Long-term benefits of the Coronavirus Pandemic

kel

Ostrich
RE: Long-term benefits of the Coronavirus Pandemic Thread

dicknixon72 said:
For a country as God-given bountiful with an abundance of natural resources and man-made talent to choose to offshore vital production of everyday goods to save nickels and dimes is disgusting. I would gladly pay $250 more for an American television set or another $2500 for a car made 80%+ of US/Canadian components.

Start with what's possible. Food is an easy one. Get food as locally as possible, from small farmers, and be willing to pay more to support them.

Clothes are next. Most clothes are made in Bangladesh sweatshops, but you can get custom stuff made for you that will feel and look great. But, it won't be $20. Accept that you'll pay more for pants, and pay a qualified craftsman to make them. Be willing to repair them when necessary. Also, get stuff from thrift stores and have them hemmed.

dicknixon72

Pelican

kel said:
dicknixon72 said:
For a country as God-given bountiful with an abundance of natural resources and man-made talent to choose to offshore vital production of everyday goods to save nickels and dimes is disgusting. I would gladly pay $250 more for an American television set or another $2500 for a car made 80%+ of US/Canadian components.

Start with what's possible. Food is an easy one. Get food as locally as possible, from small farmers, and be willing to pay more to support them.

Clothes are next. Most clothes are made in Bangladesh sweatshops, but you can get custom stuff made for you that will feel and look great. But, it won't be $20. Accept that you'll pay more for pants, and pay a qualified craftsman to make them. Be willing to repair them when necessary. Also, get stuff from thrift stores and have them hemmed.

See what you're doing there? You just created several jobs for several small businesses. We treat everything in this country today as we do a Bic lighter - buy it super cheap, it breaks, cheaper to replace, throw it away.

Do you throw away your car when it breaks? Of course not.

When you buy an automobile, you contribute to the manufacturer and to the retailer. You also contribute to a mechanic shop, tire shop, car wash/detail business, and multitudes of accessory shops (stereos, tint, etc.) if you're so inclined. You just provided incomes for dozens of men and women because of your purchase and - more importantly - your consideration and value for continued investment in your purchase.

There is a big kick right now - especially in a service/hospitality-focused state like Florida - to support your small business owners who have restaurants by ordering takeout from them instead of McDonalds, etc. Hopefully this sentiment expands and continues on a regional and national level.

Pay a little more for a TV set. When it breaks, hire someone in your community to repair it. Let a young whiz kid make a few bucks instead of Tsienzeng Heavy Industrial Co.

Pay a little more for your clothes. If it doesn't fit perfectly, hire someone in your community to alter it. Let her make a few bucks.

Obviously, many things we use will have to come from overseas. In which case, make it a point to purchase from companies/countries friendly to the United States, i.e. not China.

AntoniusofEfa

Kingfisher

More advantages I just noticed now:
*People will value things that last and are repairable, since they would not have the means to just go ahead and take out a loan to buy new stuff instead of fixing them.
*Women will have to discover the contents of their closet, since the shops that sell cheap sweat shops clothes are closed, and the whole cheap shit supply chain is busted
*(Relevant for Europe) Local factories are the first one able to ship clothes once the whole mess is done. Quality cloth is still mostly made in the France, Italy or the UK.

Hopefully the coming crisis will develop into a two-year depression, changing the way we work, live, and appreciate the people in our lives.

Just one point about Electronics: It has to be designed to be repairable from the get go. Current products, both consumer and Pro level, for many industries, are not made for that. In most cases, the PCB is so densely packed, and has so many layers, and such small components, that one cannot simply replace a single capacitor. The whole thing needs to go. The 1979 Audio Amplifier I own will last another few decades, simply because I have the schematics, Bill Of Materials, and everything is spaced out. Even automotive Electronics have are usually simulated for a 10 to 15 year lifespan. The only thing that is built (and certified) to last are Avionic Electronics. They still use interconnect parts from the 70's (e.g. ARINC 429) because they simply work.

Enhanced Eddie

Pelican
Gold Member
Dusty said:
We got incontrovertible evidence that Madonna can’t sing.

Fried fish? Fish is the symbol for Christianity. As she sings it, she does the "L" for "loser" hand sign at the camera.

Madonna is a Satanist. She's often seen wearing the red kaballah wristband. Her videos and shows are full of all kinds of Satanic symbols.

On her most recent tour she was wearing a gas mask and had dancers fall to the ground as if dead. Very reminiscent of the situation we're in now.

On the back of her latest album, she's typing on a type writer of the brand "corona". Tom Hanks recently tweeted a picture of a corona type writer too... wish I had bookmarked.

I'm sure these are all coincidences. We don't want to get too conspiratorial, right?

Except for all the people dying, the consequences of Corona virus are all positive according to me.

I think we will see massive societal changes, the main outcome will be a new political and philosophical discussion, that does away with the fake left/right democracy. We'll see this debate end up in a true, new political discourse, that fits our age, not just keeping alive these antiquated institutions and ideas from the industrial age.

I hope that it will lead to nationalism, universal basic income and a rejection of globalism. At the very least.

I also hope that it will end sportsball, pop music and overpriced coffee shops, but these are just my personal hopes and dreams.

Arado

Pelican
Gold Member
The rise of telemedicine, which will make it easier to replace doctors with AI, saving a ton of cost in the health industry.

Emancipator

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I know the forum has it roots in international travel.

But Instagram has totally ruined the sense of "adventure" behind it this past decade.

World travel is going to get a lot more "pure" again.

Sherman

Ostrich
If the West continues to trade with Communist China after this holocaust, then nothing has been gained, and the West deserves its destruction. Americans need to repent for buying cheap Chinese goods and supporting this. We have also: ignored the destruction of Tibet, agreed to isolate Taiwan from the world community, abandoned Hong Kong, profited from slave labor, ignored repression of religious groups, including Falun Gong. We have empowered an evil regime and our mortal enemy. Despite their responsibility for covering up this virus, the Communist Regime is initiating an active propaganda campaign to blame it on the United States. This says everything about their true motives.

https://mises.org/wire/chinese-regime-has-made-chinas-woes-much-worse

If there are large numbers of deaths due to the Chinese Virus, housing prices should come down considerably as older people die off disproportionally. This will have a positive effect for younger couples owning their own home and starting family formation instead of the never-ending rent trap that many young people find themselves in currently.

Emancipator

Hummingbird
Gold Member
John Michael Kane said:
If there are large numbers of deaths due to the Chinese Virus, housing prices should come down considerably as older people die off disproportionally. This will have a positive effect for younger couples owning their own home and starting family formation instead of the never-ending rent trap that many young people find themselves in currently.

You just know there's going to be a chunk of Millennial inheriting their parent's home and selling it under valued to fuel their consumerism.

Either rent seeking landlords or Young families will benefit from depressed prices.

AnonymousBosch

Crow
Gold Member
Sherman said:
If the West continues to trade with Communist China after this holocaust, then nothing has been gained, and the West deserves its destruction. Americans need to repent for buying cheap Chinese goods and supporting this. We have also: ignored the destruction of Tibet, agreed to isolate Taiwan from the world community, abandoned Hong Kong, profited from slave labor, ignored repression of religious groups, including Falun Gong. We have empowered an evil regime and our mortal enemy. Despite their responsibility for covering up this virus, the Communist Regime is initiating an active propaganda campaign to blame it on the United States. This says everything about their true motives.

https://mises.org/wire/chinese-regime-has-made-chinas-woes-much-worse

Funny, everyone the US has ever told me was a 'regime' wasn't. I never heard Trump use that phrase against Macron with his response to the Yellow Vest Movement.

The thing is, we did talk about this. Conservatives called us Commies and Libtards and Hippies and Bleeding Hearts. When Wall Street outsourced all our jobs to them, both Left and Right and Hollywood then mocked us as poor rednecks for saying 'they took our jobs' because capitalist profit is all that matters. We were called commies for Anti-Free Trade and Anti-stances Globalism - which were Conservative Values in 2000 because 'muh Capitalism'. If we started questioning this ten years down the road, we were then called Racists and Xenophobes by the Left. If you brought the Catholic Church's persecution in China up to Evangelical Christian groups, they were more concerned with saying you were in the 'whore of babylon' than actual human rights abuses. If you questioned why the Chinese were allowed to buy up so much land and companies in Australia and were allowed such high levels of immigration the two (((media arms))) would call you racist and bleat how (((diversity is our strength))), and questioning (((the superiority of multiculturalism))) in a public way was made illegal in our (((legal system))) back in 1994, though most Australians are unaware of this.

It's only now, that China is threatening Israel's Oil interests with their new Silk Road, that they've suddenly been upgraded the the latest Evil Empire to be defeated in the name of muh Patriotic Democracy, the two (((Media arms))) are now regularly posting emotional, Anti-China stories, and people suddenly give enough of a crap to instantly accuse you of colluding with the enemy for being very, very tired of this stupid, transparent game.

I can forgive you for not listening then, but don't expect me to pay attention now.

Going strong

Crow
Gold Member
Kona said:
I stopped drinking beer.

And all around the world, city hipsters, hookers, traders and moviemakers have stopped snorting coke, as the drug trade is massively disturbed by all this circus.

Not a gram of coke or heroin reach the end-customer anymore! Good news for public health, but alas, good news for local meth labs too: International drug cartels are thwarted, the market is back in the hands of local entrepreneurs.

giphy.gif

^time to reopen the old low-tech lab!

I actually suspect that Heisenberg released the virus, to destroy foreign competency, and then, the whole US market is his!

Breaking-Bad-image-breaking-bad-36277285-474-267.gif

^actual pic of the coronavirus about to escape Wuhan Laboratory. Mexican cartels will never get their trade routes back.

Easy_C

Peacock
My question remains.

If the Deep State and the elites are all conspiring to stir up a war with China, then why on earth is every media outlet they control and the big tech giants running to bat for China to protect them and help them look good?

Try searching for Chinese real death count on Google vs. non-brand name search engines to see what I’m talking about

Mountaineer

Pelican
Gold Member
We all know Nobel Prize winners in literature are given this title because they help the Jewish narrative. Like Olga Tokarczuk recently in Poland. A communist hag pushing open society down everyone's throats. Scum.

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
ilostabet said:
The grandchild will not believe it. It is too surreal and insane. Grandpa will agree and tell the child that people back then only realized how crazy it was when a deadly virus came knocking from China. 'China, grandpa?'. Grandpa will show it in the map, and the child's eyes will open wide in amazement. 'Strange, isn't it? And it all started with a bat'.

A man can dream.

And a thousand years later people will scoff at the fairy tale. :laugh:

dicknixon72 said:
Pay a little more for a TV set. When it breaks, hire someone in your community to repair it. Let a young whiz kid make a few bucks instead of Tsienzeng Heavy Industrial Co.

Or it doesn't break at all, which was the case for many consumer good built locally to a quality rather than a price. When you rely on local markets you are far less likely to run lowest common denominator assembly lines on the presumption of simply being able to rebrand your product every other year.

"This Panasony TV is junk. I wonder if these new Samsunks are any good".

nomadbrah said:
I hope that it will lead to nationalism, universal basic income and a rejection of globalism. At the very least.

It would be nice if we could just cut to the chase and pay 50% of the median wage to all stay-at-home mothers with one child and 100% of the median wage to all stay at home mothers with 2 or more kids.

Abolish most other forms of welfare. Good for families. Good for the jobs market. Men hunt. Women nest.

Horus

Ostrich
Gold Member
I don't suppose abortion clinics will be forced to close during lockdown will they? Or are they considered an "essential service?"