Long-term benefits of the Coronavirus Pandemic

I figure it'd be useful to start a dedicated thread to discussing all the positives and benefits that may come from this Coronavirus.

Let's be real - we live in a highly complex, an overly complex, and fragile society. The Coronavirus is showing us where the cracks lie and hopefully some good things will come out of it.

As such, I am of the opinion this virus is a much needed stressor and will bring some sense of sanity back.

First thing is hopefully people will realize we need to bring manufacturing home from China to the West.

For example, this NYTimes article might give some people pause to think:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/business/masks-china-coronavirus.html

The World Needs Masks. China Makes Them - But Has Been Hoarding Them.

The ZMan made an excellent post today about women rediscovering the joys of being a stay-at-home mom.

http://thezman.com/wordpress/?p=20114

When I’m not on the road, Sunday is the day when I get my supplies and set things in order for the coming week. I like to get an early start as it means I don’t have to stand in line too long at the market. With the panic raging, lines are longer than normal, but I had some hope that people had exhausted themselves by now. Even so, I got an earlier than typical start. Apparently, I was not the only one thinking the same thing as the parking lot had many more cars than typical.

The shelves were mostly stocked, which was a relief, of sorts. I know more about the nation’s supply chain than most people, so I was not worried that we would run out of food, but it was still good to see it confirmed. Even the meat section was as full as normal and that’s the most fragile bit of the system. Items with a short shelf life tend to the least resistant to panic buying. Empty shelves are an exception in America, so seeing the stores full again will calm people’s nerves.

Having stocked up pretty well before the panic started, I just needed to top up a few things, but I took a look around the whole store just to see how people were handling things after a week playing pandemic. While picking up some skyr, I caught a bit of conversation between two women. I’d say both were in their 30’s, toward the older end, and they had the mom look. One of them was telling the other how great it was to have dinner together every night at the same time.

That will be one of the side effects of the great lock down. All of sudden, women are home and taking over their domain again. The kids are home, so they have reason to reassert their control over that part of their life. Many of these women will no doubt hate it and perform poorly, but most will be reminded that being home and running the household full-time was always their bets career option. Men will learn that having the wife home beats having a second income.

In line, I struck up a conversation with a women about this topic. The checkout has to be fumigated after each person goes through, so the lines are thirty people deep as we wait for our turn in the delousing station. The woman is in finance, so she can work from home. She has kids at home now, so she’s happy work has slowed up with the great shut down. Her kids get their school assignment over Skype, but she has taken over the normal instruction they would get in class.

She told me that she and the other moms are now talking about putting together their own community home schooling operation. I almost laughed out loud a few times as she explained how she and the other moms got a look at what their kids are being taught and how they can do much better. She was bit angry, for example, about the errors they found in the science books the school is using. There will be a lot of this type of stuff happening around the country because of the lock-down.

One of the unexpected consequences of this panic and the economic collapse that is now certain to follow, is people will discover the joys of want. We tend to think it is always terrible to do without, but there is an odd pleasure that comes from having to sacrifice and conserve. The mom I spoke with while waiting almost sounded giddy about the idea of simplifying the household diet in order to accommodate the shortages in the grocery stores. It will give her purpose again.

That will not just be about food. She said something about the lack of TV sports was a bit of downer, but I countered with the fact that everyone now gets to discover outside again and she lit up. No doubt she was thinking the same thing, but was happy for the confirmation. She and other moms are now taking over the fun time for their families, rather than delegating it to the entertainment business, sports leagues and the schools. Again, it will give these women purpose again.

On the other hand, we still live in a world of rule by exception. The right thing to do when someone says, “we need to normalize wearing masks in public like the Asians” is to punch them in the nose. That should have been the answer to people telling us their pronouns or their weird sexual fetishes. Instead, we committed ourselves to making one exception after another to accommodate a metastasizing number of weirdos, oddballs and trouble makers. The mask freaks will just be another.

That said, I doubt the mask thing lasts long. Americans are not going to live as if we hate everyone. Social trust has broken down, but it is not gone entirely. The reason Asians love masks is they have been practicing social distancing for 5,000 years, so the mask compliments a natural instinct. Conformity was their answer to the problem of social trust. To westerners, living such an existence will be a bridge too far, so the weirdos pushing it better enjoy their hazmat suits while they can.

Something I thought about as I was leaving is that suddenly the status hierarchy for women has changed. The mom I was chatting with was feeling really good about taking control of her household. Suddenly, the women taking care of their kids, taking over their schooling and being a stabilizing force are cool. Those career women sheltering in place with their box wine and social media account can no longer kid themselves about their real status in society.

There’s been a lot of wishful thinking about a baby boom coming from this lock-down, but what may follow is a marriage boom. Millions of single women now have no reason to exist, because they are stuck at home. They can’t cause drama at work and they can’t cruise the bars with their friends. Meanwhile, the women they made sport of at the office are having the time of her life at home with the family. There’s some chance this panic opens some pretty young eyes to the reality of their existence.

On the way out, I stopped at a light and noticed that the trees are all starting to turn green and the flowering trees are about to go into peak bloom. Persephone is making her way up from the underworld and all of creation celebrates.The cycle of life is immutable, which means that all things come to end, even plagues. It also means they are replaced by something new. A lot of bad things will come from the great lock-down, but on the other side will be some good things too.

Enoch

Ostrich
RE: Long-term benefits of the Coronavirus Pandemic Thread

I hope that once people realize that 1/2 of mom's monthly net pay at her corporate job goes to daycare plus commute costs, etc, that more moms will stay home.

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member

I hope if this blows over to some extent then at least people will take basic preparations for disasters a bit more seriously and the citizenry will harden themselves against future catastrophes.

I also hope the markets never again encompass so much wealth, and people invest in tangibles as a hedge against total economic collapse.

Razgriz

Sparrow

I’ll tell you what has surprised me the most is seeing so many people going out for a walk or a hike. Hopefully this little bit of exercise will get people to do something albeit tiny to combat the obesity epidemic in the USA

It_is_my_time

Hummingbird

I think this could potentially be God helping all his God fearing children. This has done some great things...

#1) It shut down sportsball, which is by far the biggest distraction for beta males. For the first time ever beta males are rediscovery themselves. The longer this goes, the more men who rediscover the important things in life, which is family, being a leader, protecting your women (whom are far weaker than you and just want you to be strong) and following God's message.

#2) It has people questioning globalism in ways I have never seen. Talk about a massive red pill. And this is before the people start dying off. The more people who lose loved ones start to get angry and question things, the more who come over to the red pill.

#3) I can see women starting to appreciate men again, slightly. Women are really starting to panic over this and they want someone there to make them FEEL safe. Alcohol and Netflix isn't cutting it for many of them.

#4) It makes national economic policies a lot easier to sell to "conservatives" as their "free market of ideas" fails from just one virus.

#5) It makes nationalist border policies a lot easier to sell to libtards when their mal-adaptive policies meet them face to face.

For me personally...

#1) I am using this time to clean the clutter in my house. As many here know I work around the clock and this is giving me time to catch up on things I badly need to do.

#2) I am using the free time to come closer to self actualization. I am fasting right now, lets see if I can make it 36 hours. I already feel good 18 hours into it. I am going to change my diet. Less carbs, more dairy, more healthy fats. I was already intermittent fasting, but I want to push it more.

#3) Time for mediation and self hypnosis. I highly recommend these two activities.

#4) When this thing finally ends, I will be like a caged lion set loose. I have now had the break from the rut I needed and wouldn't give to myself and now I can really come out on fire. I am really excited about it. I just hope I don't lose any loved ones in all of this, but I have no fear, God is with me and my loved ones.

I hope you all use this down time for self growth and reflection.

dicknixon72

Kingfisher

Wait until alot of these companies look at their balance sheets after all this is over an realize, "Hey. We furloughed 30% of our staff and of those remaining had only 20% of the workforce here physically in this large office we pay $xxxx to lease and only realized a 10-15% impact to the bottom line. Maybe we don't need all these people after all..."

AntoniusofEfa

Woodpecker

*I see nuclear families in the Park together. They apparently exist!
*The air here in Cologne is VERY clean due to the almost non-existent traffic
*People are discovering how wonderful telecommute is, and how much time of their life has been wasted on commuting.
*Everyone realizes that we are too dependent on China.

More to come.

dicknixon72 said:
Wait until alot of these companies look at their balance sheets after all this is over an realize, "Hey. We furloughed 30% of our staff and of those remaining had only 20% of the workforce here physically in this large office we pay $xxxx to lease and only realized a 10-15% impact to the bottom line. Maybe we don't need all these people after all..."
Yup and I'm betting "all these people after all" will predominantly be women who were doing make believe jobs anyways.

RexImperator

Crow
Gold Member

For obvious reasons, this pandemic is the third big strike against globalism after Brexit and the election of Donald Trump. It’s going to force politicians including even the left to drop support for open borders as we’ve already started to see hints of in Denmark and Germany. To be politically viable the left will adopt more “welfare chauvinism”.

Oz.

Pelican

Sure your average already married woman with kids might see some change, but, the average thot is still out there, quarantine or not. This pandemic has turned into an attention whoring for a lot of people on the younger side, both male and female.

Paracelsus

Crow
Gold Member

Hopefully?

People turning back to God. A virus can't be bought out, bargained with, voted against, arrested, impounded, sued, or shamed into oblivion. Like death, there is no reasoning with it, and at least at the moment, there is no cure and no vaccine. Fear might be the first motivator for people, but I hope a lot of brothers have time to get some serious theological study into them over the course of this.

kel

Kingfisher

dicknixon72 said:
I hope you're right, and this is a way of getting rid of a lot of make-work middle management and diversity hire bobbleheads, but the price paid to virtue signal just isn't that much to a big company, so I'm not that optimistic.

Mr Gibbs

Sparrow

This event will rightly and forever be added to the anti immigration (or immigration reductionist) anti offshoring, anti globohomo and pro nationalist arguments for... probably ever.

Dr. Howard

Peacock
Gold Member

Paracelsus said:
Hopefully?

People turning back to God. A virus can't be bought out, bargained with, voted against, arrested, impounded, sued, or shamed into oblivion. Like death, there is no reasoning with it, and at least at the moment, there is no cure and no vaccine. Fear might be the first motivator for people, but I hope a lot of brothers have time to get some serious theological study into them over the course of this.
Definitely. When people stare down a virus which has no cure for which they may not even be able to go to the hospital for, who are they going to turn to?

For the majority, the Lord has also been merciful enough to make the virus bad enough to scare you that you might die if you get it, but mild enough that you'll recover.

Virus aside, being stuck at home with family will increase those bonds and maybe even have them praying for others. With 'sportsball' on hiatus men who idolize it can turn their attention to their families and God.

Mountaineer

Kingfisher
Gold Member

One more benefit of the quarantine that I can think of is a future uptick in birth rates. Just like black-outs during WW2 had this effect I think we will see a result of the quarantine in the next 9-12 months.

ilostabet

Kingfisher

Since we're positing hopes, my hope is that this starts a chain reaction that ends the industrial system.

And for those who think it's easy, let alone possible, to keep an industrial system without the globalization that fosters this kind of virus, watch this video:

In it, it is explained how to make something as basic as a pencil, you need an entire global network to function in perfect coordination. It is a celebratory video, of course, because it focuses only on the benefits of such a global system. The downsides are becoming, at least in part, apparent. If such a system is needed for a pencil, imagine how much more it is required for smartphones, computers and cars, and pretty much everything else.

So my hope is that 50 years from now, a grandpa sitting by the fire is telling his grandchild how crazy the world used to be, in which instead of people growing their own food and their lives depending on their families and neighbors, they would go to a giant building across town (which they would take a day to get to on horseback, let alone on foot), to pick up stuff shipped from across the world and how their entire lives depended on people they would never meet and have nothing in common with on the other side of the planet. And stranger still, they wouldn't even know their neighbors.

The grandchild will not believe it. It is too surreal and insane. Grandpa will agree and tell the child that people back then only realized how crazy it was when a deadly virus came knocking from China. 'China, grandpa?'. Grandpa will show it in the map, and the child's eyes will open wide in amazement. 'Strange, isn't it? And it all started with a bat'.

A man can dream.

dicknixon72

Kingfisher

ilostabet said:
In it, it is explained how to make something as basic as a pencil, you need an entire global network to function in perfect coordination. It is a celebratory video, of course, because it focuses only on the benefits of such a global system. The downsides are becoming, at least in part, apparent. If such a system is needed for a pencil, imagine how much more it is required for smartphones, computers and cars, and pretty much everything else.
Funny, because - as recently as the late 1980s - something as technologically-advanced as an automobile still had majority parts made by at least allied/friendly nations, if not domestically.

What was the foreign parts content of these?

For a country as God-given bountiful with an abundance of natural resources and man-made talent to choose to offshore vital production of everyday goods to save nickels and dimes is disgusting. I would gladly pay $250 more for an American television set or another $2500 for a car made 80%+ of US/Canadian components.

ilostabet

Kingfisher

If you think of the implications of such a system, you will realize that it would mean domination of other peoples. Which is precisely how it all started and would lead to the exact same results.

Grandpa could just as easily have amazed the child by telling him that, living in Virginia, his survival depended on California by showing him the map.

It's like the alt light loving feminism 1.0, not realizing it leads to 3.0 with enough time.