Keto diet experiences?

MOVSM

Pelican
Gold Member
Hell_Is_Like_Newark said:
I have been noticing an uptick in articles slamming keto diets. Seems like a lot of "health professionals" are freaked out by keto. This is the latest one I have come across:

http://www.healthnpost.com/?p=5853#comment-1844

For starters, most of the lost weight is water weight, according to Lisa Cimperman, R.D.N., a clinical dietitian at University Hospitals Case Medical Center in Cleveland, Ohio, and a spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.

“Once your body enters ketosis, you also begin to lose muscle, become extremely fatigued, and eventually enter starvation mode. Then it actually becomes even harder to lose weight,” Cimperman told Healthline.

Mawer said he doesn’t believe the keto diet causes muscle loss. He did caution it’s not optimal for someone trying to gain muscle.

Other experts interviewed by Healthline had stronger words of caution.

“Keto diets should only be used under clinical supervision and only for brief periods,” Francine Blinten, R.D., a certified clinical nutritionist and public health consultant in Old Greenwich, Connecticut, told Healthline. “They have worked successfully on some cancer patients in conjunction with chemotherapy to shrink tumors and to reduce seizures among people suffering from epilepsy.”

All of these scare-mongering claims are easily disproved--there are countless people who live on this diet. I personally am on some sort of low carb diet for over 4 years, I adjust according to my needs, including powerlifting and building muscle. Full quarter of Swedes are on low carb diet. Low carb high fat (LCHF) diet is recommended by their surgeon general.
Then there is all kinds of research on the matter by Drs. Atkins, Peter Attia, Volek and Phiney, and books published by them and Gary Taubes and Jimmy Moore.

The trouble with doctors is that they are taught current dietary guidelines, and despite knowing the physiological processes, continue to regurgitate the accepted mantra. Sometimes it is due to risk of malpractice lawsuits, sometimes due to sugar lobby, and sometimes, as in this case, blithering idiocy.

I highly recommend reading the above authors. For powerlifting I recommend Leangains.
Then there is Mongolia, Masai, Siberian pastoralists, northern nomads (Eskimo etc.) for whom LCHF diet was the norm for centuries.

Edit: Forgot--eating meat today is a politically incorrect act. This is the greatest opposition to these diets. It is further effort at emasculation of men, which must go on at all costs. Hence all SJW, PETA, feminazis etc. will oppose these attempts at eating healthy.

Grenblin

Sparrow
Gold Member
I can vouch for the fact that you only lose muscle if you diet and don't train. But same goes for not training and not dieting at all.
I've gone on Keto since May of last year + lifting.
Dropped 70lbs so far and I can do same amount of bench presses with 135lbs that I could with an empty 45lbs bar at the beginning of my journey.
Both the size of my muscles and my strength have been going up steadily.
Now I'm working on my endurance.

Jaihoo

Banned
I peaked out on the scale right after the new years...280 lbs, disgusting. Started strict keto 7 days ago, 12+ lbs down. Feeling much better. For keto advice, I exclusively check Primal Edge Health youtube, and track my food via Cronometer.

Ditched the junk food completely. I'm going old school with food, my family makes olive oil from the couple of olive trees they have, so now I'm using that daily, also grandma protip - teaspoon of olive oil every morning, on empty stomach.

I just hope I don't crash back to carbs lol.

MOVSM

Pelican
Gold Member
Jaihoo said:
I peaked out on the scale right after the new years...280 lbs, disgusting. Started strict keto 7 days ago, 12+ lbs down. Feeling much better. For keto advice, I exclusively check Primal Edge Health youtube, and track my food via Cronometer.

Ditched the junk food completely. I'm going old school with food, my family makes olive oil from the couple of olive trees they have, so now I'm using that daily, also grandma protip - teaspoon of olive oil every morning, on empty stomach.

I just hope I don't crash back to carbs lol.

1st two weeks are horrible, persevere. 1st month is bad. After that it gets better. Except for the holidays, you will have relapses. Remember, sugar is a drug more powerful than cocaine.

samsamsam

Peacock
Gold Member
Is it ok to have a carb day on Keto?

I still need a day to enjoy the foods I like. Trust me I like bacon and meat and cheese like there is no tomorrow.

But I like having my one day to go to town on junk.

Any of you do keto 5 to 6 days a week, with a day for whatever?

Or does that destroy all your gains from keto?

JJG mentioned triglycerides were a result of too much glucose. I think that is probably what messes with my blood also. But I like to eat, I enjoy it. Hopefully just narrowing it to one or two days a week of carbs would still see an improvement in health and bloodwork?

Jaihoo if you really want to drop weight fast check out the RFL thread. https://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-48982.html

roberto

Pelican
Gold Member
samsamsam said:

I still need a day to enjoy the foods I like. Trust me I like bacon and meat and cheese like there is no tomorrow.

JJG mentioned triglycerides were a result of too much glucose. I think that is probably what messes with my blood also. But I like to eat, I enjoy it. Hopefully just narrowing it to one or two days a week of carbs would still see an improvement in health and bloodwork?

Jaihoo if you really want to drop weight fast check out the RFL thread. https://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-48982.html

I did did great with a cheat day once every couple of weeks, and even every week. Make sure you're adapted and get straight back onto keto the next morning.

Jaihoo

Banned
MOVSM said:

Oh I believe it.

Although I can't understand why can't we have at least one type of food that has carb-ish taste, but without actual carbs. Diet coke doesn't count, that's some nasty chemicals.

Quick quesion - when going keto for weeks and weeks, and you accidentally bump into some cookies that you are forced to eat no matter what (hypothetical situation of course!) - how long does it take you to get back into keto mode? I've heard numerous theories on this.

Some say one you kick yourself out of keto (and it takes only one carb-up) you need to wait for at least few weeks of keto-ing to get back. Some say "the next day when you get back to the old eating regiment"

Which one is it?

Hell_Is_Like_Newark

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Jaihoo said:
Quick quesion - when going keto for weeks and weeks, and you accidentally bump into some cookies that you are forced to eat no matter what (hypothetical situation of course!) - how long does it take you to get back into keto mode?

Normally it takes me about two to three days at most for the glucose store in my liver to go back to zero. I get bumped out of ketosis often when I have to eat out (traveling for work).

I am only in mild ketosis though. I try to stay under 50 net carbs (most of it being green veggies). When I check macros, I am normally in the 25 to 40 net carb range. The more hardcore people who do this stay under 20 net carbs. The people I see who have to go hard core have PCOS, insulin resistance, or have some other issue that aggravates their weight to the point of being morbidly obese.

Hell_Is_Like_Newark

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I had a "whoosh" event last weekend. For over two weeks, I wasn't losing much weights. I kept getting on the scale and I was still over 210 lbs.

Then I spent a night pissing like I was a water tank that sprung a leak. I dropped almost 5 lbs in a night and a lot of bloat as well. Turns out I have been losing fat, but I had a lot of water retention, which let loose.

BY the power of Google I found out what happened to me is pretty common.

MOVSM

Pelican
Gold Member
samsamsam said:

It doesn't destroy ketosis, but does slow it down some. Depending on how much pizza/cake/donuts/etc you have, you will be back in ketosis within 2-3 days.

Alternatively, if you powerlift, and do leangains, you will eat starches on workout days. A 400lbs deadlift uses up a lot of sugar.

If you want to know where your ketosis is, there are measuring methods to track that.
I use Ketonix.

MOVSM

Pelican
Gold Member
Jaihoo said:
Although I can't understand why can't we have at least one type of food that has carb-ish taste, but without actual carbs.

Jimmy Moore and Maria Emmerich, and a bunch of other authors keep coming up with ketogenic substitutes for sweet/starchy foods. Women can't seem to live without them, it seems.
I no longer do it, but if you must, there are tons of keto cookbooks with plenty of substitutions.
Also, see my response to Samsamsam about leangains.

Jaihoo

Banned
For the last 15 days I haven't dropped a single gram. I didn't cheat once, not one bite. I had more than a few days of undereating, simply because I didn't feel hungry whatsoever, and 1800 calories seemed like stuffing my face on some days, LOL what a change. Sucks to be fat.

Ivanis

Kingfisher
Jaihoo said:
For the last 15 days I haven't dropped a single gram. I didn't cheat once, not one bite. I had more than a few days of undereating, simply because I didn't feel hungry whatsoever, and 1800 calories seemed like stuffing my face on some days, LOL what a change. Sucks to be fat.

How long have you been doing the diet? It could be that your body is still trying to deplete glycogen stores. The process is speed up if you lift or do high intensity cardio.

Speculation

Kingfisher
Protestant
Keto worked for me, I lost 10kgs over 3 months.

Once I reached a healthy 'goal' weight I had just about no energy for working out as my fat reserves were gone, so I switched out to paleo.

Much easier to keep weight off on Keto. I cooked lots of curries. Thai Coconut milk Red/Green curries and Indian/Malay 'Jungle' style based beef curries where my daily carb count would all go into the paste/a single small onion.

If I ever put weight on I'll have no problem switching back to Keto for a month or two. Its restrictive, but doable.

FretDancer

Ostrich
I have been in a Ketogenic diet around 2 years ago which helped me reach around 10% body fat, ripped.

I am considering going on it again, or at least reduce carbs up to a maximum of 30-40g daily. Reason is because I am suspecting that after all these years living in Asia, I have become (or starting to become) insulin resistant. A condition explained by Ivanis a few posts before.

I love eating meat and high fat, but I also love eating bread. Specially garlic bread...

Anyways, let's do this.

Laurifer

Woodpecker
Gold Member
MOVSM said:
You may be eating too much. Here is a calculator for proper balance:

https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Just wanted to share how accurate that calculator is. I typed in my info and when I typed in my BF%, it was nearly identical to the results of my dexa scan.

Keto calculator: Lean mass - 136 lbs, Body fat - 34 lbs

Dexa scan: Lean mass - 134.6, Body fat - 34.7

That calculator is nearly spot on!

I'm currently trying to lean out on 1500 calories per day. I might switch to keto for a brief sprint at one point, but its just a challenge to socialize and stick to the diet.

Anyways, thanks for sharing that.