Long-term benefits of the Coronavirus Pandemic

the high

Woodpecker
paninaro said:
I'm skeptical most consumers are willing to spend more for a US-made option, when a non-US made option of similar features/quality is available for less.
With the current political climate, and given some pro-american/buy american rhetoric by talking heads this could change.

bucky

Pelican
Blade Runner said:
In different times with a superior culture, also, people dressed presentably even though they had fewer options or clothes changes. Have you ever seen older American films of the streets or 1930s baseball games? Every single man in the stands is wearing a suit and a hat.

Quality decreased generally as laziness increased and culture decayed.

It didn't have to always be that way as a stodgy rule, but there is no doubt that this is the direction and cultural creep. For goodness sakes, you have people these days who come to church in clothes not that far from pajamas. They wouldn't dare risk not being somewhat reasonably dressed for a job interview or work, but integrity in church of all places, is lost. While that's not the be all end all, it still is informative on what the culture values, beyond being an embarrassment.
Yes, I've seen people show up to mass in shorts and an NFL jersey. Better than not going to church at all, I guess, but it's definitely off putting.

My mom tells me my grandma always put on white gloves to go grocery shopping back in the 1950s, and I remember reading that a famous baseball player (Joe Dimaggio, I think) caused a scandal by being frequently seen in public without a tie back in the 1940s.

It_is_my_time

Hummingbird
The problem isn't the cost of a good made in the USA v. overseas for the average person to buy. I think most Americans would pay a little more to buy a product built in the USA, especially if the quality is better, if it means more Americans are working. More Americans working means less welfare expense, it means less people out of work and getting strung out on drugs and committing crimes.

The problem is you can simply look at a chart of Executive level pay over the last 50 years. As more gets off shored, the more the executive level pay exceeds the average worker. It is astronomical at this point how much more the C level makes v. the average worker when compared to the 1970's.

The wealth of this country was simply moved from the middle class to the upper class by off shoring our jobs and industry. If that wealth was allowed to correctly flow back into the hands of the working class, then we could easily afford to produce in the USA/west again.

It is our elites who have betrayed us and now their shell game is running out of time. And the cornovirus epidemic has done a great job of exposing all of this. It is up to us to spread the word and make sure the focus remains on our elites and upper class as the root cause for the problems we are facing.

< Nokia was produced in the high-wage country of Finland. And the reason it failed was not because of too high production cost. Nokia designers and managers just missed the boat to smartphones which cost them their lead.

The supply chain of course isn't there in the West, but that can be built just as Nokia had it in 2010. And the phones were not that expensive since Western and Japanese factories just automate more.

Samseau

Owl
Gold Member
American Apparel was a classic "Made in America" store that was taken over by a Jew and run into the ground for his own sexual perversions.

People still value the "Made in America" tag but there actually must be an effort to advertise such a fact, not just show off whores in an ad. It is quite difficult to find Made in America products, when it should be very simple.

jordypip23

Pelican
Gold Member
Simeon_Strangelight said:
< Nokia was produced in the high-wage country of Finland. And the reason it failed was not because of too high production cost. Nokia designers and managers just missed the boat to smartphones which cost them their lead.

The supply chain of course isn't there in the West, but that can be built just as Nokia had it in 2010. And the phones were not that expensive since Western and Japanese factories just automate more.
Ahh yeah I was a Nokia aficionado for a few years there. It culminated in their Nokia N900 phone with the Maemo operating system. But alas, had to get with the times and migrate to an Android / Samsung.

Bury Zenek said:
Commenting the title of this threat: I see none if people don't wake up.
Correct - there is very little uptick - even the numbers of billionaires would decrease over this.

-------------

As for industrial production in high-wage countries - South-Korea isn't a low-wage shithole with low regulations either:

[img=640x480]https://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/photo/201406/3754_5146_0.jpg[/img]

They have a ton of manufacturing in S.Korea.

It's possible - don't let the globalist sheister media tell you otherwise because the Koreans did not listen to them either - they had a union of government/big corporations to make it happen there. Their government would move hard against any large company if they tried to close everything down and produce only in China or Vietnam.

In the West the goverments are even giving incentives for companies to offshore - leaders are happily trying to impede the success of businessmen. It's a deliberate agenda of de-industrializing the West.

ilostabet

Kingfisher
I have been speaking a lot more, on the phone but still, with family members. Many of them have started talking about growing food in the space they have. Some of the ones out of work are making inroads to leave the city. Suddenly they all realize that the system always was very fragile, and it is up to us to be antifragile and disconnect.

I am really enjoying my time at home with my wife, we are actually having the time of our lives. When we do go out, we go for a stroll in the woods nearby, no back and forth for hours commuting and too tired to think. I haven't had a single fight with my wife since I started working from home exclusively two months ago and I can now say it was basically the stress from going in and out of the city and being in a large office building that was making me irritated all the time and taking it out on her. I can take breaks to check on my plants and actually deal with problems as they arise, instead of doing it only at the weekends when the damn aphids have taken over a whole plant. I am reading much more, listening to a lot more music, and exercising more. People in my family report similar things. Even the ones who lost jobs or are temporarily unable to work, they are looking for alternatives, and those of us who still have jobs are helping the ones who don't. I am still seeing my parents and inlaws, and as for the rest of the family, I didn't see them that often to begin with, but at least now we speak on the phone and check on each other. Strangely, all of this has brought us together, and refocused some of our priorities. With no footy and no new entertainment, people are getting busy. One of my uncles has sent me pictures of his backyard, which was full of useless stuff, now basically covered with planters.

Whatever the plans of the psychopaths in charge of the system, I think this is actually getting people to focus more on what is important. That is, at least, what I am observing.

gework

Pelican
Gold Member
Double post. Too sweet.

BuzzFeed will no longer cover local news and politics in the UK and Australia. It is shutting down the two BuzzFeed News operations, citing "economic and strategic reasons."

The hard news BuzzFeed News division is separate from the softer, entertainment-focused BuzzFeed flagship site.

“We are going to focus on news that hits big in the United States during this difficult period,” a BuzzFeed spokesperson told multiple media outlets.

The decision comes less than two months after the company cut staffers’ pay by 5% to 25%, to deal with the repercussions of the COVID-19 pandemic on the industry.

The London office was set up in 2013. About 10 U.K. employees have been furloughed until the end of June and will likely not return to work, according to the Press Gazette. Eleven U.K. staffers will remain in total, who focus on social news, celebrity and investigations.

Four in Australia were furloughed.

BuzzFeed News UK, which also oversees the company's operations in Germany, Brazil, Japan, Mexico and India, experienced a loss of about $12.3 million (£9.4 million) in 2018.

BuzzFeed’s losses in its international business quadrupled that year.

The company closed its operations in France in December 2018 and in Spain in January 2019.

In the U.S., BuzzFeed named Mark Schoofs its next editor in chief last week, succeeding Ben Smith, who left for The New York Times earlier this year. Schoofs formed the outlet’s investigations team.
CEO Nancy Dubuc announced plans to cut 55 staffers in the U.S. and 100 abroad.
Citing business challenges and a low return on investment from resources spent on producing content for digital platforms, Vice Media C.E.O. Nancy Dubuc announced plans on Friday morning for 155 employees to be laid off. [This is 5% of employees]

In a memo, Dubuc said that 55 staffers will be cut on Friday in the U.S. and that "approximately" 100 staffers will be cut abroad "over the coming weeks."

"I want you to know that we've done absolutely everything we could to protect these positions for as long as possible, and your time and contributions will forever be part of who we are and who we will become," Dubuc wrote in the memo, which was obtained by The Hollywood Reporter.

In February 2019, as part of a reorganization, the company cut 10 percent of its staff, or approximately 250 people.

In the memo, Dubuc told staffers that "tough decisions" had to be made about the company's digital teams, which she said account for 50 percent of Vice's headcount costs but only generate 21 percent of the company's revenue. But, she said the company was able to preserve 90 percent of digital roles.

"Looking at our business holistically, this imbalance needed to be addressed for the long-term health of our company," she wrote.

The global spread of the novel coronavirus pandemic has completely upended the digital media business model, resulting in layoffs or furloughs at almost every prominent company in the industry..

Dubuc said in the memo that laid off employees will receive severance pay and will be able to keep their work-issued laptops. U.S.-based employees will also receive extended health benefits coverage through the end of 2020.

"Saying goodbye to you today is our loss entirely and as the leader of this company, I take personal responsibility," she wrote.

Dubuc also used the memo to lament the "great threat to journalism" posed by "Big Tech" companies.

[My note: As much as big tech censors, big tech are beacons of free speech in comparison to the corporate media.]

"We grew our digital business faster than anyone at a time when we believed that as more pies were baked, we'd keep getting a slice," she wrote. "We work hard for that slice — we make great shows, write culture-driving stories and break news on issues no one else wants to touch. But we aren't seeing the return from the platforms benefiting and making money from our hard work. Now, after many years of this, the squeeze is becoming a chokehold. Platforms are not just taking a larger slice of the pie, but almost the whole pie. And while the crescendo has been building for some time, now it is more clear than ever ... 36,000+ lost jobs in journalism is enough to take your breath away."

Ending with an industry-wide call to action, Dubuc added, "It's time we stand together as a media industry and address the serious issues that have slowly eroded the original promise of the Internet: a tool to bring society on more equal footing through knowledge and creativity unparalleled."

Vice Media's union criticized the layoffs in a statement on Friday morning, claiming that the company "repeatedly refused to discuss workshare programs, like the one that the Los Angeles Times used to avoid layoffs, with our unions" and "did not agree to make further cuts to executive compensation before laying off 100 employees."

Summing up the situation, the union said: "We understand that the entire news industry is hurting. We do not understand why Vice chose to lay off many of our colleagues in the middle of a global pandemic instead of exhausting all options to save these jobs."
After reducing pay and furloughing some staffers, Condé Nast is having to make further cuts as it treads water amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The publisher of Vogue, The New Yorker, GQ, Vanity Fair and other titles just revealed it was laying off around 100 staffers in the U.S. Another 100 staffers will be furloughed, while others will be placed on reduced working hours. It did not disclose where the job losses would occur, but the furloughs are understood to be in areas heavily impacted by the COVID-19 crisis, such as events.

“Through this crisis we’ve all gone through many states of emotion, personally and professionally, and I’m deeply saddened to have to write this note with the news that we’ll be saying goodbye to some of our U.S. colleagues,” chief executive officer Roger Lynch said in a memo to staffers. “These decisions are never easy, and not something I ever take lightly.”

The announcement comes on top of a number of cost-cutting measures already taken at the company. In early April, Lynch informed employees that from May 1 he would cut salaries of those making more than $100,000 by between 10 and 20 percent across all markets. The reductions will be in place for five months.

Lynch took a 50 percent reduction in his base salary, as did the external members of its board. The rest of the executive leadership team — which includes Vogue editor in chief and Condé Nast artistic director Anna Wintour, who is one of the publishing company’s highest-paid executives — reduced their base salaries by 20 percent.

In addition, the media company implemented reduced working hours and work week schedules such as three- to four-day work weeks for certain roles, “in particular where government programs and stimulus packages can help supplement employees’ earnings.” At the time, Lynch admitted that job losses were likely, but did not offer any further details.

As reported by WWD, Condé, which has around 6,000 employees worldwide, has also adjusted the publishing schedule of some of its U.S. titles, including Vogue, Vanity Fair and Condé Nast Traveler, due to falling advertising and difficulty of producing content.
The Economist said it is eliminating 90 non-editorial jobs
And this is with the billions of oligarch investment.

Last edited:
I'm far more red pill than I ever thought I could be. Best thing I've done is kill all cable and ditch my smartphone. Screw you google and Apple. Same to you MSM.

This is going to force people into a much more 'local'/provincial mode of thinking. Could it be the globalists have goofed?