Looking to Plan a Likely Move to Florida

Looking at a possible move to FL to escape the quickly declining San Diego area. Two middle 30's with an infant looking for a quiet family-oriented area in FL. Any suggestions would be welcome.
We'd both be working remote but need decent access to an international airport for family/work travel. Beach access nearby is also a requirement. Thanks.

Have you ever been? Your comment about beach access suggests not. If you don't know these areas...should you really up and move?

Cortés

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Have you ever been? Your comment about beach access suggests not. If you don't know these areas...should you really up and move?

Not sure why you'd assume that. While most of the good spots to live in Florida are along the coasts, you still have places some people would recommend like Orlando or Gainesville that are over an hour from a half decent beach.

Looking at a possible move to FL to escape the quickly declining San Diego area. Two middle 30's with an infant looking for a quiet family-oriented area in FL. Any suggestions would be welcome.
We'd both be working remote but need decent access to an international airport for family/work travel. Beach access nearby is also a requirement. Thanks.

If you have the budget, anywhere around Fort Myers is great. While I don't think that there are tons of young families, the people living and visiting there are much better for a family environment than other regions like Miami/Ft Lauderdale. You have tons of retirees and rich boomers with second houses. Whereas South East FL attracts spring breakers, various degenerates and junkies going to rehab. The fort myers airport isn't super connected, but you're under 3 hours drive from Miami, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and Orlando airports. so you are close enough to drive and park, or catch a connecting flight to some of the biggest hubs in the country. It's more expensive than other parts, but if you're moving from Cali then it's still very affordable in comparison.

Last edited:
Not sure why you'd assume that. While most of the good spots to live in Florida are along the coasts, you still have places some people would recommend like Orlando or Gainesville that are over an hour from a half decent beach.

No one recommends living in either of those places, let alone for the beach, but you're proving my point.

The_Trigg

Robin
With all the people wanting to move to Florida lately I'm wondering if we are playing into their hand concentrating ourselves in the supposedly "based" panhandle region. I'm considering a move as well, and FL is still on the list, but have been thinking maybe TN now. FL has red flag laws as well, something to consider if you wish to be a gun owner.

Cortés

Woodpecker
Gold Member
No one recommends living in either of those places, let alone for the beach, but you're proving my point.

There are nice towns in the Orlando metro area and Gainesville didn't seem bad when I passed through. I lived in Florida for almost a year but since you're the Florida expert then you should enlighten us.