Lunch Myth

epps_1920

Sparrow
This is probably branching off the fasting thread - I've skipped lunch the past few days, beyond some mild hunger, feel like I have more energy, especially with workouts.

So is lunch really needed? I figure most people could lose 10-30 pounds quickly just skipping it and drinking water. Then the savings in the pocketbook plus giant portion size (calories) if you go out for lunch with co-workers every workday... though most of my co-workers would scream murder if you took it away.

It is a societal social thing as well, not taking part can be seen as anti-social, even if you have a salad, which then you get called a "health nut".

Hannibal

Ostrich
Gold Member
Skipping breakfast or dinner is generally the more common way to casually fast, as you extend the amount of time that your body has not received any calories (so your body stays in fat burning mode longer).

Skipping lunch is probably also a fine way to do it, as most people are at work during lunchtime and usually resort to spending money to have it.

Intermittent fasting : keeps your abs lean and your wallet fat.

Viktor Zeegelaar

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
It's just a habit. If you do this for some weeks your body and mind will adapt to it and you'll not feel hungry at all. I did this for some time skipping breakfast. It was OK, but didn't really feel a difference so I eat 3 times a day now. I have to say I was also in a bit of a diet nut state then and usually extremes don't really work. A good solid midway in most things is preferred. The risk with more extreme types of diets or fasting as a daily habit is that you'll probably feel tempted at some time to just dive into Mars and Red Bull. Better to avoid that.

Zagor

Woodpecker
As I do shift work I really don't have a stable window of eating. 'lunch' (by which i mean the biggest meal of the day) for me can be at literally any time of the day. But usually it will be post workout (which I do fasted)

Batman_

Kingfisher
Lunch is definitely the most worthless meal of the day. It's completely unnecessary and does more harm than good. Personally I prefer to skip breakfast and lunch and either eat a light meal later in the afternoon with a late dinner, or just eat a big meal around 4pm and call it good for the day.

Skipping breakfast or dinner is generally the more common way to casually fast, as you extend the amount of time that your body has not received any calories (so your body stays in fat burning mode longer).

Skipping lunch is probably also a fine way to do it, as most people are at work during lunchtime and usually resort to spending money to have it.

This is true, but you can still benefit from eating breakfast and dinner only as long as you don't eat outside a 12 hour window or so.

Seeker79

Kingfisher
Most countries in the world do not eat lunch like in America. Even in countries where people do, it's not a full blown meal like Americans.

General McChrystal (Afghanistan ISAF and JSOC commander, now executive leadership consultant) used to eat only one meal a day. He routinely skipped lunch or other meals throughout his entire career but was able to maintain peak physical performance in specials operations and other demanding tours. He was doing fine.

elixirhtc

Pigeon
This is probably branching off the fasting thread - I've skipped lunch the past few days, beyond some mild hunger, feel like I have more energy, especially with workouts.

So is lunch really needed? I figure most people could lose 10-30 pounds quickly just skipping it and drinking water. Then the savings in the pocketbook plus giant portion size (calories) if you go out for lunch with co-workers every workday... though most of my co-workers would scream murder if you took it away.

It is a societal social thing as well, not taking part can be seen as anti-social, even if you have a salad, which then you get called a "health nut".
Yes, you are right that most of the people lose their weight by skipping lunch and drinking water. ...

LoveBug

Kingfisher

Right. I usually have a big ass lunch at 2-3, and can go to the next day at the same time without eating. It seems to break the day evenly on both sides