Keto diet experiences?

Unikorn

Sparrow
A good way to lose fat but for a lot of people is hard to deal with and in long term you will lose muscle most likely because you intensity, strength and energy will be lower.
That is something i have experienced and a lot of people as well... I wouldn't recommend it for fitness proposes, and obviously if you are bulking even less.

I would use it maybe if you wanna lose the last fat on a cut, if you wanna go...under 7% of bf or something like that. But i wouldn't advise it

ChefAllDay

Kingfisher
I started hard core Keto 4 months ago after dabbling in it last summer, down 32 lbs since then. I physically work pretty hard most days and never bothered lifting as I have always been practically stronger than all my friends, however I recently bought a "smart scale" that reads muscle mass, etc. I know they are not 100% accurate but I was surprised to see my skeletal muscle mass was much lower than I expected, and apparently below optimal.

So I started lifting last week, something I have never been overly interested in. We will see where that goes in the next few months, will be tougher at my age I suspect, but fuck it. We gotta do what we gotta do.

Keto is the shit. I think it works better with body exercises as opposed to weight lifting, because your body gets as lean as it can go. This makes body weight exercises more efficient.

FullThrottleTX

Banned
Just do Paleo.
Same diet as Keto but you can eat more fruits and veggies and don't have to count calories.
There isn't a reason to deplete your calories/carbs when you cut the bad shit out.

ChefAllDay

Kingfisher
Unikorn said:
A good way to lose fat but for a lot of people is hard to deal with and in long term you will lose muscle most likely because you intensity, strength and energy will be lower.
That is something i have experienced and a lot of people as well... I wouldn't recommend it for fitness proposes, and obviously if you are bulking even less.

I would use it maybe if you wanna lose the last fat on a cut, if you wanna go...under 7% of bf or something like that. But i wouldn't advise it

Wow, you have no clue. After 6 months on Keto I am down 38 lbs, started lifting and have more energy, all at 48.

ChefAllDay

Kingfisher
FullThrottleTX said:
Just do Paleo.
Same diet as Keto but you can eat more fruits and veggies and don't have to count calories.
There isn't a reason to deplete your calories/carbs when you cut the bad shit out.

Paleo is great for basic health, but if you are trying to lose lbs, you need the science behind keto. I have done both, and keto is by far superior for cutting

FullThrottleTX said:
Just do Paleo.

Yeah, cutting out all carbs is way different. There's no comparison for running on carbs vs running on fats, no matter how healthy the carbs are. Also remember that todays fruits have been modified by man to be as sweet as they are today. The bananas of yesteryear would be as sweet as a bale of kale.

FullThrottleTX

Banned
ChefAllDay said:
FullThrottleTX said:
Just do Paleo.

Paleo is great for basic health, but if you are trying to lose lbs, you need the science behind keto. I have done both, and keto is by far superior for cutting

The science says it's bad for you - bad for your kidneys, breath, energy levels, brain...
There are no quick fixes to losing weight and getting on a healthy track and the low carb fad is just one of those quick fixes that has some bad side effects and not to mention, is not sustainable. You end up spending a fortune on "low carb" products to make up for it... Big racket.

FullThrottleTX said:
ChefAllDay said:
FullThrottleTX said:
Just do Paleo.

The science says it's bad for you - bad for your kidneys, breath, energy levels, brain...
There are no quick fixes to losing weight and getting on a healthy track and the low carb fad is just one of those quick fixes that has some bad side effects and not to mention, is not sustainable. You end up spending a fortune on "low carb" products to make up for it... Big racket.

You don't need to buy 'low carb products'. All you need is high quality butter, pink salt, magnesium, cream of tartar (potassium) and fatty ground beef when push comes to shove. There are no special products you need like ketone powder or amino acids or even protein powder. In fact, the main supplements I take are electrolytes and fermented veggies (in water and salt, not vinegar, more good gut bacteria). And ketones have been proven to leave less waste in the body, produce energy more effectively, as well as increase life span, so there's that.

Check your studies. I've seen studies done with vegetable oils (terrible for your health), as well as incorrect macros for ketosis (too many carbs and protein, not enough fat). You really have to know what to look for in a study before you consider it legit. Bad studies are what got the world into the obesity crisis in the first place.

keta doesnt make you burn fat any faster than a high carb diet.
You will also lose strength faster than you would than if you were on a high carb diet=more muscle loss over time.

I am not anti keto nor pro keto just stating the facts. do what works best for you. Everyone responds differently. Some do better with high carb, some do better with low carb, some do better with no carbs etc. Main thing is cravings. Some people cant do high carb due to cravings so they need things like keto or low carb dieting.

TravelingBodybuilder said:
You will also lose strength faster than you would than if you were on a high carb diet=more muscle loss over time.

I am not anti keto nor pro keto just stating the facts for some bs i read in this thread about keto making you burn fat faster.... Because it doesnt and you will also lose strength faster. But the benefits of keto in some people can mean reduced appetite which can help with fat loss.. So people need to find what works for them because everyones body is different. Try high carb cutting, try low carb cutting.. Try medium... Try carbless... Find out what best works for you. If Keto allows you to lose weight without binging then stick with keto... But just know you will lose muscle faster on keto than on a high carb diet. But some people may not able to lose fat on a high carb diet because they get bad cravings... So they may need keto yes...and will be worth the strength/muscle loss in some if they get bad cravings on carb diet. all depends on the person.

high carb is best but the cravings suck so i prefer low carb and dont mind the strength loss/muscle. keto i never tried. I dont think its healthy. Your brain needs some sugars to function at normal levels. But if you cant lose weight without keto, than stick with keto.. do what works best for you.. just my 2 cents

Definitely to each their own. Keto is restrictive, and it kinda dampers social life sometimes, since most don't keto. However, I have to point out that keto does offer faster fat loss, because the body isn't as simple as cals in, cals out. Keto changes the way the body deals with fat. These changes cause faster weight loss, longer life, and other cool shit.

The body has the ability to make it's own glucose for the brain (Gluconeogenesis). If we didn't have this ability, we would have never survived the long, carb-less winters of the north. As for strength loss... I mean, look at Shawn Baker, Thomas DeLauer, or Vince Gironda.

edit: I know that you lose a bit of strength (especially for weight lifters) but it's not like you turn into a twig.

ElMexicano

Sparrow
Since turning 40, I’ve always been on the “better than ok” body looking wise since I’ve been working out since I was 16.
Having turned 40 I’ve not let the age factor affect me, but decided to aim for looking better physically than I was in my 20s (having a 21y/o gf helps motivate me) and have overhauled my workouts and especially diet, which brings us to Keto.
Since starting 6 weeks ago, my side fat or love handles have disappeared completely and have loads of energy.

My routine is:
M-W-F fasted gym workouts as soon as waking doing only HIIT (using P90X3) techniques.
upon arriving at home (bulletproof coffee with collagen protein) then off for client meetings.
Tues and Thursdays weight training evenings focusing mostly on legs shoulders and arms with heavy weights, 3-5 reps sets focusing on TUT lowering the weight of 6-10 seconds.

Lunches and dinner consist of meats, fish and cruciferous veggies aiming to keep total daily carbs under 20g

Perhaps I would have even better results going strictly Keto, but I have a life and Saturdays and Sundays are for carbs, cheat meals and alcohol.

My personal results as of 6 weeks besides the love handle disappearance has been an increase in muscle mass and strength, I have surpassed my maxes in benches, squats and power cleans following the Keto diet and workout routine above.

Good luck to all!

whitewashedblackguy said:

I am not anti keto nor pro keto just stating the facts for some bs i read in this thread about keto making you burn fat faster.... Because it doesnt and you will also lose strength faster. But the benefits of keto in some people can mean reduced appetite which can help with fat loss.. So people need to find what works for them because everyones body is different. Try high carb cutting, try low carb cutting.. Try medium... Try carbless... Find out what best works for you. If Keto allows you to lose weight without binging then stick with keto... But just know you will lose muscle faster on keto than on a high carb diet. But some people may not able to lose fat on a high carb diet because they get bad cravings... So they may need keto yes...and will be worth the strength/muscle loss in some if they get bad cravings on carb diet. all depends on the person.

high carb is best but the cravings suck so i prefer low carb and dont mind the strength loss/muscle. keto i never tried. I dont think its healthy. Your brain needs some sugars to function at normal levels. But if you cant lose weight without keto, than stick with keto.. do what works best for you.. just my 2 cents

Definitely to each their own. Keto is restrictive, and it kinda dampers social life sometimes, since most don't keto. However, I have to point out that keto does offer faster fat loss, because the body isn't as simple as cals in, cals out. Keto changes the way the body deals with fat. These changes cause faster weight loss, longer life, and other cool shit.

The body has the ability to make it's own glucose for the brain (Gluconeogenesis). If we didn't have this ability, we would have never survived the long, carb-less winters of the north. As for strength loss... I mean, look at Shawn Baker, Thomas DeLauer, or Vince Gironda.

edit: I know that you lose a bit of strength (especially for weight lifters) but it's not like you turn into a twig.

I've never seen a study that supports this. It causes a faster weight loss. But it is just water weight loss, not actual fat loss being loss faster. Since carbs hold water, you eliminate carbs and you lose water weight.

Study by Kevin Hall, two months in metabolic ward. In short, no fat loss advantage to Keto dieting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiUyjMjuLl0

cf43246a526f05365930f49d80bc12b2.jpg

http://www.thenutritionwonk.com/#!I...of-Obesity-Over/cmbz/5726e6810cf26b6d6848a8f8

Keto diets offer no benefit for fat loss and absolutely can affect performance. While higher fat is more satiating, that doesn't somehow magically circumvent thermodynamics. Still kcals in vs kcals out

Chris Voigt. Voigt ate nothing but potatoes between Oct. 1 and Dec. 1. He had them for breakfast, lunch and dinner — about 20 potatoes per day prepared in a variety of ways. His weight dropped from 197 pounds to 176 pounds and his cholesterol level fell 67 points. Lots of carbs, all the time.

When you eat something, your body doesn't have any idea what it is- it recognizes C, H, O, and N. That's it. That's all. A calorie is a calorie. Why would you think otherwise?

Chris Voigt. Voigt ate nothing but potatoes between Oct. 1 and Dec. 1. He had them for breakfast, lunch and dinner — about 20 potatoes per day prepared in a variety of ways. His weight dropped from 197 pounds to 176 pounds and his cholesterol level fell 67 points. Lots of carbs, all the time.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40424...ys-nothing-spuds-leaves-advocate-lbs-lighter/

Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University. Haub lost "27 pounds in 10 weeks subsisting almost exclusively on Twinkies, Doritos, Oreos and other treats by ensuring that he consumed fewer calories than he burned."

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/06/health/la-he-fitness-twinkie-diet-20101206

macros don't matter when it comes to cutting. The research is absolute on this.

Here is one of many, many trials demonstrating just this:

"Comparison of Weight-Loss Diets with Different Compositions of Fat, Protein, and Carbohydrates" Frank M. Sacks, M.D., et al. N Engl J Med 2009; 360:859-873February 26, 2009

Set-up:
Group one: 15f/65c/20f
Group two: 25p/55c/20f
Group three: 15p/45c/40f
Group four: 25p/35c/40f

Out of the 811 people, 645 completed the entire two years, and the results showed, "Reduced-calorie diets result in clinically meaningful weight loss regardless of which macronutrients they emphasize."

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0804748

Also the athletes you mentioned are on steroids. So they will still be pretty muscular even with keto diets.

ChefAllDay

Kingfisher
I am not anti keto nor pro keto just stating the facts for some bs i read in this thread about keto making you burn fat faster....

Yes, it's all BS. You are clearly the smartest one in the room.

That said, I am now down 46lbs (9 inched off the waist), and I am stronger with more energy than I had at 30 (48 now). Still at 22% bodyfat (down from around 33) so I have another 6 or 7% to go.

Not sure how it happened if Keto is BS that doesn't work.

Speculation

Kingfisher
Protestant
I'm on keto now too and have been for a few weeks. Already lost a few kilograms and have more mental clarity and focus. I don't know how other peoples' bodies react, but mine clearly sheds fat on this diet. I couldn't give a shit what disputing 'studies' say.

Keto diets offer no benefit for fat loss and absolutely can affect performance. While higher fat is more satiating, that doesn't somehow magically circumvent thermodynamics. Still kcals in vs kcals out

Bro, ketones function in the body way differently than glucose. It's why the military is looking at using the diet for special forces. Ketones are a cleaner, more efficient source of energy. Fats raise your insulin less than carbs do (which causes insulin sensitivity, which is good), so you don't store as much fat in the first place. Many people report clearer mental function, more endurance, and more energy because ketones are a better source of energy.

You don't get high blood ketone levels with a carb based diet. This diet changes how the body functions on a cellular level. People's bodies get low blood sugar, use less insulin, and don't feel the need to eat every 3 hours, all with the same amount of cals. Also, keto has been used to treat epilepsy since the 1920's. So yes, it is more than cals in, cals out.

edit: you can get high blood ketones with a carb based diet, but normally that's with high blood sugar because the body became insulin resistant or the pancreas stopped working (fancy ways of saying diabetes). That is ketoacidosis, which is bad. But, eat no sugar (all carbs), get low blood sugar, become insulin sensitive, get into ketosis (which is great).

Carbs and fats have totally different properties. Saying they function exactly the same (cals in, cals out) is like saying you can build a body without protein. It's all cals, so just eat nothing but rice, right? It'll be way cheaper.

MikeS

Pelican
ChefAllDay said:
FullThrottleTX said:
Just do Paleo.

If you're trying to lose weight all you need is to be in a caloric deficit. You could live on ice cream and burgers and lose weight if you keep below your daily caloric needs - though it certainly wouldn't be a particularly healthy diet.

I have yet to see any compelling, science backed evidence that all these fad diets - new or old - do much more than, for many people, making it easier to stay in that needed caloric deficit (some very slight variations in metabolism, insulin related fat storage mechanisms etc. might come into play, but vastly less impactful than the simple caloric deficit).
But that of course is in itself valuable enough to recommend some of healthier fad diets. I'm not convinced keto qualifies as healthy, certainly not long-term, though paleo probably does.

Keto has some pretty good backings. Just looking and hearing the results of others is enough for me. It was also used to cure epilepsy in the 1920's, and is still used for that purpose today. If a diet can help cure a problem in the brain, it must have some pretty solid benefits for human health.