Spiritual Warfare Knowing the enemy: understanding Lucifer/Satan

GuitarVH

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
Is there a place in the Old or New Testament where one can find material on the origins of Satan? Ive heard a lot of stories about how Satan became the fallen angel but noone ever cites scripture when telling me about these things.

For what it's worth, I have read the New Testament and never found anything directly about this topic. But I'm still working on the Old Testament.

Luke 10:18 (NKJV)

And He said to them, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven."

Trewolla

Robin
Protestant
I'm not particularly blackpilled about it. But I've accepted that God has given over a large part of America--a large part of western society, actually. The best one can do is not be a part of those who have caused it.

Of course, that doesn't mean that you won't suffer some of the consequences of it. When God removes his influence from a people things get rough. We're experiencing the beginning of "the roughness" now.

The Penitent Man

Kingfisher
Protestant
So, when Eve begins demonstrating wisdom by telling Satan, who was sent down to her as the chief guide for mankind, that they shouldn’t even TOUCH the fruit of knowledge of good and evil (something God never explicitly said, but is a reasonable and WISE deduction), Satan sees his kingdom slipping away and decides he can’t play into what he perceives as a cosmic facade any longer in service to these meat suits.
I don’t believe this was any demonstration of wisdom at all. In fact, quite the opposite. Satan tested Eve, he asked her what God said and he quoted God correctly. He knew, and knows, God’s Word. Eve failed, she didn’t know what God said. Once Satan realized this, he knew he could manipulate Eve.

This is one of the ways he tests all of us, and why it is important that we know God’s Word in the face of such tests. “Did God really say?” This is how a liar operates, he probes your knowledge to test for weakness. Do you really know what God commanded? What is and isn’t permissible?

Your greatest enemy knows these things with perfect certainty. If you do not know the Word, you do not know the truth, and you can be led astray. Even by lies extremely similar to the truth, but with that little twist that puts you off just a small degree in the beginning, but has you miles away in the end.

An0dyne

Robin
Other Christian
I don’t believe this was any demonstration of wisdom at all. In fact, quite the opposite. Satan tested Eve, he asked her what God said and he quoted God correctly. He knew, and knows, God’s Word. Eve failed, she didn’t know what God said. Once Satan realized this, he knew he could manipulate Eve.

This is one of the ways he tests all of us, and why it is important that we know God’s Word in the face of such tests. “Did God really say?” This is how a liar operates, he probes your knowledge to test for weakness. Do you really know what God commanded? What is and isn’t permissible?

Your greatest enemy knows these things with perfect certainty. If you do not know the Word, you do not know the truth, and you can be led astray. Even by lies extremely similar to the truth, but with that little twist that puts you off just a small degree in the beginning, but has you miles away in the end.
If God says not to eat something, staying as far away from the temptation as possible (e.g., not touching) is certainly wise. Skirting the line of temptation is a recipe for disaster.

I do agree with you principally about the devil’s twisting of God’s Word, but his deception here was “you shall not die, but will be like God.” Of course, theosis was God’s plan, but not in the premature way he was suggesting. Hence the twist and distortion.

An0dyne

Robin
Other Christian
Luke 10:18 (NKJV)

And He said to them, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven."
This is referring to the disciples preaching the Gospel and casting out devils. Wherever the Gospel is preached, Satan is driven out. We read in Revelation 12:11 that in the decisive battle in which St. Michael cast Satan out of Heaven after the Ascension, it was the power of the Word that enabled the Saints to overcome him. No longer can he accuse them before the Throne like he did to Job. He is relegated to the earth and filled with fury, knowing his time is short.

SingularityOne

Robin
Orthodox
Great stream. I love the thumbnail. I believe that's what we ought to do to this system: give it the hand, deny it, push it away. It's not our system anymore. It's Satan's system. Let those who go along with it have fun on that ride, it will be disastrous, we can only pray for them. It's not a society we should be willing to participate in anymore, besides the necessary things. It's a society of pure evil. And let's be honest guys, if we'd ''go back'' to 2019 would everything be roses and sunshine? It'd be too far down the line to be saved anyway. We must find our way in the truth society, get away from the lie society. If you think about it what actually is it that they punish us with, keeping us away from sinful activities and people who believe in lies? Isn't it a blessing to not be able to participate in this society anymore? Full of new opportunities, people and truth? I'm looking forward to it :).

We need to be in the world but not of it as Lawrence says above, I think.

budoslavic

Eagle
Orthodox
Gold Member

FFxDZ4uXMAEvR7O

DenizenJane

Woodpecker
Non-Christian
One of the more bizarre yet intriguing theories from that Hovind guy is that Satan's purpose of exterminating humanity is that he is trying to root out one that will "bruise his head" as promised in Genesis 3:15, but he is unsure of who the Christ is. This doesn't make much sense, as in that gospels its mentions quite clearly that both Satan and his demons knew who Jesus was.

That said, it brings the question of the extent of Satan's presence and potence over the material world. Although, he most likely has a massive capacity for information intake and can be in many locations at once, I think he is far more limited than we would imagine. He is not the yin-yang "anti-God" whom shares an equal or near equal omnipotence, omnipresence, and omniscience as we know it.

That would explain the blueprint for the New World Order; a surveillance state. If one could already know everything about everyone by virtue of being a powerful spiritual being, there would be no need to utilize technology (which was built by man, no less) to help manage this for you.