Fasting & Health Low-estrogen keto diet on the strict fast

nagareboshi

Woodpecker
This thread contains some of my non-expert, layperson's investigations on whether it's possible to perform the zero-carb diet on the strict Orthodox fast (no meat, dairy, fish, oil, wine). My requirements were:

- Does it fully adhere to the letter of the fast?
- Does it partially adhere to the spirit of the fast? (not overly rich, luxurious, delicious, or cooked/processed)
- Is it keto? (Low or zero carb)
- Is it low in estrogenic and inflammatory substances?

Fortunately, it seems like this goal is partially possible. Hopefully this can be helpful to some brothers who want to avoid having a food-coma after eating processed white bread for Friday's lunch.

- Macadamia nuts (good source of fat; way lower in omega 6 than peanuts and almonds, and it's not even close)
- Coconut (similarly low in omega 6, high in fat)
- Fermented bean products such as tempeh and natto (high in protein, reduces anti-nutrients, even better if you can ferment it yourself using non-soy beans)
- Kimchi, sauerkraut, probiotic fermented pickles (again, even better if you ferment it yourself)
- Miso soup with seaweed (try to find a low-sugar miso paste with active cultures. And while you're making the soup, might as well eat a big scoop of the fresh paste while its raw.)

A really simple high-protein fermented food is to boil some beans on Thursday morning, smash it and mix in some active probiotic kimchi, and then allow it to sit on the counter until you're ready to eat it on Friday.

Last edited:

4600_fan

Pigeon
Orthodox
A really simple high-protein fermented food is to boil some beans on Thursday morning, smash it and mix in some active probiotic kimchi, and then allow it to sit on the counter until you're ready to eat it on Friday.
Can you give me a recipe for this? Sounds good. I am not looking forward to the nativity fast lol. First year I'll be doing it Orthodox.

nagareboshi

Woodpecker
Can you give me a recipe for this? Sounds good. I am not looking forward to the nativity fast lol. First year I'll be doing it Orthodox.

Recently, I've been using canned beans, which are pre-cooked. You can do it with dry beans too, but those require more soaking and washing and cooking.

- Drain beans from can, rinse several times
- Let the beans soak for 30 minutes
- Boil the beans for a few minutes
- Let it come down to room temperature
- Mix some kimchi along with the active kimchi juices
- Stir it around, allow the beans to "smash up" a bit so that the starches are exposed
- Let it sit on the counter for 24 hours
- Eat it as is

Knight.of.Logos

Robin
Orthodox Catechumen
Recently, I've been using canned beans, which are pre-cooked. You can do it with dry beans too, but those require more soaking and washing and cooking.

- Drain beans from can, rinse several times
- Let the beans soak for 30 minutes
- Boil the beans for a few minutes
- Let it come down to room temperature
- Mix some kimchi along with the active kimchi juices
- Stir it around, allow the beans to "smash up" a bit so that the starches are exposed
- Let it sit on the counter for 24 hours
- Eat it as is
That sounds like a good idea. I have been getting really into fermented foods lately and would like to try fermenting beans.

By the way, I think you mean to say a "no grain" diet, since beans have carbohydrates and carbs aren't bad, just excessive processed carbohydrates are. Having zero carbs can be bad for the health and even most proponents of keto diet like Dave Asprey still recommend having a carb meal once or twice a week, or being in ketosis for so long can have negative side effects. It is all about balance and eating real food.

I think abstaining from grains can be beneficial, but quality grains are quite healthy in my opinion. There is a huge difference between homemade ancient wheat sourdough bread and wonderbread from the store.

newcomer

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
The best keto diet on a fast is actually a water fasting with pink salt lol
it is, but I surely cant do it for extended period of time, i dont know about you. I started fasting wednesdays fridays recently; I try to water fast until 3 pm (not there yet, hit 1 pm last time tho), then eat.
Last Wednesday I had hummus with a piece of bread and almonds, in the evening nuts, raisins and dried papaya mix. I was actually surprised how good I felt.

xmdr

Pigeon
Orthodox
it is, but I surely cant do it for extended period of time, i dont know about you. I started fasting wednesdays fridays recently; I try to water fast until 3 pm (not there yet, hit 1 pm last time tho), then eat.
Last Wednesday I had hummus with a piece of bread and almonds, in the evening nuts, raisins and dried papaya mix. I was actually surprised how good I felt.
Since you ask ... Last November I did 20 days water fast with salt. After the first days, it becomes fairly easy and you feel at peace. Hunger vanishes and after the 15th I felt to be able to go months.

The main issue is boredom and just don't get up quickly cause you might fall lol.

newcomer

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
Since you ask ... Last November I did 20 days water fast with salt. After the first days, it becomes fairly easy and you feel at peace. Hunger vanishes and after the 15th I felt to be able to go months.

The main issue is boredom and just don't get up quickly cause you might fall lol.
given the number of fasting days on orthodox calendar I cant see myself water fast on all of them. Im already losing too much weight without fasting and have difficulty eating enough to sustain it lol.

xmdr

Pigeon
Orthodox
given the number of fasting days on orthodox calendar I cant see myself water fast on all of them. Im already losing too much weight without fasting and have difficulty eating enough to sustain it lol.
Yeah, also I don't think it's ok for spiritual fast, was just joking.

The prayer rule is more important in the church fast. When water fasting the mind wanders and sometimes I have felt apart from God/stopped feeling Grace which was strange - possibly because was too much on my shoulders.

I did it when was far from the church, for purely fatloss reasons.

These two shouldn't be mixed. During lent I ate fasting food and felt closer to God more.

Also, if you do water fasting you are not really conditioning yourself to fight glutony, you may still eat like a pig afterwards you know.

But if you need to loose weight for natural/medical/secular purpose, it's efficient.

xmdr

Pigeon
Orthodox
BTW I have heard for the so called "demonic fast" - no food and with no praying. Some monks are calling it this way to stress the bigger importance of the Prayer rule. Given that some Hindus are do it like that, I am to believe the Orthodox Monks are correct lol.