Legal prep and defense: Marriage edition

DanielH

Pelican
Yes, I do feel some type of way about this, not only because of my own experiences with marriage but also because I come from a broken family.

We all feel certain types of ways about things based on our life experiences. For example, there are guys in this thread who have been through ugly divorces, and that is why they feel the way they do.

I have come to realize just how destructive divorce (and distrust/hatred in a marriage) can be, and that it can be avoided if you choose to marry a woman you can love and cherish the way Christ loves and cherishes His church.

I have come to these realizations through my newfound Christian faith, and I found Christ in no small part through RVF. So it is very sad for me to see this platform being used to encourage suspicion, distrust, and division between husbands and wives.

Yes, I did say I was taking a break. I have hardly been posting here for the last several months, actually. I just come here out of habit to read the commentary when I'm bored. Today, I could not help but call out when I saw people talking about marriage and divorce the way they were.

Maybe it was a mistake, because I am unlikely to convince those I was arguing with, and those who understand what I am saying already know it and do not need to be convinced. But on the other hand, who knows if any man on the verge of filing for divorce, or a young single man ready to give up on women and marriage, will read this thread and see that there is at least one voice out there highlighting the beauty of a true marriage covenant under God and the ugliness and destructiveness of divorce, distrust, and hatred between spouses.
Lots of truth in what Rob has said in this thread. When two people have sex, which should only be in marriage, they become one flesh (which is literally biologically accurate according to a post @budoslavic shared today about microchimerism). How do you divorce one flesh? Divorcing one flesh and dividing it in two is death.

Rob Banks

Pelican
Lots of truth in what Rob has said in this thread. When two people have sex, which should only be in marriage, they become one flesh (which is literally biologically accurate according to a post @budoslavic shared today about microchimerism). How do you divorce one flesh? Divorcing one flesh and dividing it in two is death.
Link to the @budoslavic post you referenced? I can't find it.

Eusebius Erasmus

Kingfisher
The concept of a prenup or 'protecting your assets,' in case of divorce, is not Christian (this is a Christian forum, afaik).

First, divorce is a sin. This has already been covered.

Second, when you're 'one flesh' in marriage, you own everything in common. A prenup presumes that this is not the case.

The best defence for marriage is to marry a Christian girl who has a deep faith in the Lord. That is all. Everything else -- her looks, family background, wealth, etc. -- are insignificant next to this.

If you're so concerned about your material wealth, then why remain a Christian? Just go be secular.