Kobe Bryant killed in helicopter crash

budoslavic

Peacock
Gold Member
There will be a press conference at 2 pm PST.

doc holliday said:
Uggh now they are saying that his 13 yr old daughter, Gianna, was on the helicopter with him after retracting that all of his daughters were on board. Stupid fake news getting everything wrong as usual but for now they are saying this.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/26/kobe-bryant-killed-dead-helicopter-crash-in-calabasas/
^ Re: TMZ Update
UPDATE
1:19 PM PT -- We've obtained the dispatch audio in which you can hear the operator directing emergency personnel to the crash scene.

1:12 PM PT -- Rick Fox's attorney confirms the former Laker was NOT among those on board the helicopter, despite rumors that circulated suggesting he was.

12:49 PM PT -- President Trump just tweeted about Kobe's death ... saying, "Reports are that basketball great Kobe Bryant and three others have been killed in a helicopter crash in California. That is terrible news!"

12:35 PM PT -- Kobe's daughter Gianna Maria Onore -- aka GiGi -- was also on board the helicopter and died in the crash ... reps for Kobe tell TMZ Sports. She was 13.

We're told they were on their way to the Mamba Academy for a basketball practice when the crash occurred. The Academy is in nearby Thousand Oaks.
If true, the bold part doesn't sound good. It's best to wait until the official 2 pm PST press conference for detailed information.

Edit.
Kobe Bryant shares how a Catholic priest changed his life
Czarina Ong
Monday 2 May 2016 13:39 BST

Even though retired NBA legend Kobe Bryant was born and raised a Catholic, he made a few bad turns. But thankfully, the basketball star was able to turn his life around, and it was all thanks to a kind-hearted priest.

Back in 2003, Bryant's career and personal life hit an all-time low after he was accused by a woman of rape. Bryant admitted that he had sex with the woman, but denied rape. The court judge dropped the charges against him, but the woman still filed a civil lawsuit against him and they settled out of court.

Because of the scandal, advertisers wanted nothing to do with Bryant, and his wife Vanessa filed for divorce. But during that bleak moment in his life, Bryant knew who to turn to - God. He went to church and talked to his priest, and the conversation was really enlightening for the sports star.

"The one thing that really helped me during that process — I'm Catholic, I grew up Catholic, my kids are Catholic — was talking to a priest. It was actually kind of funny: He looks at me and says, 'Did you do it?' And I say, 'Of course not.' Then he asks, 'Do you have a good lawyer?' And I'm like, 'Uh, yeah, he's phenomenal.' So then he just said, 'Let it go. Move on. God's not going to give you anything you can't handle, and it's in his hands now. This is something you can't control. So let it go.' And that was the turning point," Bryant told GQ Magazine.

Bryant took the priest's advice to heart and sought to live his life better. Eventually, he and his wife got back together and have even started their own cause called the Kobe and Vanessa Bryant Family Foundation (KVBFF), which encourages young kids to develop their physical and social skills through sports and charity work.

When asked why they started the foundation, Bryant answered, "My career is winding down. At the end of my career, I don't want to look back and just say, 'Well, I had a successful career because I won so many championships and scored so many points.' There's something else that you have to do with that."

Looking back at his own mistakes, Bryant said that everybody deserves a second chance and a little lift every now and then. "[The homelessness] issue is one that kind of gets pushed on the back burner because it's easy to point the blame at those who are homeless and say, 'Well, you made that bad decision. This is where you are. It's your fault.' In life, we all make mistakes and to stand back and allow someone to live that way and kind of wash your hands of it... that's not right," he said.

Handsome Creepy Eel

Owl
Gold Member
Just because you can afford it doesn't mean it isn't misguided to use such a dangerous aircraft for routine trips. Helicopters are fragile and constantly playing with fire (or gravity) in order to achieve that coveted hovering ability.

Travel by helicopter to an urgent medical intervention or military mission. Not for fun and convenience.

Rip poor guy.

Peacock
Gold Member
Looks like the video I've posted above was from a different crash with the same kind of helicopter, no buildings around the real crash site, sorry about that.

Rest In Peace to Kobe and his daughter.

A true basketball legend. I remember shooting hoops in my front yard...Kobe was one of the guys the kids hooping always wanted to be.

Life is short. The rich, famous, and talented are all equal under the eye of time. Don’t postpone living for tomorrow. Tell those close to you that you love them and never take life for granted.

kosko

Peacock
Gold Member
Handsome Creepy Eel said:
Just because you can afford it doesn't mean it isn't misguided to use such a dangerous aircraft for routine trips. Helicopters are fragile and constantly playing with fire (or gravity) in order to achieve that coveted hovering ability.

Travel by helicopter to an urgent medical intervention or military mission. Not for fun and convenience.

Rip poor guy.
Kobe has used helicopter travel as a means to bypass LA area traffic for over 10 years now. Yes, I agree misguided to use it for a routine trip for Kobe, this mode of travel was very much routine for him. Unless the operator and Kobe pushed thier luck with the foggy weather you have to just toss this up to bad luck and bad timing. It's very unfortunate news but I wouldn't place blame on someone doing an activity that is normal and routine for them.

Peacock
Gold Member
Sooth said:
RIP

It's a statistic. The more time you spend in a helicopter the more likely you'll get into strife.

"The U.S. helicopter accident rate in 2017 was 3.55 accidents per 100,000 flight hours, and the fatal accident rate was 0.59 per 100,000 flight hours, USHST said."

https://flightsafety.org/helicopter-accidents-up-in-u-s-down-internationally/
That stat means that if you say, commuted on a helicopter 10 hours per week, every week of the year, the expected amount of time you would need to spend in order to be in a fatal crash is over 300 years... Probably safer than sailing, or on par with riding a motorcycle or a bicycle in traffic.

Papaya

Crow
Gold Member
Just went to the local grocery store and ran into a neighbor who's daughter played in the basketball league where Kobe was a coach of his own daughters league. Hes saying word thru the grapevine is there was at least one other local little girl on the helicopter

kosko

Peacock
Gold Member
budoslavic said:
Live Press Conference

Edit. After checking out Kobe's daughter Gigi's basketball skills, there are no words.
The daughter Gigi was projected to be an elite female basketball player. Many were hoping that she would be the megastar to boost the WNBA into the mainstream when she eventually aged into a professional. Very sad news as she was talented and had attained much of the mamba bravado DNA from her father.

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
Handsome Creepy Eel said:

Rip poor guy.
Kobe had been flying to games for years. Given the traffic in LA, I don't blame him. Flying is far safer than driving.

Handsome Creepy Eel

Owl
Gold Member
911 said:
Sooth said:
RIP

It's a statistic. The more time you spend in a helicopter the more likely you'll get into strife.

"The U.S. helicopter accident rate in 2017 was 3.55 accidents per 100,000 flight hours, and the fatal accident rate was 0.59 per 100,000 flight hours, USHST said."

https://flightsafety.org/helicopter-accidents-up-in-u-s-down-internationally/
That stat means that if you say, commuted on a helicopter 10 hours per week, every week of the year, the expected amount of time you would need to spend in order to be in a fatal crash is over 300 years... Probably safer than sailing, or on par with riding a motorcycle or a bicycle in traffic.
I might be thinking irrationally here, but my main beef with flying (or in this case helicopters) isn't how often accidents happen, but that when they happen they're invariably fatal. According to this stat, for 1 fatal helicopter accident, there are 7 where the helicopter somehow lands safely and I'm wondering "How? Helicopters can't glide or make an improvised landing..."

I don't know what the non-fatal accident to fatal accident ratio is for cars, but I seriously doubt that it's 3.55 to 0.59 - it's more likely 13.55 to 0.59.