Live and Work Abroad with the Luxury Hotel industry

mr-ed209

Sparrow
I spent a good chunk of time in hospitality, pretty much part time during college until i hit 25. Somehow landed a management gig at a luxury resort hotel in Japan a winter ago.

Veloce your right. The line end staff have the best jobs, minimal responsibility, little work place politics etc; they also earn not much less than management. My 2 hospo jobs as manager basically put me under direct line with the owners, which places a huge pressure on you to conform to whatever sort of person they want to be the face of their establishment. The last place was owned by a syndicate of gay Australian millionaires (not a joke). Having dinners with them i had to clue myself up on pretentious wines and luxury watches to fit the mould (as if anyone could give a shit)..

Server jobs with good tip potential seem to be the best option. I knew guys who bartended in resort town restaurants and hotels making arround $60k for 3-4 nights work a week. Although their jobs are hard to get a hold of, as no one ever wants to leave them.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
The OP of this thread randomly messaged me the other week on whatsapp to tell me that he’s at a hotel job on a luxury island where rooms go for $1800/night, I won’t say the exact country to respect his privacy but it’s in the Indian Ocean near Africa and looks like a pretty amazing place to be based for a few months. Good job bro!

Kelent

Robin
I'm really happy for the OP. As someone who's doing kitchen work (as a dishwasher, but I still do prep and talk shit about gastronomy with the small crew we have) I can definitely see myself using it as leverage abroad. It won't make me rich, but the fact is I'm young, have the experience, and think I can handle it. Once I get my degree, whatever I do, I know that putting in the time in this industry will help me out long term whether in terms of building character or getting my foot in the door at a high-end restaurant or hotel. The guys I'm working with, oddly enough, told me they left their 5-star hotel gigs because they weren't cooking unless it was a set menu. Is there any way to pivot from BOH to FOH work when going abroad with these companies? I've heard it can be very tough, but if I have to get it done, so be it.