Keto diet experiences?

Coja Petrus Uscan

Crow
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
It seems apparant that diets affect people differently. I tired a low-carb diet (don't know if it was keto) and it made no difference. I'm able to eat huge or small quantities and it makes no difference. Recently I've tried a diet of only vegetables, protein powder and vitamins. This is the only diet that's made a difference for me. It could be the protein powder, which I've be sluffing at about 200-300g per day. But it also leaves me feeling lighter. No problems with strength or muscle. Only issue is hunger.

gework said:
It seems apparant that diets affect people differently. I tired a low-carb diet (don't know if it was keto) and it made no difference. I'm able to eat huge or small quantities and it makes no difference. Recently I've tried a diet of only vegetables, protein powder and vitamins. This is the only diet that's made a difference for me. It could be the protein powder, which I've be sluffing at about 200-300g per day. But it also leaves me feeling lighter. No problems with strength or muscle. Only issue is hunger.

The ratio should be %70-80 high quality fat, %5 carbs or less, and the rest protein (%15-%30). It helps to count and weigh your macros when you're first starting, so you can get the gist of what that looks like. If you were eating too much protein or carbs, you don't get the benefits of keto

And speaking of too much protein, be careful bro. I don't know how your body is handling all that protein, but too much could to poisoning:

The liver and kidneys play key roles in the metabolism of proteins. When excessive amounts are consumed, it can put the body at risk for increased levels of ammonia, urea, and amino acids in the blood. Although very rare, protein poisoning can be fatal because of these increased levels.

joost

Pelican
JiggyLordJr said:
Been on the keto diet for 3 years, I can say without reasonable doubt that it is the best diet out there. This is because for the vast majority of human history, men have been carnivores, and women have been omnivores. Keto works because it's what our bodies have evolved to do.

Having done this for so long, I've accumulated a vast body of knowledge on keto, and have dispelled many myths thrown at me by the carb-obsessed. If anyone would like me to drop a data sheet, I'd be more than happy to.

My diet consists of 300g carbs, 150g protein and 50g of fat. My body fat is around 7.5% (using a OMRON body fat analyzer).
Source of protein is whey, oat flour for carbs and olive oil for fats. I eat plenty of red meat and fruits.

Do you think I can get to less body fat and increase muscle mass in Keto? I tried for a month and I just lost a lot of weight.

What source of fat do you use? Something that's accessible and cheap. Butter? Drink a bunch of canola oil everyday? It's hard to find a good source of fat since they put sugar in everything.

What your diet consist of?

joost said:
My diet consists of 300g carbs, 150g protein and 50g of fat. My body fat is around 7.5% (using a OMRON body fat analyzer).
Source of protein is whey, oat flour for carbs and olive oil for fats. I eat plenty of red meat and fruits.

Do you think I can get to less body fat and increase muscle mass in Keto? I tried for a month and I just lost a lot of weight.

What source of fat do you use? Something that's accessible and cheap. Butter? Drink a bunch of canola oil everyday? It's hard to find a good source of fat since they put sugar in everything.

What your diet consist of?

For the love of god, don't chug canola oil. Butter and heavy cream are great places to start. Fatty meats and pretty much any animal fat. The only ok plant oils are coconut and olive, but it's best to stick to animal fats. I chugged coconut oil and threw up once, but I did the same thing with heavy cream and felt fine, just full.

If you're doing keto right, you'll start to be lean and muscular without even trying. It's really a joke how easy to stay in shape eating foods that are supposed to be bad for us.

Pinkman

Banned
What do you do to combat constipation? Mine get so bad I have to take a bunch of laxatives and still only manage to go about once a week. This is the major thing keeping me from continuing with the diet.

LeBeau

Ostrich
Gold Member
Every meal should have vegetables (or healthy source of fiber such as avocados). Green vegetables are best.

This will improve a huge range of areas, including digestion.

Jones

Woodpecker
Pinkman said:
What do you do to combat constipation? Mine get so bad I have to take a bunch of laxatives and still only manage to go about once a week. This is the major thing keeping me from continuing with the diet.

Cut out all cheese, codeine if you take any. Drink coffee. Increase your fat intake and lower your protein intake.

LeBeau said:
Every meal should have vegetables (or healthy source of fiber such as avocados). Green vegetables are best.

This will improve a huge range of areas, including digestion.

Vegetables:

"...low in nutrients and cause a growth of harmful bacteria in the intestine, while the fibrous cellulose residues (fibre) scratches the delicate lining and causes mucus and scarring. This reduces nutrition and eventually as you age, this damage will lead to malnutrition even on a good diet."

And,

"In addition, the rough cellulosic fibre (most of the vegetable’s mass/volume) scratches and irritates the delicate intestinal lining as it passes through, and causes first, mucus secretion followed by scarring (callous formation). Both limit the intestine’s ability to absorb nutrients."

(source: Bear's Words of Wisdom p.11 & 199.)

Cast2e

Pigeon
Have done some variations of keto 3 times since 2014.

2014: Went from naturally skinny to fat at 34% b.f. thanks to studying all day and eating bread and carby protein bars all day. Strict keto, less than 30g of carbs per day, with intermittent fasting (18:6 hr feeding window).

Got thin fast, flat stomach and lean face after 4-6 weeks. Wasn't eating enough fat so didn't feel too great during this time and pretty much felt like I was starving myself doing IF. Family stopped calling me fat quick though. The weight loss was fantastic and perfect for the overseas trip I was going to at the time, where I'd be without a shirt a good amount of time, which was my reason to lean up.

2016-2017: Got into bodybuilding with great results but some chunkiness had come back. Once again did keto the same way I previously had done but with no IF this time. Got lean relatively quickly and despite never working out abs, they started to show somewhat decently. Physique looked great and good muscle separation visible. Got down to about 7 % b.f.

2019: Did Carnivore/zero carb diet for 30 days with proper fat consumption and despite not working out felt a noticeable change in testosterone. Mood and energy improved a good bit, and muscles got noticeably bigger and felt more fuller. Recently re-started that diet for health reasons.

Apparently for certain conditions it could take 1-6 months for significant results. So we'll see what happens. If anything now that I'm working out and getting my old physique back it'll be great to look even more great naked,

Lawrence87

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I think it's good for losing weight fast. I don't think it works well for long term though as it's too restrictive.

I think reducing bread, replacing potatoes with sweet potatoes and stuff, as well as avoiding processed sugar is a good move, but I think extreme carb limitation only works to lose a lot of weight fast.

Another thing I found with keto is that it's easy to think it is magical. By which I mean you end up eating blocks of cheese or half a jar of peanut butter because those are "keto friendly" and really those aren't exactly the best things to be doing. By which I mean it's easy to mistake the weight loss aspect as "whatever is keto friendly is good for you".

In my opinion if you're already slim it's not necessary.

newcomer

Robin
Orthodox Inquirer
I think it's good for losing weight fast. I don't think it works well for long term though as it's too restrictive.

I think reducing bread, replacing potatoes with sweet potatoes and stuff, as well as avoiding processed sugar is a good move, but I think extreme carb limitation only works to lose a lot of weight fast.

Another thing I found with keto is that it's easy to think it is magical. By which I mean you end up eating blocks of cheese or half a jar of peanut butter because those are "keto friendly" and really those aren't exactly the best things to be doing. By which I mean it's easy to mistake the weight loss aspect as "whatever is keto friendly is good for you".

In my opinion if you're already slim it's not necessary.
its good for losing WEIGHT fast, but not losing FAT necessarily, as by cutting off carbs your body is getting rid of a lot of waterweight. Once you introduce carbs again they will bind the water and its very probable you will end up weighting the same as you did on a start of your diet.

Padouk

Banned
Non-Christian
Keto has many advantages:
  • Quick results in losing weight
  • By being conscious about carbs you eliminate lots of processed food and hybridized fruit.
  • It helps you do fasting better. To do a 3+ day fast on normal carb diet is hard.
  • Your brain functions better
  • Digestion is better
  • Your microbiome improves
  • Being careful with proteins improves your kidney function and chances of getting cancer
  • Mood is stable as energy is stable
  • You are prepared for emergencies when food could become scarce
  • ... and many more
Disadvantages
  • If proteins are not kept in check it might damage the kidneys
  • Like any restrictive diet is anti-social
  • You may start experimenting with fake sugars
  • It does not work well for athletes
  • No long term data yet
  • May affect one's libido

joost

Pelican
Can you spare a day to eat carbs? Like a pizza day once a week?

For a regular diet, I can use Whey protein and Oats Flour as a good source for carbs. A few shakes and I have most of the needed nutrition for the day.

As for Keto, what can I use for a 2300 kcal diet? I need something like:
Fat: 180g. Can I eat chunks of butter and call it a day?
Protein: 135g. Is Whey protein okay?
carbs: 20g. Not a lot of room to avoid carbs.

If you do Intermittent Fasting, what's the best time to hit the gym?

fireshark

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Had one of my best days today since I started this almost 6 months ago. It's taken many months to learn what to do and what actually works for me. I started with gluten-free first and it morphed into modified / mild keto. Along the way I've become immensely more aware of what kinds of foods should not be consumed by humans (think seed oils and high fructose corn syrup) and what foods cause problems for my specific body. I've never felt better than on this diet, except for when I was 20 and had zero gut problems, I suppose.

Very generous 85g carbs a day. I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm slowly building muscle while staying lean.

If you don't track your macros and let regular cheat days become part of your routine, it's impossible to do almost anything well long-term.

rwPC6Vh.jpg