Low risk investments like CDs

Oberrheiner

Pelican
See the detailed economic and theological analysis by Anthony Santelli Ph. D. in the Culture Wars issue of July/August 2013.
To summarize it very briefly, usury is an act of war cf. Deuteronomy 23:19-20. Christians are allowed to practice it defensively if economic war is waged on them ; if they practice it at the legal rate, they are simply getting back the money that's been stolen from them by usury.

It would be better to not practice usury at all, sure, but one must realize in a world of state-sponsored usury, any group who abstains from usury in any way will get totally destitute in a short time. They might just as well leave society and go live a lonely, rough life on a desert island.

Poverty is an evangelical counsel, not a commandment. Transforming a counsel into a commandment has usually created long-lived economic utopias but short-lived sects.

Sure, anglos can rationalize it any way they want, like any other religious point - we see the results after a while.

Its more interesting to me that you did not capitalize Christian.

Anyway, Martin Luther said interest was OK 500 years ago. ;)

I never capitalize anything, if you noticed.
I also never "like" posts.

There would be a lot to say about luther, but I can't be bothered honestly.
Plus some here could do it way better than me anyway.

Sitting Bull

Sparrow
Sure, anglos can rationalize it any way they want, like any other religious point - we see the results after a while.

You got it wrong on all counts. The article I mentioned was defending an official pronouncement by Pope Pius VIII (not exactly an anglophile) against typically anglo accusations.

Sitting Bull

Sparrow
I don't care who said what - usury is the enslavement of others, if that's not evil to you then we are not on the same side.

In a simple one-to-one usury situation, usury is indeed the enslavement of the borrower to the lender.
But the situation becomes more complex when usury is generalized and "state-sponsored".
Let us consider what might be the simplest example - in today's world, someone has a savings account in his or her bank with the fixed, legal, lowest interest rate, which the bank grants to basically any customer. Who is he or she enslaving ?

Oberrheiner

Pelican
Don't know, we don't have that here.

Also I looked into pie 8, usury was forced upon him by the napoleon code, he had no choice and just had to come up with some theological blabla to rationalize it after the fact.
That's a general problem with organized religions, they are structures of power and as such if they want to keep this power they need to submit to greater powers.

It would be better imho for emj to write about how the current pope is pro-gays and pro-migrants and what the theological justification for this is ..
Usury is not a fight anymore in the usa, everybody worships money anyway.
Or maybe religion is simply not a fight anymore in the usa since everybody worships money - you tell me.

Sitting Bull

Sparrow
Don't know, we don't have that here.

Really ? But I thought your profile said you were from France. In France, about every bank has one or several types of "Compte Livret" as I described above

It would be better imho for emj to write about how the current pope is pro-gays and pro-migrants

Absolutely, but that's another subject.

Usury is not a fight anymore in the usa, everybody worships money anyway.
Or maybe religion is simply not a fight anymore in the usa since everybody worships money - you tell me.

I can't speak on the behalf of other people, but it is still a fight for EMJ and a few other Catholic authors, in any case. Only the future will tell if they have been heard ...

Oberrheiner

Pelican
Well, that's another debate entirely, but sure why not.

Basically all the livrets I know are based off of the livret a, which (afaik) must be mostly backed by sovereign bonds, and gets you 0,5% interests a year.
Also it should be said that if you do the real math france (like most other western countries) is actually in a recession, so even those 0,5% you get come from more debt.
So, putting you money there :
- makes you lose money (it's less than inflation).
- supports the plans france was more or less forced to ratify from (among others) the un, eg. replacement migration.
- puts your children even further into debt than we already are.

Sounds like a great plan for everybody ? :) But yes, you can do it if you insist, sure.
Or you could invest that money on yourself, for instance paying off the house, starting a new business (alone or with like-minded people), helping your kids get a better education (although in this country it's not really a money problem), etc.
It's not like there's a lack of ideas if you take 2 minutes to think about it.

PS there could be some inaccuracies in my data, I must admit I didn't check this subject since negative interest rates entered the equation, since they basically mean that you lose money by saving and earn some by getting debt, which sounds both crazy and not sustainable.
But I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong and there's a lot of money to be made on others this way.
Which might be right, I just have a problem with exploiting my fellow man.
Maybe some naive belief in do unto others etc.

Anyway, bedtime !

typtre

1.7%? That's not even the fake inflation, and if and when the dollar crashes all gains be wiped out anyway.

Buy physical gold if you just wanna forget about it.