone', where the payroll, state, and sales taxes plummeted the most. I think the revenue they lost from suspended employment was really only modest, as there would still a good chunk of essential or remote workers all over the country who stayed on the rolls. But many restaurants, pretty much all bars, and all municipal events were nullified for about two months. Since then we've got a slow walking start to a somewhat normal economy, but the trend is pretty clear that any large scale events that aren't protests got the clip even to the end of the year.

I just don't buy the "its just a recession bro" anymore, and its eerie how nobody talks about the abysmal financial shape of the largest cities- and the U.S states in general.

Is everyone just assuming that a big bailout is coming?

Easy_C

Crow
Some writers with behind the scenes access say yes. Supposedly there was a deal made where blue governors will deliberately try to make things as bad as possible and be rewarded with a bailout once Trump is gotten out of the way.

It’s not going to be that easy and may not be the ultimate goal but we do know that your average blue city mayor is dumb enough to think fixing the economy actually is as easy as printing some money to throw at it.

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member
In my small town things are OK. There should be enough money from property taxes to pay for the roads, school, police. Trash is paid for by taxes, everyone here gets free trash pickup.

In bigger cities the tentacles go everywhere. So many things need money and its not there.

The big loss here is that a few places closed their doors and announced big sales to clear everything out. A few restaurants are gone, but others let workers go and became very lean. Sadly the fast food McGarbage is going strong.

I can not imagine the losses that NYC, Chicago, Detroit will be facing. Billions and Billions are not there. Plus its getting worse everyday and people with money are gone. If you have 200 million there are better things to do than deal with some asshole Mayor or Governor making stupid laws. Go somewhere and relax, go skiing, hit the islands. Big cities are doomed right now.

Salinger

Woodpecker
I can not imagine the losses that NYC, Chicago, Detroit will be facing. Billions and Billions are not there. Plus its getting worse everyday and people with money are gone. If you have 200 million there are better things to do than deal with some asshole Mayor or Governor making stupid laws. Go somewhere and relax, go skiing, hit the islands. Big cities are doomed right now.
Tucker was just talking about this on his show tonight. All of the rich are leaving New York and fleeing to places like Florida.

Easy_C

Crow
to assess where high paying jobs are, use LinkedIN because that site tends to get more office jobs and less retail/labor jobs.

Compare numbers in Florida vs NY state

infowarrior1

Hummingbird
I think lots of City buildings would have to be demolished and everything that can be salvaged should be salvaged from the rubble. Just like Detroit is demolishing many buildings to clean up the city.

Sombro

Ostrich
Minneapolis Tells Residents With Riot-Wrecked Buildings They Can’t Clean Up Until They’ve Paid Their 2020 Property Taxes in Full.

You see, you can't rebuild or do anything useful with your land until you've cleared off the rubble left on it by the rioting. And you can't do that without a permit, of course. Minneapolis is a city of order, after all.

And you can't get the permit without paying off your 2020 property tax bill in full. As a result, only around 20 wrecked buildings have been demolished, according to the city.
https://reason.com/2020/08/13/minne...heyve-paid-their-2020-property-taxes-in-full/

DenizenJane

Pigeon
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loc...-this-month-bowling-alleys-on-monday/2568000/

I don't know exactly what they are trying to do here. This seems like a half-hearted way to trinkle in some money.

Most of the other states who have visitors come there are told to quarantine for two weeks upon entering the city. Two contigious weeks is a generous vacation time in here in the U.S, and it would still be most vacationer's entire trip- a complete waste. Well, that's who the museums are catered to. So why bother opening? Have you been to the museum in your town? Have you bothered to go more than once? The bowling alleys opening are a favor to the acutal residents, I assume.

Blade Runner

Kingfisher
I can say, with nearly 100% certainty, in my mid-sized metro, the business communities, cities, and counties are obscenely, obscenely bankrupt as we go into 2021. Being privy, I know that the private conversations are basically everyone believes the Feds are going to bail us all out.

That's the plan. Not even joking.
When does "bankrupt" actually mean we can't pay bills, these retirees pensions, have to cut most services, etc? A lot of cities have been bankrupt for a long time. We all know the math, but can kicking is their specialty.

Easy_C

Crow
I can say, with nearly 100% certainty, in my mid-sized metro, the business communities, cities, and counties are obscenely, obscenely bankrupt as we go into 2021. Being privy, I know that the private conversations are basically everyone believes the Feds are going to bail us all out.

That's the plan. Not even joking.
That jives with I’ve heard. Supposedly a deal has been made where blue state mayors and governors will try to make as big as a mess of possible in order to get rid of Trump, and then once he’s out the feds bail out those areas AND their insolvent pension funds.

EndlessGravity

Woodpecker
When does "bankrupt" actually mean we can't pay bills, these retirees pensions, have to cut most services, etc? A lot of cities have been bankrupt for a long time. We all know the math, but can kicking is their specialty.
We were mostly solvent but with budgets based on growth that wasn't sustainable. We have seen some of that growth over the past 5 years but it was stupid for everyone to think it would last without even a hiccup.

Blade Runner

Kingfisher
How many months, or years, can these places last though, before they actually have to pay the piper? I saw Chicago was going to try a "pension bond" soon, lol

wojak

Pigeon
My guess is that things like pensions and other employer-funded benefits will become a thing of the past in time. There won't be any money, and these things will disappear because black history month and gay pride parades take funding priority. Future generations will work till 90 and never know that pensions ever existed - it will be like something out of a fairy tale.

I see my city spend money on the most retarded things, while our roads are a mess and our tap water isn't potable, and criminals burn the city and assault people in the streets with impunity. As taxpayers get fed up and leave, and only the low-life parasites remain, we'll see this issue come to a head even faster.

ABeast

Robin
Can't they just import more people and then put that on the books as future tax revenue so that the loans keep coming? That appears to be the game we have been playing, so if people flee the cities then it just makes it easier to import replacement populations.

EndlessGravity

Woodpecker
Can't they just import more people and then put that on the books as future tax revenue so that the loans keep coming? That appears to be the game we have been playing, so if people flee the cities then it just makes it easier to import replacement populations.
Yes but there becomes a point of diminishing returns as the numbers become incomprehensible and half the country turns into the third world.

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Look at the Twin Cities. They invited Somalians. Just a stupid idea to begin with, but they kept it up.

I saw a video last year, maybe from here? A white guy in the Twin Cities was sitting somewhere near a large group of young black Somalians. Maybe 10? He was looking at his phone. They got closer. There was some talk that looked to get serious. Then they beat him up. I dont remember the details clearly but the guy was seriously injured.

It was captured on security video.

EDIT FOUND THE VIDEO******

https://www.gloucestercitynews.net/...llphone-thieves-beat-man-in-minneapolis-.html

Also hilarious are the MSM "news stories". This is NOT what it looks like. Just because a group of Somalians beat a guy near to death for no reason, doesnt mean it wasnt the clueless white guys fault it started. He could have said Nigger! So there! Hahaha

Here is an example. They say "It might have just been ghetto blacks, then its ok." That is really what they say.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/...n-in-minneapolis-but-facts-wont-stop-the-hate

EDIT END************

Invite the 3rd world, get 3rd world problems of roving gangs of young Africans that act like roving gangs of Africans.

Even 15 years ago I had a large group of Twin Cities friends from work and they would talk about Somalians standing on street corners all day, not working, selling drugs.

Look up St. Cloud MN. City increased by 33%, mostly Somalians in some plan hatched by an NGO. It has a college and now noone wants to go there because the city went to crap, as everyone guessed it would.

These small 6th tier no name state colleges in backwater towns that also tried to go full SJW retard and important 30k Africans with zero English skills and no desire to work. They are doomed. Sell the house now and get out.

Just like factory towns died when the factory went to China. These small college towns will implode when the colleges go banrupt.

https://www.startribune.com/telling-the-other-side-of-the-st-cloud-story/511975072/

Telling the other side of the St. Cloud story
A number of groups and leaders are working to make the city more welcoming.
By Editorial Board Star Tribune

JUNE 28, 2019 — 6:09PM

A recent New York Times story put a national focus on the city of St. Cloud as a bastion of racist, anti-immigrant sentiment.
It described a group called C-Cubed, or Concerned Community Citizens, that shares President Donald Trump’s anti-immigration positions and meets regularly to discuss what its members call St. Cloud’s immigrant crisis.
Even before that story, local media had documented St. Cloud’s “White Cloud” image and problems with racism and discrimination. But it’s also important to acknowledge that the central Minnesota city of 70,000 is not taking those hateful, uninformed, racist deeds and words lying down.
St. Cloud’s population increased 33% over the past 30 years, with the share of nonwhite residents growing from 2% to 18%, mostly because of an influx of East African immigrants from Somalia, Kenya and Ethiopia. In response, there have been anti-Muslim events and incidents, and even an unsuccessful legal effort to ban resettlement.

But local news media, including the Star Tribune, also have featured stories on a number of constructive efforts to counter racism. Among those initiatives:
• Beginning in 2017, Hudda Ibrahim and her husband, Abdi Mahad, started inviting St. Cloud residents to their apartment for a bimonthly event called “Dine and Dialogue with your Muslim neighbor.” Hudda, a Somali refugee who teaches diversity and social justice at St. Cloud Technical and Community College, started the meetings to allow people to ask questions during civil conversations. The sessions attracted so many people that they had to move the event from their home to a larger venue. “The goal,” she said, “is to bring people together to discuss who they are and share their experiences ... We have barriers. Let’s talk about those things.”

#UniteCloud is a grassroots group that describes its mission as providing “education and actionable steps to resolve tension.” The group strives to “foster an empathetic community that chooses to stand up for one another … regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, abilities, or socio-economic background … that will lead to sense of greater safety and hope — and a decrease in fear and suspicion.”

• St. Cloud Mayor Dave Kleis lists the city’s long-established Create Community program as another effort to bring together people from across the city. In addition, for several years the mayor has invited seven strangers to his house for dinner each month.
Kleis told an editorial writer that the evening the Times story came out, he attended a pot luck dinner at an Islamic center. He said he talked with one of the Somali women quoted in the story for several hours, and she’s now helping with St. Cloud’s youth commission.
“ I don’t agree with some of the actions of groups [like C-Cubed],” Kleis said. “And I denounce any group or individual that focuses on hate, division and unconstitutional acts.”
Kleis and others in St. Cloud aren’t simply sitting back and allowing anti-immigrant forces to rule the day. They’re proactively working to dispel myths, welcome newcomers and combat racism and xenophobia. They deserve praise and support for their efforts.