Looking to Plan a Likely Move to Florida

Looking at a possible move to FL to escape the quickly declining San Diego area. Two middle 30's with an infant looking for a quiet family-oriented area in FL. Any suggestions would be welcome.
We'd both be working remote but need decent access to an international airport for family/work travel. Beach access nearby is also a requirement. Thanks.

Have you ever been? Your comment about beach access suggests not. If you don't know these areas...should you really up and move?

Cortés

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Have you ever been? Your comment about beach access suggests not. If you don't know these areas...should you really up and move?

Not sure why you'd assume that. While most of the good spots to live in Florida are along the coasts, you still have places some people would recommend like Orlando or Gainesville that are over an hour from a half decent beach.

Looking at a possible move to FL to escape the quickly declining San Diego area. Two middle 30's with an infant looking for a quiet family-oriented area in FL. Any suggestions would be welcome.
We'd both be working remote but need decent access to an international airport for family/work travel. Beach access nearby is also a requirement. Thanks.

If you have the budget, anywhere around Fort Myers is great. While I don't think that there are tons of young families, the people living and visiting there are much better for a family environment than other regions like Miami/Ft Lauderdale. You have tons of retirees and rich boomers with second houses. Whereas South East FL attracts spring breakers, various degenerates and junkies going to rehab. The fort myers airport isn't super connected, but you're under 3 hours drive from Miami, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and Orlando airports. so you are close enough to drive and park, or catch a connecting flight to some of the biggest hubs in the country. It's more expensive than other parts, but if you're moving from Cali then it's still very affordable in comparison.

Last edited:

The_Trigg

Robin
With all the people wanting to move to Florida lately I'm wondering if we are playing into their hand concentrating ourselves in the supposedly "based" panhandle region. I'm considering a move as well, and FL is still on the list, but have been thinking maybe TN now. FL has red flag laws as well, something to consider if you wish to be a gun owner.

Cortés

Woodpecker
Gold Member
No one recommends living in either of those places, let alone for the beach, but you're proving my point.

There are nice towns in the Orlando metro area and Gainesville didn't seem bad when I passed through. I lived in Florida for almost a year but since you're the Florida expert then you should enlighten us.

I am wondering how affordable is Miami, Fl compared to NYC and LA as per 2021?
Is anyone here who has had insight in living all three cities lately?

Depends on how safe you want to be. Miami crime is serious business. The official cost of living is what most of the state is: NYC is about double. However, rent will be higher in Miami than the rest of the state due to the crime and the inflated market. Unless you've lived in Miami or know the city well, I would suggest most avoid it.

Depends on how safe you want to be. Miami crime is serious business. The official cost of living is what most of the state is: NYC is about double. However, rent will be higher in Miami than the rest of the state due to the crime and the inflated market. Unless you've lived in Miami or know the city well, I would suggest most avoid it.
From what I heard back in 2019 the city of North Miami Beach was fairly safe to live in with family, inevitably on the slightly pricier side, I suppose.
As per June 2021 is it still the case?

From what I heard back in 2019 the city of North Miami Beach was fairly safe to live in with family, inevitably on the slightly pricier side, I suppose.
As per June 2021 is it still the case?

Yes but it's declined over the decade. Not bad but slightly sketch, imho. Mostly if you run into the store or something...just somewhat more sketch than years past. Prices are still high.

Cr33pin

Peacock
Gold Member
I am old enough to remember a thread called "The Florida Thread" that was filled with all the crazy crazy happenings in Florida.

giphy.gif

I was trying to purchase a home near the beach in FL a few months back. Kept getting outbid at the last minute. Now, prices are soaring. Seems lots of out-of-staters are flooding the place. Whether that's positive or negative for native Floridians, time will soon tell. From what I understand, it's been mostly liberals from NY and New England, and possibly BlackRock.

Anywho, DeSantis was very close to losing the governor race a few years ago.

Easy_C

Peacock
1) Unless the community is older, good luck. This is development, baby, at it will touch any part of Florida you would likely desire to live in. However, there are areas better than others.
2) Outside of parts of Jacksonville, SE Florida, and Orlando, Florida does not have the preponderance of urban-style crime familiar to the rest of the US. The white trash junkies are a bit of a concern in certain areas. Lakeland and West Pasco County seem to have a higher portion in this part of the state.
3) Despite the notoriety for hurricanes, Florida has received far less than its share of truly devastating storms. The currents and peninsular shape have much to do with it and the most susceptible areas historically run along SE FL, which, again, you wouldn't want to live in anyway. More of a concern are slower-moving tropical storms and tropical systems that park and dump inches and inches of rain during the summer months.
4) Not sure of any Germanic population of any significance in Florida in genera
For those points: If you want a lot of germanic heritage and an older, mostly white population, look at Central and Western Kansas. A number of smaller towns exist which are generally somewhat poorer but quite livable, while being within manageable drives of metro areas where you can handle your "going into town" needs. Blue governor there but the Republican legislature is fired up and behaving rather aggressively.

Old Florida (no strip malls, slow pace): cedar key
Best beaches and like minded patriots: panhandle (excluding Tallahassee)
balance of good beaches and affordability: space coast
high roller: Naples

worst places: Orlando, followed by Tallahassee

With all the people wanting to move to Florida lately I'm wondering if we are playing into their hand concentrating ourselves in the supposedly "based" panhandle region. I'm considering a move as well, and FL is still on the list, but have been thinking maybe TN now. FL has red flag laws as well, something to consider if you wish to be a gun owner.
Hows your experience with each been. I'm from Florida and in law school in TN right now. I was thinking of living in TN permanently but it hasn't been as good as I've heard it to be. I'm thinking of moving back to FL now after I graduate.

There are nice towns in the Orlando metro area and Gainesville didn't seem bad when I passed through. I lived in Florida for almost a year but since you're the Florida expert then you should enlighten us.
No man he's right, you don't know what you're talking about if you think you'd want to live in Gainesville (lived there 5 years).

My favorite remarks from YT comments... :D

"Florida has the happiest miserable people on Earth, God Bless them all."

"Frankly, I'm more interested in a sequel....FLORIDA WOMAN"

"I used to shoot a lot of cocaine." 'I'm good these days, I've been off of that for about half an hour now.'

"Florida! The only state where the further north you go, the more south you get."

"I feel like this is a compilation of every conversation I never wanted to have while waiting for my uber outside of a dive bar."

"No offense to Floridians, but this made me want to get my shit together so I don’t end up in Florida."

"After living in Florida for 30+ years, the only way to survive in this state is to mind your damn business and carry a handgun."

Douglas Quaid

Kingfisher
If you want to be close to Miami, there are generally better places in Broward County (just north of Miami-Dade). Hollywood isn't bad, close to Fort Lauderdale and relatively close to Miami. I'd rather live in the Fort Lauderdale area than Miami. Palm Beach County has some really nice spots, especially in the northern part of the county, but this is getting far from Miami. All three counties have ghetto areas, however.

In my opinion, there are much better places in Florida than the Miami/Fort Lauderdale/West Palm Beach area. The Treasure Coast is just north of South Florida and much more peaceful.