Looking to Plan a Likely Move to Florida

So with everything that's going on, and even despite some slight reservations on things, I am looking at the likelihood of permanently moving to Florida and am also considering the Panhandle region.

In a lot of my travels in Florida, I have found especially recently how much certain places which used to be really great have been flooded with some very undesirable elements and so many areas of Florida that are just endless Strip Malls and where the businesses are all part of Strip Malls and Plazas rather than separate establishments. The last time I visited Florida was in 2018.

That being said, my favorite areas of Florida are St. Augustine, Key West and Naples. I used to like Daytona Beach but it has changed for the worse.

I am from a Middle Class family so I will not be able to live extravagantly down there, but will be working remotely.

While I'm pretty sure I won't find the exact combination of everything the way I want it, I'm hoping to find the following attributes as much as possible on my path to relocation:

1. Looking for areas that are not laid out like Strip Malls and Plazas along the Interstate / Prefer areas with more walkability and parks I can visit on foot.
2. Prefer to be in an area that is lower crime with less Meth-heads and criminals.
3. Prefer to be an in area less susceptible to damage and influence of the Hurricanes that are commonly devastating in Florida.
4. Ideally looking to live among the German communities if possible, of which I know many areas with good amount of Germans, though I'm not sure if there is a lot of German youth.
5. Looking to live where there are larger amounts of young generations than the Elderly / Retirees.
6. A Place where there is a higher element of quality in the individuals, and a sense of community and interaction between locals. But I understand community is very non-existent in FL and transient activity is high. All Large cities are "off limits" because I know what these cities are like and the types of superficial people who live in them.
7. Also interested in Off-Grid Living / Community Areas but not a requirement.

If anyone can give me any suggestions or if you live in Florida yourself and might be able to help me or host me getting resettled down there, please let me know, and I would be interested in speaking with you on Skype.

Last edited:
Sounds good. Ron Desantis is pretty damn Based as a governor.
Pretty Much... At the rate I'm looking at things, Florida and the Midwest are really the only good places left even while the USA is a sinking ship.

Though I am not sure if I can tolerate cold winters anymore, it's getting harder on me each year. I rather deal with the soupy humidity in Florida.

South Dakota or another Midwestern State would be alternatives at this rate, however with very different Demographics and lifestyles obviously. But I really am more keen on Florida.

I don't want to move until or unless I have an "in" with some people, because it gives all that better of a reason to move where there can be a purpose and goal to work towards. If I found an "in" in a Midwestern State instead, then I'd consider that instead.

dicknixon72

Pelican
A note on some of your requirements
1) Unless the community is older, good luck. This is development, baby, at it will touch any part of Florida you would likely desire to live in. However, there are areas better than others.
2) Outside of parts of Jacksonville, SE Florida, and Orlando, Florida does not have the preponderance of urban-style crime familiar to the rest of the US. The white trash junkies are a bit of a concern in certain areas. Lakeland and West Pasco County seem to have a higher portion in this part of the state.
3) Despite the notoriety for hurricanes, Florida has received far less than its share of truly devastating storms. The currents and peninsular shape have much to do with it and the most susceptible areas historically run along SE FL, which, again, you wouldn't want to live in anyway. More of a concern are slower-moving tropical storms and tropical systems that park and dump inches and inches of rain during the summer months.
4) Not sure of any Germanic population of any significance in Florida in general.
5) That's going to be your biggest incongruency - the more youthful areas are more left-leaning and likely undesirable to you to live. You will have to accept an older-than-average population as living in 'good' Florida.

Since I am most familiar with West Central Florida, let me suggest...
  • Crystal River
  • Dade City
  • Zephyrhills
  • Brooksville
  • Winter Haven
  • North Port/Port Charlotte
You are within proximity to the Tampa/St. Pete MSA for all your conveniences and necessities along with opportunities to enjoy the beautiful Gulf of Mexico, yet far out enough to find less-dense areas with available land/property opportunities and either interact with a smaller, more traditional 'Main Street' community, or at the very least less population.

North Port/Port Charlotte of course will be more expensive than the others because of proximity to the water.

If you need to be within a denser metro in Tampa/St. Pete, I can recommend some enclaves within.

A note on some of your requirements
1) Unless the community is older, good luck. This is development, baby, at it will touch any part of Florida you would likely desire to live in. However, there are areas better than others.
2) Outside of parts of Jacksonville, SE Florida, and Orlando, Florida does not have the preponderance of urban-style crime familiar to the rest of the US. The white trash junkies are a bit of a concern in certain areas. Lakeland and West Pasco County seem to have a higher portion in this part of the state.
3) Despite the notoriety for hurricanes, Florida has received far less than its share of truly devastating storms. The currents and peninsular shape have much to do with it and the most susceptible areas historically run along SE FL, which, again, you wouldn't want to live in anyway. More of a concern are slower-moving tropical storms and tropical systems that park and dump inches and inches of rain during the summer months.
4) Not sure of any Germanic population of any significance in Florida in general.
5) That's going to be your biggest incongruency - the more youthful areas are more left-leaning and likely undesirable to you to live. You will have to accept an older-than-average population as living in 'good' Florida.

Since I am most familiar with West Central Florida, let me suggest...
  • Crystal River
  • Dade City
  • Zephyrhills
  • Brooksville
  • Winter Haven
  • North Port/Port Charlotte
You are within proximity to the Tampa/St. Pete MSA for all your conveniences and necessities along with opportunities to enjoy the beautiful Gulf of Mexico, yet far out enough to find less-dense areas with available land/property opportunities and either interact with a smaller, more traditional 'Main Street' community, or at the very least less population.

North Port/Port Charlotte of course will be more expensive than the others because of proximity to the water.

If you need to be within a denser metro in Tampa/St. Pete, I can recommend some enclaves within.
Very interesting, Thanks... Yeah what you stated is actually exactly what I feared / suspected. The fact that most of the "Red-leaning" are probably among the Older Generation mostly. There seems to be a very stark contrast between the White / Retiree population and Florida vs the Immigrant Classes and Leftist regions, and I've noticed this big time whenever I've traveled there.

As far as Orlando goes, I'd consider it maybe in earlier times but I hear that people there are almost like Zombies and that it's a place where people seek to Exploit everyone, especially if they see you are a "Normal" person, meaning "Not Damaged". As I understand too, homelessness is increasing in a lot of the big cities especially like there and Miami, though I plan on mostly keeping out of the big cities.

The German populations are definitely nowhere as significant like the Midwest, but I've heard in general that about 11% of Florida has German Ancestry. There seem to be a ton of German Social Clubs and a lot of them are settled in various areas on each coast as well as the Panhandle, but Cape Coral seems to have a lot of them including Port Charlotte, which you happened to also list and it's an area I am considering.

All of what happens is going to largely depend on me finding a situation with some people down there, so I guess we shall see.

I live in Massachusetts currently and I'm seriously fed up with this state and everyone in it. Same goes for all New England / Northeast in General.

Hypno

Crow
1. Research homeowners insurance. My sister lives in suburban Fort Lauderdale and pays more for homeowners insurance than her mortgage. A lot of people do because of how the insurance companies have mismanaged past disasters.

2. Hurricane threat is overrated. Especially if you are 5-10 miles inland from the coast. At your price point, you will probably be inland.

3. Off grid. Most places in Florida you are close to a canal or lake so fresh water is not a problem. At worst, you have drill a ten foot well. But the water wil lots of iron and you'll need to invest in purifiers. Not sure what permitting is like for waste if you are not on a sewer line. With the water table so high, I would think septic permits are next to impossible. Electricity - you will need a lot to run that air conditioner in the summer.

4. Germans - South Florida on the East coast is mostly Cubans, Carribeans, South Americans, and people from the East Coast like New York and New Jersey. The west Coast, Tampa to Naples, has midwesterners and more likely to have Germans. Panhandle to Destin is military. Destin is rich people from Atlanta. East of Destin to Orlando is South South Geogia.

5. Key West, St. Augustine, Naples. Key West and Naples are going to be expensive. St. Augustine is small and tends older. Naples tends older. Key West skews towards low quality individuals.

6. Three Suggestions - (1) look in the panhandle from Pensacola to Panama City Beach. Lots of military and ex-military, middle class folks. Likely to find "community" that you are looking for if you like that type; it won't be a NYC salon type community. Prices should be cheaper. Climate a bit cooler in the winter. Tradeoff is the area is less posh, a little tackier. Crime issues will depend on the neighborhood and as mentioned by someone above you will have the white trash meth type crime in some areas. Strip malls will be an issue. Parks - in Florida, the beach is the park, and the beaches in the panhandle are among the best with calm water and soft sugary sand. There are also some nature preserves, stuff like that. Not parks like Central Park in NYC. (2) If you want a city type environment, Jacksonville is very underrated especially if you enjoy boating or golf. Parts of the northside and westside have high crime, though. (3) For a semirural idea, look north of Jacksonville like Amelia Islanda, Fernandina Beach (which is on Amelia Island). JAX has a decent size airport and its north of the city. (4) I would have recommended Daytona/Ormond Beach/Ponce Inlet, but you already nixed that. Youngish population, good restaurants and beach. An hour from Orlando. Gainesville is similar with a large university but no beach.

1. Research homeowners insurance. My sister lives in suburban Fort Lauderdale and pays more for homeowners insurance than her mortgage. A lot of people do because of how the insurance companies have mismanaged past disasters.

2. Hurricane threat is overrated. Especially if you are 5-10 miles inland from the coast. At your price point, you will probably be inland.

3. Off grid. Most places in Florida you are close to a canal or lake so fresh water is not a problem. At worst, you have drill a ten foot well. But the water wil lots of iron and you'll need to invest in purifiers. Not sure what permitting is like for waste if you are not on a sewer line. With the water table so high, I would think septic permits are next to impossible. Electricity - you will need a lot to run that air conditioner in the summer.

4. Germans - South Florida on the East coast is mostly Cubans, Carribeans, South Americans, and people from the East Coast like New York and New Jersey. The west Coast, Tampa to Naples, has midwesterners and more likely to have Germans. Panhandle to Destin is military. Destin is rich people from Atlanta. East of Destin to Orlando is South South Geogia.

5. Key West, St. Augustine, Naples. Key West and Naples are going to be expensive. St. Augustine is small and tends older. Naples tends older. Key West skews towards low quality individuals.

6. Three Suggestions - (1) look in the panhandle from Pensacola to Panama City Beach. Lots of military and ex-military, middle class folks. Likely to find "community" that you are looking for if you like that type; it won't be a NYC salon type community. Prices should be cheaper. Climate a bit cooler in the winter. Tradeoff is the area is less posh, a little tackier. Crime issues will depend on the neighborhood and as mentioned by someone above you will have the white trash meth type crime in some areas. Strip malls will be an issue. Parks - in Florida, the beach is the park, and the beaches in the panhandle are among the best with calm water and soft sugary sand. There are also some nature preserves, stuff like that. Not parks like Central Park in NYC. (2) If you want a city type environment, Jacksonville is very underrated especially if you enjoy boating or golf. Parts of the northside and westside have high crime, though. (3) For a semirural idea, look north of Jacksonville like Amelia Islanda, Fernandina Beach (which is on Amelia Island). JAX has a decent size airport and its north of the city. (4) I would have recommended Daytona/Ormond Beach/Ponce Inlet, but you already nixed that. Youngish population, good restaurants and beach. An hour from Orlando. Gainesville is similar with a large university but no beach.
Thanks for your information, I really appreciate it.

#1 & #2: Yeah, most likely I would be renting a room or guest house in Florida, which is what I'm looking for at least to begin with, but I definitely prefer to be less hit in the wake of an actual devastating hurricane, but I also hear it's not as bad the more inland you are.

#5: I agree, of course all beautiful and very prestigious destinations.

In a way I am almost willing to overlook any negatives of a particular place for the most part although the hardest limit would be the fact that I don't want to be in the big cities but maybe I'll go for just outside.

Overall my biggest challenge at this point is just trying to find a way to make connections down there and to spend some months to decide for sure where I'd want to settle before finalizing a move.

I'm having a major problem also on Craigslist because they now censor any post even looking out of one's immediate region for new apartments or people to connect with down there. Something that I've never had a problem with in the past.

I seem to be running out of negotiating power of trying to connect with people on any level these days even as far as trying to make a move, I almost no longer understand what it takes to feel I can be a part of something or even a neighborhood of people where I feel at home, and to be able to have someone who can show me around and has a similar lifestyle / values. The important factor is I need to find areas (if they exist) where the people are mostly real in Florida, because I know how fake and out of touch with reality so many people there are, but then again there is such a mixture of people.

I did not like Fort Myers or Miami at all, though it's probably going to be somewhere in Central Florida that I end up.

I actually just responded to the other thread about good states to live in - and provided some insight about Florida as I just spent a week down there. Naples was cool but look at the median age there. Obsession with materialism equates to fake-ass people, IMO. Lots of botox and status chasing - sorta felt like LA at times.

Regarding the issue of meeting folks, do you play any sports? Team sports, especially co-ed, can be great. I practice jiu jitsu which is just about in every region. Also check out meetup groups and see how many align with your values and interests (I've done this with several cities I'm interested in).

I actually just responded to the other thread about good states to live in - and provided some insight about Florida as I just spent a week down there. Naples was cool but look at the median age there. Obsession with materialism equates to fake-ass people, IMO. Lots of botox and status chasing - sorta felt like LA at times.

Regarding the issue of meeting folks, do you play any sports? Team sports, especially co-ed, can be great. I practice jiu jitsu which is just about in every region. Also check out meetup groups and see how many align with your values and interests (I've done this with several cities I'm interested in).
Hey there. Yeah Naples is a beautiful place but definitely out of my league for affordability and also I would be a nobody among them.

Unfortunately I don't play any sports. But I might have to look into the meetup groups or locate some forums that might still exist to try to find a way to work it out.

Hypno

Crow
Tell us some more about yourself and we can be more helpful. Age, race, occupation, family.

If I were you, I would drive down there and get a 1-week Air BNB rental in several places. Pensacola, Fort Walton, PC Beach, Amelia Island, Gainesville, Port Charlotte, Sarasota.

Central Florida is sort of a pit. You either are in the more rural area with meth an old people or the boring suburban sprawl of the orlando area.

Tell us some more about yourself and we can be more helpful. Age, race, occupation, family.

If I were you, I would drive down there and get a 1-week Air BNB rental in several places. Pensacola, Fort Walton, PC Beach, Amelia Island, Gainesville, Port Charlotte, Sarasota.

Central Florida is sort of a pit. You either are in the more rural area with meth an old people or the boring suburban sprawl of the orlando area.
Yes, I'm 38, Single, Never Married / No Children. I am Italian and German, but get along much better with other Germans.

I own my own IT Business and will be able to work mostly remotely and at anywhere I need to and will have someone maintain older clients in the area here where I live now (Massachusetts).

I also have signed up to Air BNB recently too so I am checking that out.

Hypno

Crow
IT - you are probably pretty smart - check out Gainesville because of the University. Tallahassee too but its a little bigger with the capitol, further from the beach.
German - area from Tampa to Naples is where the midwesterners go.
38 - you'll probably find a good number of men near Pensacola and Fort Walton in the Panhandle, due to military bases. After 20 years, guys can retire from the military, a lot stay around because Florida is a nice place.

Thanks, yeah the Tampa area and Jacksonville seem to be more reasonable areas work-wise. So we'll see where it goes. I would love to Live in Naples if it were affordable or if I blended in well, but in times I've visited there, it's been far from the case.

Guess we shall see what happens, because it seems very difficult to find people who don't flake out down there. I have one proposal at the moment of a furnished place in St. Augustine, at least as a possibility for the time being.

paninaro

Pelican
Since you have some flexibility, I'd say spend a few weeks or months in each city you are considering before you make a final decision. That will give you enough time to really get a feel for each place.

Also there's an old joke that Florida gets more "north" the further south you go i.e. South Florida is more like the Northeast US, while North Florida is more like the Southern US.

Since you have some flexibility, I'd say spend a few weeks or months in each city you are considering before you make a final decision. That will give you enough time to really get a feel for each place.

Also there's an old joke that Florida gets more "north" the further south you go i.e. South Florida is more like the Northeast US, while North Florida is more like the Southern US.
EXACTLY, that is 100% of what I'm planning to do before ever finalizing a move there and all of my belongings. I'm wary of all the things that go on down in Florida overall. And I'm not going there to be in paradise per se but that just so happens to be a benefit if I do get the chances to be drinking coconut juice under the palm trees. I just mainly need to connect with the right people down there, because otherwise moving as a solitary person or even if I had a family, you can never really put down roots or "settle in" when moving any other way.

I've also heard of that joke you mentioned about when you are more up North :D The people even look more like "Southerners" too, compared to the South, haha.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
you sound like a poorfag who will be living in a trailer or camper.
tenor.gif

finger11

Sparrow
Looking at a possible move to FL to escape the quickly declining San Diego area. Two middle 30's with an infant looking for a quiet family-oriented area in FL. Any suggestions would be welcome.
We'd both be working remote but need decent access to an international airport for family/work travel. Beach access nearby is also a requirement. Thanks.